Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:02 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,165,715 times

Advertisements

Tukwila named America's most dangerous city | KING5.com

Surprised it's the most dangerous in America, not just WA. Is it really that bad?

Spokane comes in at number 22 on the list as well. What's going on Washington?

Here's the entire list - The 30 Most Dangerous Cities in America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 12:44 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Property crimes skewed the results. It's my opinion that only violent crimes should factor into the label "dangerous". Also, these are smaller populations. They didn't consider larger areas like Richmond, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc...

Old 05-21-2016, 12:52 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
This one makes more sense:
FBI’s Violent Crime Statistics For Every City In America « CBS Chicago

Old 05-21-2016, 02:08 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Uhm, that's a different definition of dangerous than I have for sure. For example, Tukwila average 3 murders/100,000 over the last 5 years and Detroit averaged 47 murders per 100,000 over the last 5 years. I mean it's not good to have a property crime or your car stolen but I can recover from that...there's no recovering from being murdered.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Fortunately, we are living in the "Safest City in WA" (Sammamish) but I never feel unsafe in Tukwila. Yes, we do make sure to not leave anything of values exposed in the car when there, but the same applies to everywhere else we go. Like Tall Traveler, I do not associate car prowls and other property crime with "dangerous". Murders, rapes, and other violent crimes make a city more dangerous. Numbers 2-9 on the most dangerous list all have much higher violent crime rates than Tukwila.

The 40 Safest Cities in Washington

Old 05-21-2016, 08:37 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
I think it's interesting to note that, of the cities on that list, Spokane actually had the lowest violent crime rate, and Tukwila had the fourth lowest.

I think it's alarming that we have so much petty property crime in this state, but I think that calling that list the Most "Dangerous" Cities had to have been done for sensationalism and/or done as click-bait.

That is the entire point, after all, of using FBI stats that distinguish "property" crime from "violent" crime - the overall crime rate in an area that results in risk to property vs. risk to human life - and this compilation just "conveniently" assumed that they were the same thing.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I think it's interesting to note that, of the cities on that list, Spokane actually had the lowest violent crime rate, and Tukwila had the fourth lowest.

I think it's alarming that we have so much petty property crime in this state, but I think that calling that list the Most "Dangerous" Cities had to have been done for sensationalism and/or done as click-bait.

That is the entire point, after all, of using FBI stats that distinguish "property" crime from "violent" crime - the overall crime rate in an area that results in risk to property vs. risk to human life - and this compilation just "conveniently" assumed that they were the same thing.
I agree that lumping property crime under the heading of dangerous crime is inferior to separating the two categories. But then cities with low rates of violent crime should likewise NOT be considered "safe". I live in an area where violent crime is low but property crime is high. I would never call it safe, because a sheriff told me that many burglars later add violent crime to their repertoire. They advance their "careers" as they become more able to escape much in the way of consequences.

I do not think having a house or car broken into, or anything stolen or damaged, is "safe." It is still a crime.

Another problem is that some people who live in places with little violent crime get very lax about locking doors, keeping valuables indoors when not being used, not leaving valuables visible through car windows, and watching for suspicious activity such as car prowls. In both my former neighborhood and in my present one, at least one neighbor has said, "I never lock the house or car." Or "There isn't much crime here." They think neighbors are watching out for each other.

Well, this ain't Mayberry. Retired folks rarely just sit in rocking chairs on a front porch watching everything go by. Add to that the fact that lots of lost tourists, realtors, and assorted other nonneighbors are always present, plus the often gray, cool, drizzly weather, and hardly anybody routinely sits outside. I walk miles all over town, and in this city of mostly retirees, there is exactly ONE house where someone often sits on the porch just watching the world go by. When I was a kid and we really did play in the streets of my neighborhood, parents were not hovering right over us, but you could bet that at least one or two were periodically looking outside to see what was going on. Things got noticed and acted on.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:52 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I agree that lumping property crime under the heading of dangerous crime is inferior to separating the two categories. But then cities with low rates of violent crime should likewise NOT be considered "safe". I live in an area where violent crime is low but property crime is high. I would never call it safe, because a sheriff told me that many burglars later add violent crime to their repertoire. They advance their "careers" as they become more able to escape much in the way of consequences.

I do not think having a house or car broken into, or anything stolen or damaged, is "safe." It is still a crime.

Another problem is that some people who live in places with little violent crime get very lax about locking doors, keeping valuables indoors when not being used, not leaving valuables visible through car windows, and watching for suspicious activity such as car prowls. In both my former neighborhood and in my present one, at least one neighbor has said, "I never lock the house or car." Or "There isn't much crime here." They think neighbors are watching out for each other.

Well, this ain't Mayberry. Retired folks rarely just sit in rocking chairs on a front porch watching everything go by. Add to that the fact that lots of lost tourists, realtors, and assorted other nonneighbors are always present, plus the often gray, cool, drizzly weather, and hardly anybody routinely sits outside. I walk miles all over town, and in this city of mostly retirees, there is exactly ONE house where someone often sits on the porch just watching the world go by. When I was a kid and we really did play in the streets of my neighborhood, parents were not hovering right over us, but you could bet that at least one or two were periodically looking outside to see what was going on. Things got noticed and acted on.
While I agree with you to some extent, and crime is crime - and is bad no matter what kind of crimes it is, I still don't think that you can say that cities with high violent crime/low property crime (like Detroit or St. Louis) aren't as bad as cities with low violent crime/high property crime (like Tukwila), by the reasoning that some unknown percent of those property crimes might elevate to violent crime in the future.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:46 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Very misleading. Tukwila is mostly non-residential (Boeing, railroads, etc.) and has a low population density relative to its area., which inflates per capita crime data. Most crime is transient, committed by non-residents.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:10 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Very misleading statistics (yes, you can prove anything with stats). By mixing all crimes together, not categorizing by population size, and ignoring the variance in reporting rates, the term 'dangerous' is nothing more than hype.

There is a big difference between homicide, theft from an open car, or graffiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington