Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 80,983 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Olympia or surrounding area and want to know alot more about the areas. I would like to know more the neighborhoods and schools, I have a 10 year old and want to make sure that he goes to good school. I have worked in the HVAC and currently work in a R&D lab for a mfg company. If anyone can give me some good information it would be nice and appreciated. I hope everyone has a good day, afternoon and night. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times
Olympia is a nice place to live and a great place to raise a family. The Olympia school district is very highly regarded. http://www.greatschools.net/city/Olympia/WA

Check out these threads for further info:

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...g-olympia.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ml#post7455936
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...d-olympia.html

Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the reply and the information. I am hoping to make a trip up there as soon as i can to take a look around and see what it is like. In the mean time may be i can make some friends here so when i do come i will know in way someone up there. I see your name all over the forum and glad that you are there to answer questions that so many ask, so keep up the good work.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache man 25 View Post
Thanks for the reply and the information. I am hoping to make a trip up there as soon as i can to take a look around and see what it is like. In the mean time may be i can make some friends here so when i do come i will know in way someone up there. I see your name all over the forum and glad that you are there to answer questions that so many ask, so keep up the good work.
Olympia's a pretty nice place overall. Be sure not to speed on the freeway going past it, of course; the State Patrol logically has its HQ in Oly, and they take it a little personally.

If you really want to get a feel, though, you arguably should have visited in January. That would give you an idea of the winter, which is largely rainy and chillier than you'd expect for a place that doesn't spend much time below freezing. If you can handle the dark, gloomy winter you will be fine.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 AM

j_k_k, thanks for the heads up on the police. I know how they can be, the police where i live are very strick on speeding too. I was planning on visiting there sometime in Dec., Jan. or Feb. just for that purpose. I have not made plans that far ahead but that is a time frame i am considering. Is there any good places that we can go to get a good feel of the city - restaurants, parks, neighborhoods -the reasonable ones and night life places - ones that are respectable. Oh, ca nyou give me some names of companies that i should keep mind for possible work, that would be very much appreciated.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Apache man 25,

You might want to check with Sunset Air. They're a large company in Lacey (next to Olympia) that specializes in heating, cooling, sheet metal, engeneering, etc. Sunset Air | About
Olympia is a great place to live. Good luck with your move.

Sandy

Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache man 25 View Post
j_k_k, thanks for the heads up on the police. I know how they can be, the police where i live are very strick on speeding too. I was planning on visiting there sometime in Dec., Jan. or Feb. just for that purpose. I have not made plans that far ahead but that is a time frame i am considering. Is there any good places that we can go to get a good feel of the city - restaurants, parks, neighborhoods -the reasonable ones and night life places - ones that are respectable. Oh, ca nyou give me some names of companies that i should keep mind for possible work, that would be very much appreciated.
Much employment in Oly is with the state. If you're good at finding government jobs, you might find one, though more likely they're laying people off. We have a gazillion $ budget shortfall and our governor will soon be boiling her pumps to eat the leather.

The only Oly landmark I am familiar with is Evergreen, the college. Evergreen is an 'alternative' state higher education institution. Their mascot is the Geoducks (pronounce this 'gooey ducks', don't ask me why). Honestly, I suspect the job market will be tight there because of the state budget cuts, and you may have a tough hunt for work.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
Apache man 25,

You might want to check with Sunset Air. They're a large company in Lacey (next to Olympia) that specializes in heating, cooling, sheet metal, engeneering, etc. Sunset Air | About
Olympia is a great place to live. Good luck with your move.

Sandy
Thanks for the information, i will keep this in mind. I am not ready to move just yet but i am doing some serious searching. I will keep you in mind for furture questions on housing and nieghborhoods if that is ok with you. I will keep in touch and let you know when we visit the area so that i can get an idea of the land. Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Much employment in Oly is with the state. If you're good at finding government jobs, you might find one, though more likely they're laying people off. We have a gazillion $ budget shortfall and our governor will soon be boiling her pumps to eat the leather.

The only Oly landmark I am familiar with is Evergreen, the college. Evergreen is an 'alternative' state higher education institution. Their mascot is the Geoducks (pronounce this 'gooey ducks', don't ask me why). Honestly, I suspect the job market will be tight there because of the state budget cuts, and you may have a tough hunt for work.
It is that way most every where, but i hope by the time that i am ready to move the job market will have improved some. I hav a daughter that will need to graduate first before we move. My son will hav time to make new friends easy enough. I do however would like to know if there are any gymnastic schools or classes around for my son. If you don't know maybe some else does. Anyway thanks for the information and have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington