Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 AM

275 posts, read 793,223 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into retiring to the western WA region in about 3 years. I've been looking at MLS websites for the areas I am interested in (Poulsbo area, Olympia area) and noted that the property taxes shown for an average $300-350K house is in the $3500/yr range. My sister who also has looked into WA told me that she heard that the property tax issue in WA is getting outrageous. I take that to mean that they are increasing dramatically. I'm trying to get a feel if WA property taxes are going to rise to stratospheric levels (such as maybe in Long Island, NY or northern NJ). I'm hoping that this is not the case as I really fell in love with WA over the 3 times that I have visited there. Any info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
My property taxes in Clark county are about 1% of appraised value (which is certainly better than the 2.7% I was paying in Texas). In the three years I have been here my taxes have gone down slightly every year.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
A few years ago, the WA taxpayers passed legislation that the state could no longer raise the tax rates without a vote from the public. We still got scr**ed because instead of raising the tax rates, the just raised the property values every year instead of every 5 years. My taxes went up approx $300/yr for about 5 years in a row. Prior to that they went up $20-50 a year.
There is a provision for senior taxpayers over the age of 65 that they can have a reduction in their taxes. The retired people next door to me paid only $105/yr, but when they sold their home to their son the taxes went up to $1500/yr. Of course, you have to prove financial need in order to qualify for this.
Currently taxes are about 1% of appraised value, however, real estate isn't cheap in WA so the taxes are still high.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
You should be interested to read this thread form a couple of months ago with a similar discussion.

Do you think Washington state taxes are burdensome?

Old 05-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I love everything about Washington except the Property Tax Situation and it's not the Tax Rate... it's the ability of the Tax Assessor to raise or even double the Assessed Value.

I did a lot of research and WA Voters passed an Initiative several years back to limit Property Tax Increases which was thrown out several years later by the WA Supreme Court.

Doesn't really matter what the Tax Rate is if the amount of your Property Tax can double in 3 or 4 years...

There are some very active grass roots groups lobbying for Predictability in Taxes... so far, it's been difficult going.

Good your looking into this because it's easier to plan ahead than go into shock opening your property tax bill.

On a side note... WA has a hefty fee they levy on every property sale... something to be aware of...

Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks for your input. I hope the tax situation works itself out in the next few years. I really like the western Washington area but if the taxes can double over the course of a few years, well, that takes me out of the game. Too bad

Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM

291 posts, read 948,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
On a side note... WA has a hefty fee they levy on every property sale... something to be aware of...
Hi Ultrarunner. I had not heard about the property sale fee. Is this imposed by the state or the real estate company? Also, have you heard what that fee might be running?
That could sure increase the cost of buying a home.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
No, it increases the cost of selling a home.

I believe the Washington state excise tax on the sale of a home is approximately 2% of the selling price.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
No, it increases the cost of selling a home.

I believe the Washington state excise tax on the sale of a home is approximately 2% of the selling price.
Yes, it varies by location as it can be assessed by the local authority as well as the state. The majority of locations have a combined rate of 1.78%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington