Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times

Advertisements

Had to laugh at that last comment as it is 94 at my house today!! Yesterday mowed and weedeated came in the house thinking I was sick. Turned on news and heard it was 90 degrees at 6pm.... didn't even think to look at temp. Although this is not normal weather for June... you will learn to embrace it living in WA as it doesn't happen often...don't worry the rain will return. It will be amazing if it isn't cold and rainy on the 4th of July!

and in 30 years never had AC .... as others said keep the drapes drawn and open the windows in evening..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 PM

69 posts, read 255,210 times
Thanks everyone for your imput...I appreciate it

Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
I live in seven lakes near Arlington and my house faces west to I have 4 large windows that get the hottest sun.
I only use one box fan. You can buy one at Wal Mart for about $15.00. It is placed in the kitchen window facing out so the air blows out.
During the night and up until about 4pm I open the windows and doors in my two front bedrooms.
The fan draws the cool air through the house and blows it out through the kitchen window. At 4pm, I open the window in the master bedroom which is then shaded and that cool air blows through the house. I also turn on the fan in the guest bath that the two front bedrooms share. Hot air rises, so this draws out the top layer of air from the hallway as the cool air is flowing through.
I help the coolness by watering around the house at night.
When you plan your cross ventilation, think about the coolest source of air and where you want to draw it. Depending on the size of your home, you may need more than one fan. If you are particularly sensitive, I would suggest a portable air conditioner. It will cost you about $400. It sits on the floor and has a hose that discharges out a nearby window. It is easy to move it from room to room. If your house is two stories, cross ventilation may be harder so plan a camp out, cook out with your kids and enjoy the summer in your back yard..
We ordinarily only have about 10 days that are 85-90 degrees, but usually not this early in the season. We had a very cold winter so we could be in for a very warm summer this year.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Had to laugh at that last comment as it is 94 at my house today!! Yesterday mowed and weedeated came in the house thinking I was sick. Turned on news and heard it was 90 degrees at 6pm.... didn't even think to look at temp. Although this is not normal weather for June... you will learn to embrace it living in WA as it doesn't happen often...don't worry the rain will return. It will be amazing if it isn't cold and rainy on the 4th of July!

and in 30 years never had AC .... as others said keep the drapes drawn and open the windows in evening..
LOL I did the same thing. I waited for Sears for 3 weeks to fix the riding mower and I was getting desperate. I mowed in the sun from 11:30 until 2:30. Then I went out to run errands. It was 87 degrees! yipes. As I am an old lady, today I am in the house taking asprin for the pain and slathering myself with face cream for the sunburn. LOL

Old 06-03-2009, 07:27 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4u View Post
Hi ☺...so the place we are living in has no A/C. Today it got to 80..warm but managable. So I hear it gets about another 10 degrees warmer in the summer. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with no A/C. I have fans and everything but just wanting some advice from people who live here and have dealt with the summers. Thanks in advance ☺☺☺

I don't know if your new to the State of Washington but the current weather is rather unusual for June. Usually June is fairly cloudy.

Bellingham hardly ever reaches 90 degrees. In fact its average high in the summer is somewhere in the mid to low 70s.

The highest official temp ever officially recorded in bellingham was 91 degrees in 1990. That shows you how rare it is.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM

68 posts, read 215,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
I don't know if your new to the State of Washington but the current weather is rather unusual for June. Usually June is fairly cloudy.

Bellingham hardly ever reaches 90 degrees. In fact its average high in the summer is somewhere in the mid to low 70s.

The highest official temp ever officially recorded in bellingham was 91 degrees in 1990. That shows you how rare it is.
In the 3+ years I spent in WA, it did get hot enough to want A/C at some point every summer.

It's a matter of personal comfort, not a matter of looking up weather statistics. To me: if you think it's hot and you want A/C, go get an A/C. If you can live with it, then good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington