Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 08:24 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
moved here from so cal for job in 1979 yes the rain here is that bad i have never gotten used to the grey damp constant rainy days 8-9 months of the year can get depressing unless u like hibernating inside away from moss grey skies wet n gloomy
Daylight (5000K) LED light bulbs have become pretty inexpensive now (Wal-Mart if you dare or Amazon for me). I've replaced my CFL bulbs with LED bulbs and just leave them on most of the time. 6500K CFL bulbs are also available. Those are really bright and do consume more power than LED bulbs, but look on the bright side and consider them supplemental heating. I don't think that I have ever been depressed by the weather, I just get tired of it and find the bright lights "uplifting". (I'm surrounded by trees, and it's never naturally very light inside even when it is sunny outside.)

I just did a quick check on Expedia and, besides food, the complete cost (including taxes and other fees) of a flight and week's stay in Las Vegas is around $540. Others like to go to Hawaii, but that would be more expensive.

Since you moved to Wherever, WA for a job, you should be able to afford one of those ideas.

Disclaimer: I have not read through this thread completely, so sorry if those ideas have been mentioned before.

Last edited by Olympian2; 03-13-2016 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 PM

268 posts, read 366,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Neither extreme is a godsend for long periods.
Now THAT is the smartest thing I have heard so far this year..¡!!!!!!!
Since I moved to Washington because I was sick of heat, sun, and droughts, >= 3 of us agree.

Rather than an impressive house in Washington or Deserton, I would prefer modest houses in both locations. I would leave Washington soon after Samhain and return with the hummingbirds.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
I'll throw in here with an update on what I think is the best approach to the northwest weather conundrum for those about to move here. Statistical measurement of the weather here always falls short of the "experiential" reality, that's to say that you really do have to live here for awhile to see if this clime is something that you can put up with---or not. From the other posts here that describe the likes of Pennsylvania weather I'd imagine the same sentiment applies, you gotta experience it, and yeah, charts and graphs don't mean squat..

I just returned from the Palm Springs area, we went there for some sun, and man we got our share of it, ninety one on most days, with the dust, wind, and desert blandness we really did feel like outsiders. I guess that the OP in this thread did move, and hopefully found some relief from the California heat and dryness, as for anyone else thinking about the prospect of relocating to the Pacific NW I'd say come here, spend enough time here to really get dug in, if it isn't for you, so be it, we can't all live in one place anyway.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Too funny, jertheber. I also recently came back from Palm Springs. When we flew there, the predicted high was 92, and I feared it would be too much of a good thing after living in the PNW for a few years.

Walking off that plane, through the terminal, and into the dry sun felt great! I guess all those previous years of living with hot summers, plus taking countless trips to various desert areas in winter and spring, had an adaptive effect that never really wore off.

What I noticed upon returning to a damp, cool Sea-Tac, was that my allergies almost immediately kicked up. The temp change didn't faze me. Humidity might be another story.

The OP, some six years ago, said he or she LIKED rain. I wonder where he or she ended up, and how that turned out.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
What about the rumor I've heard elsewhere that Seattleites typically winter vacation in Hawaii. Does anyone here know anyone who does that? I'd never heard of it when I lived in Seattle, but people living elsewhere mention it, as if it were a thing. Maybe it's an exclusive socio-economic group that does that?

Old 03-22-2016, 12:50 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Hawaii, Mexico, California, Arizona.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about the rumor I've heard elsewhere that Seattleites typically winter vacation in Hawaii. Does anyone here know anyone who does that? I'd never heard of it when I lived in Seattle, but people living elsewhere mention it, as if it were a thing. Maybe it's an exclusive socio-economic group that does that?
I don't know about Seattleites, but tons of people where I'm from in NE WA have winter homes in Arizona.

Of course, all those people have much more $$$ than I do.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I don't know about Seattleites, but tons of people where I'm from in NE WA have winter homes in Arizona.

Of course, all those people have much more $$$ than I do.
We just got a winter home in Arizona. Well, it is just our 5th wheel on a lot with a small casita.

It costs us $90/month or $1100 a YEAR. You might be able to afford that.

I think the drive down and back up costs us more for gas than the Arizona lot.

My wife just could not handle the Wenatchee weather from November through March.....so we spent the big bucks to get her out of here during those times.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In PT and the likely the San Juan islands yes,. Hawaii, south Pacific or South America seem like seasonal or longer destinations. In PT, we have quite a great group of Pacific Islander's as residents too.

I would say Hawaii is part of our natural "drift" here. It surely is not socio economic. It's a way of life.. A cultural thing.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I've been having dreams about Yuma, AZ, lately...I don't know why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington