Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:09 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed exploring all different areas of Washington, time permitting. The variety of geography, climate & terrain is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Yup, and waaaaay south of I-90 there is plenty of eye-pleasing scenery along the OR-WA border. The drive along the Columbia River clearly shows the transition from dripping greenery, through the transition zone around Hood River, and then turning to dry hills eastward. It is not green there but it has a beauty in its own golden way. Probably varies depending on time of year. Gray skies and constant rain, despite greenery, is ugly to some people, too. Lots of different settings to suit different tastes.

I want to go hiking in "the channeled scablands." LOL, what a name.

Last edited by pikabike; 04-13-2016 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
It is a technical geologic term. Why would do you think it is funny??

http://www.jstor.org/stable/30066357...n_tab_contents

Here is where it was first defined.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yup, and waaaaay south of I-90 there is plenty of eye-pleasing scenery along the OR-WA border. The drive along the Columbia River clearly shows the transition from dripping greenery, through the transition zone around Hood River, and then turning to dry hills eastward. It is not green there but it has a beauty in its own golden way. Probably varies depending on time of year. Gray skies and constant rain, despite greenery, is ugly to some people, too. Lots of different settings to suit different tastes.

I want to go hiking in "the channeled scablands." LOL, what a name.
Absolutely. You can see the geography changing right before your eyes. While it may be more brown east of Hood River, you also get 10-15 degrees of additional heat, except for deep winter. This is nice in the Spring and Fall, but in the Summer means "turn on the AC". The Dalles and the Tri-Cities/Yakima tend to get the hottest summer weather in the Pacific Northwest, with Boise right behind, but a somewhat different region.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It is a technical geologic term. Why would do you think it is funny??

The Channeled Scablands of the Columbia Plateau on JSTOR

Here is where it was first defined.
I think it is funny because it clearly is a name NOT invented by marketers, tourism promoters, and so on. One of these days somebody will propose calling it something else, to attract more visitors. I hope they fail at getting it renamed. Scab fits, if you think of the earth's surface as its skin.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:28 PM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Eastern WA beautiful? Only the Lake Chelan and Spokane parts (US2 and some of I-90 line) have some beauty. South of that is ugly desert with sunnier and drier weather.

you really don't get around much, do you?

Teanaways are east of the crest and is our go to place for spectacular hikes when the gray and wet and dismal Wetside hikes get tiresome. I used to be able to add "uncrowded" but alas, the word got out and the teeming masses are escaping the gray and heading over to the sunny side in droves now.

Also, that particular area has pretty much no jobs. There always seems to be that tradeoff......

Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
you really don't get around much, do you?
I have been to a lot of states and countries and that is my opinion. I have seen much better looking places than Eastern WA.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Lets see...Methow Valley, North Cascades, a long stretch of the Columbia that pools into lakes and forests in NE WA. That is a fairly large area. Granted, TriCities and Ritzville did not appeal to me. Every state has its unattractive parts, and "unattractive" is highly subjective anyway.
This.

We're chomping at the bit for the North Cascades Highway to be re-opened. I am personally a fan of the greener, forested land, so generally northern Washington, whether west or east of the Cascades, works nicely for me.

It is so subjective. My partner happens to really like the places farther south as well. We've spent some time in the Yakima area (Manastash Ridge and similar areas)- it just does nothing for me.

And, because I love the green, forested land so much, the weather doesn't bother me as much as it might otherwise. To me, it's a trade-off. Grey, wet winters equal excellent times outdoors in late spring and summer.

Right now I'm just excited about going camping on the coast this weekend. Weather is supposed to be really nice. Two weekends in a row in spring? This must be a record.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingirisheyes View Post
I'm coming from So Cal and most likely moving to Gig Harbor. And I've read so many posts that warn about how hard it is to adjust to WA's weather. It rains ALL the time? Its depressing? Really?

Because here's the thing..... I enjoy the rain. Lack of rain is a drawback to CA, if you ask me. Rain means things aren't as dusty outside. Rain means the air quality is fresher. Rain means the vegetation is thriving. Rain means less intense sun exposure which means less risk for skin cancer. Those are good things.

So is the rain really THAT hard to adapt to? My husband and I weren't like most Californians who chose Hawaii in June for their honeymoon. We chose Ireland in October. We're pro-rain. We put on our rain jackets and walked around Dublin and didn't care that it was raining. Since when does rain hurt anyone?

But we also have 3 small children so are kids going stir-crazy in WA because they don't get out enough? Do people just put their kids in raincoats and let them play outside on rainy days? Is an outdoor birthday party unheard of (we have July, September and January bdays. I know January will be indoor. July could most likely be outdoor. What about September?)

Is WA really as depressing as everyone says? Or is it just attitude? Suddenly, I'm scared to death that my kids will grow up as depressed gothics, bemoaning their overcast existence.

Is mold a serious issue? Do things ever dry out or is everything damp, all the time? Can we expect some rain every day, all year? Part of the day? Weeks of dry weather followed by rain? I don't know what to REALLY expect and its hard to read these posts and wonder how much is true and how much is perspective.
i live in gig harbor nice but the rain is very depressing

Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
i live in gig harbor yes rthe rain starts in october until june very depressing gets old real quick u someimes wonder if it will ever be sunny n warm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington