Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,664 times

Advertisements

Im interested in moving to washington state but have not been able to find reliable fact on things like state tax, yearly car inspections fees, and various forms of money that a person would have to spend to move and live in Washington state. Any help on locating information on the web or otherwise would be helpful. Im planning to attend college for Computer Security either before or after the move and eventually would like a job in the stated career field. Im not to picky about were i would live so long as i can make it out to the snow resorts during the winter in a hour or two.

once again thanks for any info that is provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
In Thurston County, we don't have any car inspection/smog check. YMMV, depending on the county you choose to reside in.

Property taxes are high relative to California (no prop 13 here), as are food prices and water rates, but gas prices are lower. Car tags are low and driver's license renewal is every five years. Where I live, I get in and out of the DMV usually within about 15 minutes in nice, clean offices as opposed to the under-air conditioned zoo holding pens where you are trapped in a line for an hour or more in CA.

One other thing: the speed limits here are made to generate traffic tickets since the state troopers are basically used as a shakedown racket to generate income for the state rather than as a real law enforcement agency. They also pull a lot of people over for things such as not wearing a seat belts (I don't understand folks who don't wear them anyway) and other ticky tack stuff. Car theft is rampant here like it is in CA.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
The only thing that came as a real surprise is learning first hand that there really is no limit how much the the county can increase individual property taxes...

I'm in a neighborhood where taxes went up 30 to 40% one year over last...

I know of no way to budget for this and it is my only WA regret... this would my only reason for selling and was not a problem when I originally bought...

The WA Supreme Court threw out PROP 747 that limited tax increases... so now individuals are at the mercy of the County...

Old 06-28-2009, 08:03 AM

275 posts, read 793,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The only thing that came as a real surprise is learning first hand that there really is no limit how much the the county can increase individual property taxes...

I'm in a neighborhood where taxes went up 30 to 40% one year over last...

I know of no way to budget for this and it is my only WA regret... this would my only reason for selling and was not a problem when I originally bought...

The WA Supreme Court threw out PROP 747 that limited tax increases... so now individuals are at the mercy of the County...
Is there any relief on the horizon to alleviate the potential for huge year-to-year property tax increases? You mention that the WA Supreme Court threw out Prop 747. Is there any movement by the state legislators to address this issue in the next 2-3 years? Being in FL, I don't follow the local issues in WA very well. However, I am retiring in the next 2-3 years and Washington WAS on my short list. If there is always going to be a possibility that property taxes can jump by that amount, it would seem that the politicians are shooting themselves in the foot. And sadly, I will have to consider more tax friendly locales.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Yes... there are several groups dedicated to WA property tax issues...

Shelly Taylor, co-founder of Predictable Tax keeps people informed of Bills in the legislature and County Tax measures...

I'm sure not everyone has seen such dramatic increases... I can only speak to mine and that of my Neighbors in Thurston County...

My Home Property Tax has increased each and every year and I have not had any success pleading my case with the Assessor's Office.

I did plenty of research before buying and I-747 was the law of the land...

Other than the uncertainty and lack of predictability in Property Taxes... unless predictability means always an increase... WA is truly a beautiful State... I just wish the political end of things would finally get straightened out... we did not know who won the election for Governor a few years back for weeks... and this was in the midst of the I-747 mess.

There are several Threads pertaining to WA taxes here on City-Data.com

Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,921 times
I didn't see it on here, but I wanted to mention that we do not have a state income tax like most other states do. I don't know anything about property taxes because I don't own a home.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM

21 posts, read 76,471 times
Keep in mind that Washington State has about 9.2% unemployment. Don't move here without a serious emergency fund.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,664 times
thanks for the info. i continue my research and i just might move in the next year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington