Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:30 AM

14 posts, read 50,615 times

Advertisements

after moving from fly-over country to seattle and hearing all the smack talking, i was curious and took some drives in the area to see why people up here yap and yap about how awful it is there. sheesh, i don't see what all the fuss is about. and who can afford to buy in seattle anyway? not me. that's when we started looking elsewhere.

we just started our house hunt in tacoma and i must say - oh my goodness, this is helpful! i got emailed the link from a friend all the way on the east coast. (she lives in another area with two rival cities and badmouthing of the smaller one, so i knew better than to just believe all the rumours.) speaking strictly as an outsider who's been doing a lot of driving around, i can also say that i haven't yet experienced the same bad attitude. someone in tacoma called it the "seattle freeze" and laughed out loud about the all-bad all-the-time reputation.

thankee buckets for the maps. how cool is it to do that for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM

394 posts, read 1,006,849 times
well this post area is refreshing!!!! i moved to the tacoma area in the mid 80s after living most of my life in the seattle area and wandering around the country for a few yrs. i was not thrilled to move there to say the least, but needed the work. now although i love and make many trips to downtown seattle i would NEVER move back there. the traffic and congestion would be unbearable. the tacoma area DOES have alot to offer and i love what they've done with the downtown area. having said that there are parts of south tacoma and most of east tacoma that i would never buy a house to live in. but it's still not nearly as bad as "the bad parts" of other cities around the country

p.s. great job magrack

Last edited by scootertrash61; 08-06-2007 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 20,487 times
Question What happened to the maps?

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, but I have been lurking around for some time. The maps that Magrack made for this tread have been my bible as of late. I am frantic at the possibility of them having been removed. Is it just my computer acting up or are they gone? Darn, I knew I should have printed them while I had the chance. Well anyway, Magrack I want to send a huge thank you your way. Those maps have been a huge help to me and I'm sure countless others. I vote to bring them back, and if it's just my computer then disregard all but the thank you.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,039,535 times
Hi sassypants. Yes, I see what you mean. I took a look "inside" magrack's post and the links are still there but are dead which means that he either took them out of his account at his hosting site or the hosting site he used is down or no longer exists.

I'll try to contact him but I see he hasn't checked into this site for some time now.

Yeah, I should've made copies of his maps. They were a great reference.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:56 PM

67 posts, read 256,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Use the search function; type in "Tacoma" or click on my name to see my posts re Tacoma for a different view.

I don't feel like going over this again.

Keep in mind, many people posting, "Tacoma-all bad, all the time" never lived there or are mis-informed or are repeating gossip or are narrow minded enough to exclude anywhere except where they live, as an option or are just being foolish...you choose.
yes I agree with you..I'm a native of this area and..I find on the forums that none of these people even lived there for more then 5 years!!..to me that's not enough time to call a place your home..or even judge it...I being a traveler of many different cities..have found that you should do research on any place you'll move to..all cities have crime some worse then others..all cities have good and bad people..But what attracts you to a place is probably what's really going to get you to move. And that's why you should move!..I recently moved it took me an average of 4 months searching.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Hi sassypants. Yes, I see what you mean. I took a look "inside" magrack's post and the links are still there but are dead which means that he either took them out of his account at his hosting site or the hosting site he used is down or no longer exists.

I'll try to contact him but I see he hasn't checked into this site for some time now.

Yeah, I should've made copies of his maps. They were a great reference.
I went on a hiatus, but the links were valid...maybe my photo hosting site had problems.

In any event all appears to be ok now.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,039,535 times
Great! Thanks again, magrack!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 23,188 times
I lived in Lakewood, Steilacoom and University Place... Steilacoom by the water is lovely and so is University Place. I was in the Lakewood and Steilacoom school district from 5 grade to 12... I didn't like to schools much, but I did love the scenery.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 36,811 times
Magrack...This is extremely helpfull and I appreciate your diligence and hard work on the maps!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:07 AM

4 posts, read 14,376 times
Not sure why, but 'magrack' didn't go south of 512. I know that when I was growing up in Parkland, I would have considered it super green. . I no longer live in that area & wonder what 'magrack' thinks of it now, including Midland & Spanaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington