Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,155 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are native Seattleites. Seattle was a wonderful place to grow up in the 1950s and 1960s. It was a big city with a small town feel to it. People were friendly. There has been an enormous influx of outsiders coming to the area over the years. They have been drawn here by all the good things that made Seattle what it was. Then once they got here, they tried to make it something else. We grew up in Ballard, which used to be full of single family residences. Now they are torn down regularly and condominiums and apartment buildings stand in their place. People live like rats in cages, stacked side by side and on top of each other. There is no place to park in these neighborhoods anymore. Even the folks in higher up government positions are recruited from outside the area. When they get here, they have no interest in preserving what Seattle is and has been over the years because they know nothing about it. My husband and I moved away from the beloved Seattle of our childhood two years ago. It simply doesn't exist anymore. I do, however, still work in downtown Seattle, and we are only 16 freeway miles away.

Every day I see rudeness caused by cell phone use in public places or in traffic. People cut themselves off from others by listening to their iPods. Yes, people tend to hibernate in their homes during cold, ugly weather. They come out in the spring. I try to smile at people who make eye contact as I walk through the park or down the street, and many of them smile back. Some even smile first. I make sure to thank people when they hold a door for me or let me get on the elevator first. I am not afraid to violate elevator etiquette (rather like urinal etiquette, I imagine--face forward, no looking at people, no talking). I wave to acknowledge a good deed done in traffic. In general, I do what I can to make other people's day just a little bit better. I think this is more common in native Washingtons than in transplants to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,039,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonitaOlmer View Post
My husband and I are native Seattleites. Seattle was a wonderful place to grow up in the 1950s and 1960s. It was a big city with a small town feel to it. People were friendly. There has been an enormous influx of outsiders coming to the area over the years. They have been drawn here by all the good things that made Seattle what it was. Then once they got here, they tried to make it something else. We grew up in Ballard, which used to be full of single family residences. Now they are torn down regularly and condominiums and apartment buildings stand in their place. People live like rats in cages, stacked side by side and on top of each other. There is no place to park in these neighborhoods anymore. Even the folks in higher up government positions are recruited from outside the area. When they get here, they have no interest in preserving what Seattle is and has been over the years because they know nothing about it. My husband and I moved away from the beloved Seattle of our childhood two years ago. It simply doesn't exist anymore. I do, however, still work in downtown Seattle, and we are only 16 freeway miles away.

Every day I see rudeness caused by cell phone use in public places or in traffic. People cut themselves off from others by listening to their iPods. Yes, people tend to hibernate in their homes during cold, ugly weather. They come out in the spring. I try to smile at people who make eye contact as I walk through the park or down the street, and many of them smile back. Some even smile first. I make sure to thank people when they hold a door for me or let me get on the elevator first. I am not afraid to violate elevator etiquette (rather like urinal etiquette, I imagine--face forward, no looking at people, no talking). I wave to acknowledge a good deed done in traffic. In general, I do what I can to make other people's day just a little bit better. I think this is more common in native Washingtons than in transplants to the area.

You made my point better than I could, Bonita. Well said.

We grew up in Seattle when times were definitely different. I spent my childhood in the area between Green Lake and Wallingford in the same time era as you. Seattle was a different place then. Yes, I too long for those days.

I get irritated when all these kind folks start posting about how frozen and withdrawn people in Seattle are ...how they're "polite but not friendly." I don't really believe that's what Seattle was 40+ years ago. I know it wasn't from my recollections, and you also sound like you don't believe it either.

The area has changed because of the influx of people from all over the country. I still claim that you can't put a blanket label on all Seattlites because Seattle is now made up of people from everywhere. That being the case, how can everybody be so much alike? I don't think they can. And even if they could, it isn't how the majority were like back when we were kids.

*argh* So few seem to believe us!

Thanks for posting.

--'rocco

Old 04-30-2007, 09:50 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,073 times
E Roy: I thought I heard this year is the last year the dinner train is running. Last call!

Bonita: At least it looks like the cell phone law is going to pass (only allows hands free cell phone use). It's *badly* needed.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,231,773 times
Is Seattle any different from any other city across America? Seattle seemed to have been quite different years ago according to many. You can really say that about any american city. I see people up here really resisted change with things like public transportation and as a result we're playing catch up. 'It had a small town feel to it'. Well so did Dallas, Denver, San Diego, Austin and just about every other city. Also after talking to and reading different articles Seattle was not all roses for blacks and other minorities back in the good old days. I also remember talking to an older couple who moved here from Oakland California. They found signs on their car saying 'Go home we don't want you here'. But again, Seattle was such a nice city back then.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Actually, sad to say, you're right, pwright.

I understand what you're implying about "old Seattle." You're also right about other cities being the same in that era; it wasn't exclusive to Seattle.

Seattle was essentially segregated back in the 50's and before as were most large cities. Blacks lived in certain neighborhoods, Asians in another, etc. And yes, there was much more overt racism and non-acceptance. But again, that's not something exclusive to Seattle.

There were some ethnic minorities that ventured out into "predominantly white" neighborhoods and did meet some instances of not being accepted. Some neighborhoods actually prohibited "minorities" from residing there and, believe me, it wasn’t just in exclusive areas such as Broadmoor. There were many racially restrictive covenants all over Seattle and King County.

Look at this list and I think you’ll all be flabbergasted:

http://depts.washington.edu/civilr/covenants.htm

Now... I know this first hand. Why? Because I’m not Caucasian and grew up in a “white neighborhood” in Seattle in the 1950s. Yes, I was spit at, yes, I was beat up for no reason other than ethnic background, yes, I was called names on a daily basis. I clearly remember my mother continually telling me “stick and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.” Those words didn’t matter much, though, when a group of 6 kids beat the sh** out of me.

So now you’ll ask why I contend that Seattle was a friendly place back then? Well, even though all that I went through in childhood, it seemed there were many more warm, caring, friendly, non-prejudiced, non-racist Caucasians than those that were overtly racist. Yes, there were a LOT of narrow-minded individuals back then but when I think back on the really NICE people I recall coming in contact with through Boy Scouts, Little League, church activities, and the like, that’s what most sticks in my mind now as an “old f***.”

So, I stick with my original contention. Seattle to me, even back then, never struck me as a place with a lot of unfriendly, cold, and uncaring individuals.

Thanks.

--’rocco

Old 05-02-2007, 09:50 PM

39 posts, read 172,352 times
This must be one of the most frequently-recurring topics for Seattle. Search the archive and you'll see many theories. But, I think I may have a new one! It's based on the city-data.com statistics that appear under "Washington." While several have pointed out that most Seattleites are from other parts of the country, as Scirocco22 has pointed out, Seattle's growth has been from all over the world. The city-data.com stats show that Washington grew by 501,677 between 2000 and 2006. Of these, 129,809 were from elsewhere in the U.S., and 157,950 were immigrants. The balance was the excess of births over deaths. So, the majority of adult-aged growth is foreign.

This may lead to an increased sense of isolation vs. a more homogeneous situation, since different cultural groups seem to naturally orient toward their own. If you look at most states, you'll see the same thing. California actually experienced a large out-migration of citizens, but a still larger influx of immigrants that led to net overall growth. So, maybe that's a contributor to why many of us feel that people don't interact as freely as they used to.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Actually, that's an extemely insightful theory, Mark.

Excellent post!

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM

942 posts, read 1,390,735 times
Its not just seattle, its the whole country, Its just not a pleasant friendly society any longer, It may still exist in small towns removed from big cities. I don't know, its just a very impersonal atmosphere. Living and trying to get thru life in big cities any longer, is like spending a hour or two in a crowded 24 hour fitness gym. impersonal and annoying.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,812,339 times
I find both Portland and Seattle ( and the cities in between) to be friendly. But then, my definition of "friendly" is that strangers nod and smile back, when you nod and smile to them, or say "hello." Other people equate friendly with "chatty" but I'm not one of them - I find that intrusive and pushy. But when I've been in an unfamiliar area, and asked for directions or help, I've always had people willing to help me out - likewise I've helped people.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,196 times
I am a native Washingtonian who grew up in the South and summered in Washington State. I knew it rained in WA, but truthfully had no clue how much until I moved here in 1993 (prior to most of us having PCs). When I summered up here, I was always around my grandparents, who made an effort to get all the family to see us while we were here. Everyone came, and we had wonderful times. I had no clue this was not the norm when I moved here. My grandparents have been gone now for more than 15 years, and the family has spread out; everyone is busy with their own lives. I have lived here now for 14 years.

I will say that native Washingtonians are lovely, lovely people. They are always ready to lend a hand should you need anything, but they will wait for you to ask; to them that is showing courtesy, i.e., that they know you're just fine and can handle anything. However, should you ask them for help (be it for a flat tire or anything else), they are right there with you, and oftentimes it turns into a great time with them making jokes (the sense of humor folks have up here is without compare!) and laughing with you while the rain drizzles down. Then the next thing you know you'll have decided to take them out (or have them in, depending on where you are) for a cup of coffee and a really good time.

The point here is, folks in WA are great, lovely people, who show others the courtesy of thinking everyone is as awesome as they are and can do just about anything. If you tell them, "Hey, I've got a little situation, and I can't quite figure this out," they will be right there with you until the problem is solved. If it can't be solved, even by a native Washingtonian, then trust that you'll both have a good laugh and a cup of Joe after figuring that out.

What new folks need to know and be sure they understand is: Washingtonians, as a rule, will give you a pleasant nod and go about their business. If you want to make friends, you have to make the effort. If you need help, ask. If you get lonely, get out and do something.

That all being said, there are those folks who simply get tired of the gray skies all the time. I didn't mind them (the gray skies) for the first 10 years or so, but I am finally ready for a change. I want to be clear on this, though, I LOVE WA and I LOVE NATIVE WASHINGTONIANS. They are the best folks on earth. I am just ready for some sunshine at this point... :-)

Have a nice day, everyone!

Last edited by brightcopperkettles; 05-08-2007 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington