Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 AM

323 posts, read 1,967,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
4. Take the Train manager job (hopefully in TN) a) it's high pay with high potential for moving up the ladder. b) Even if I don't get TN at first I can hope to transfer to TN later and still have a good paying job.
I hadn't realized how much you were hoping for TN.

Even without that added bonus this sounds like the best option - as long as you're comfortable with the uncertainty of not knowing where you're going to end up to start and you'd like the job as well as any of the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 AM

323 posts, read 1,967,266 times
Quote:
This nice weather that we've been having with clear skies makes it hard to want to leave WA, but I know those clouds will be back.....
It didn't take long, either But, hey - we might see the sun again come Thursday. Then again, we might not

Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,020,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Take the train manager job, build seniority and transfer to Knoxville (if you're not offered it initially) at first opportunity.
ditto

And I agree with escape and shadow.

Assuming that the railroad job has similar benefits as the government jobs, the pay is so much better than the other alternatives all of which look to be less than 40k annually.

Speaking of benefits, be sure to check that aspect too. That has to be factored into the salary/wage comparison because it may mean as much or more than 10k annually depending on what packages you're looking at and the size of your family. Government jobs usually have excellent medical packages and I'm assuming that the railroad will have something comparable. It's just how much out of pocket expenses you will incur that you'll have to compare.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks, more later...

--'rocco

Old 04-16-2007, 10:28 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,000,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
I hadn't realized how much you were hoping for TN.

Even without that added bonus this sounds like the best option - as long as you're comfortable with the uncertainty of not knowing where you're going to end up to start and you'd like the job as well as any of the others.
I have family in East TN and in WNC, the big draw to TN is less expensive cost of living, you can purchase a home on 4 acres for what a 1 acre raw lot costs here. There are literally 1700 sqft homes that sell for less than what my truck cost, that's insane...I'm sure that those $25k homes are in bad neighborhoods, must be. But a 1900 sqft home on 12 acres for $85k, 1700 sqft on 4 acres for $100k, etc, those prices seem enticing and assuming that I can get the railroad job that very livable.

The Asheville, NC isn't as cheap, cost are similar but not as bad as here in WA, but I have family there (sister) and I'm familiar with the area.

Tony

Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post

Assuming that the railroad job has similar benefits as the government jobs, the pay is so much better than the other alternatives all of which look to be less than 40k annually.

--'rocco
Thanks 'rocco,

The benefits with all of these jobs are comparable, medical dental, matching 401k, etc. And you are correct most of the jobs are under $40k a year, but if you mention $16 to $18 per hour, most would say that's not bad money, but we're only talking what $32k to $36k per year, that's pretty crappy if you say it in annual terms. And we all know how expensive it is to live here in WA has become.

On the positive side, my retirement is $20k per year, I get that no matter what, so add that to my $32k year and now I'm making $52k here locally, or the train job at $51k plus $20k and it's $71k, now we're talking some money.

Benefits wise, I still get medical coverage thru military insurance (tricare) plus the jobs I'm looking at have medical as well.

Most of the jobs I'm looking at make the same if not more than the local govt job I've been offered, assuming that I can lower my cost of living with a cheaper home then perhaps the move would make sense. All the states save for TN have an income tax though.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just trying to throw out some thoughts that you kind folks are helping me to focus on.

I've been so anti-WA recently due to the WX and Traffic that when it's nice outside and I don't have to go to Seattle for anything it is so nice here.

Tony

Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Interesting comments about it being "nice here," Tony.

I had the same thoughts at one point. When I stopped working and didn't have to fight traffic everyday it took a away a lot of my disgust for living in the NW. That when combined with the occasional sunny day, made me wonder if I really wanted to leave the area on those occasions. But the wheels were already in motion for me at that point so I had to go through with my decision to relocate.

So yes, it really does make one give it a second thought!

Thanks, more later...

--'rocco

Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Interesting comments about it being "nice here," Tony.

I had the same thoughts at one point. When I stopped working and didn't have to fight traffic everyday it took a away a lot of my disgust for living in the NW. That when combined with the occasional sunny day, made me wonder if I really wanted to leave the area on those occasions. But the wheels were already in motion for me at that point so I had to go through with my decision to relocate.

So yes, it really does make one give it a second thought!

Thanks, more later...

--'rocco
That's me, my wheels are in motion and almost retracted into the aircraft on take off

I sold my home, movers have my stuff and I'm living in an RV for heavens sake. Having said that, I'm free to go anywhere and to stay here, I've always said that if it wasn't for the traffic and clouds I'd love to stay here.

Now I can dispense with the traffic (for the most part) and the WX will be taken care of by global warming (just kidding).

But really the temperature and access to military health care are the biggest reasons for staying here for me.

My family is in the TN/NC/SC area, I won't know if I'll be happier there or here until I make the move and of course by then it'll be too late. I suppose I could always move back, but I'd be without a job and that would be unrealistic considering the cost of living here.

Where did you move to and do you wish you had not moved from here?

Thanks for your input as always.

Tony

Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I don't know what you like but I live in Southern California. I'm moving to Washington and looking forward to it.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Where did you move to and do you wish you had not moved from here? ...
I have the feeling you'll do fine, Tony. You've got those military concessions which you've got over most folks.

I moved to the Nevada side of the greater St. George Utah area. Do I wish I had not moved? ...sure, sometimes. I think about a lot of things I miss. I think about all the friends and family I left behind. I think about all the great things Washington has to offer. However, I couldn't stand certain things. Bottom line is that I had to do it and am better off in a lot of ways. I certainly feel better physically and mentally being in the sunshine and dry climate. I enjoy the fact that there's no rush hour here and don't have to fight traffic everywhere I go. I enjoy the fact that I can leave my doors unlocked and feel pretty safe.

Will I ever move back to Washington? Maybe. But probably not.

Don't look back now, Tony. Go for it and make the best of whatever you do and where ever you end up! Again, best of luck.

Thanks, more later...

--'rocco

Old 04-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I don't know what you like but I live in Southern California. I'm moving to Washington and looking forward to it.
Which part of So Cal? I was stationed in San Pedro (south of LA), I lived in Garden Grove for 2 years. I actually enjoyed CA, especially all of the motorcycle related activities, going out to the dry lakes, etc. There were tons of things to do compared to WA, I had much more fun in CA than WA, but thats just me. I wish I had bought a house when I was there, but that ship has sailed.

Anyway good luck with the move to WA.

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington