Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,252 times

Advertisements

I need to drive from Corvallis to Puyallup every Tuesday and arrive by 5:30pm. I need to return to Corvallis on Wed morning. I would like to avoid traffic as much as possible. Where are the bad spots, and what are the times I should try to avoid? Pros and cons of I-5 vs I-205? How much time should I plan for? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I prefer to get off the freeway when I can. Especially during the traffic hours. I sat on 1-5 for an hour to pass FT Lewis last week at 4pm UGH! To advoid Olympia and Fort Lewis you can take the Tenio exit (coming from Oregon) just past Chehalis and this is 507 though Yelm and cut over to Puyallup either going to Spanaway (highway 7) 512 or take back roads again across to Puyallup (like 176th street in Spanaway straight to Puyallup South Hill). If you happen to be working for a Timber Company ? this would save you time. Although when school gets out or 5pm Yelm is pretty clogged up. This is all two lane roads so don't know if you would prefer this route vrs freeway clogged up. I can make it Yelm to Portland (without traffic) in about 2 1/2 hours. Good luck

Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 PM

303 posts, read 821,762 times
Default I have become an unwilling expert

I relocated from Albany (near Corvallis) to Puyallup and made this drive every week for a while and still do every 3-4 weeks.

The commenter who advised the Yelm back road provides good wise advice. When getting out of Puy I tune in KOMO 1000 (97.7 FM) and catch traffic on the 4s. Listen for congestion in Nisqually, Lakewood or Ft Lewis. if they say its slow, go the Yelm route (in Puy you want to get to 176th and meridian, then cut over to Hwy 7 (pacific Ave and go South). Yelm does get a bit clogged cause the town is small but it is NOTHING compared to the Lakewood-Nisqaually traffic. In Yelm you can cut over to Tumwater (south of Oly) or go to Centralia(long and curvy).

Pop on I-5 south then and tune into 750KXL when you get to about Kalama to plan for PDX. I have found that 205 can be horrible during rush hour but I-5 is always horrible during rush hour. If ite between 4-7 I usually take I205. Other times take 5 but listen to KXL traffic reports and if either is clogged take the other.

Also lookout for the Woodburn area. Seems like they often have accidents there on the weekends that really mess things up. Can always take 99-E into Salem if need be.

Good luck. Its the longest drive you will love to hate but its doable.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
I drove from Eugene to Seattle frequently for five years. As for the I-5/I-205 choice, I agree first check for a traffic report. If both routes are accident free, I-5 will save you atleast ten-fifteen minutes, as it is more direct. Both routes can have major tie-ups, especially I-5 approaching the Interstate Bridge weekday afternoons. I've also been stuck a number of times on 205 down around Oregon City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington