Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all, My husband and I just relocated to Reno Nv and cant find work. He recieved a job offer in Tacoma and starts monday. His family lives in Dupont so he is staying there with them. We know NOTHING about the tacoma area. We are looking for a home in the suburbs, lots of kids for our kids to play with that is in a good area. He is willing ot commute up to 20min. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 PM

224 posts, read 405,276 times
I don't know much about Tacoma, except is seemed to be a nice town. I enjoyed the Glass Bridge right next to the Museum..You must visit that, beautiful glass art.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
University Place is nice. Steilacoom has good schools. Maybe you could even find something in the Olympia school district within 20 minutes of Tacoma, and Lacey might fit the bill too.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 PM

45 posts, read 263,679 times
Hah, "real gangsters county-wide." Really, Alex? I always forget about the Key Peninsula Crips, the North Tacoma Bloods, the DuPont MS-13. I also can't help but wonder about these street intersection gangs. The 43rd & Warner Family might literally be a family of three at 43rd & Warner. Needless to say, these gangs must be all pretty inactive or lazy. Our murder rate is below national average. Yeah, Tacoma (and the entire metro out through Spanaway) has an issue with crime, especially property crime. However, there are some very nice places that are safe to walk through at all hours. You don't have to worry about gangs, especially "People Nation" gangs, whatever those are.

Anyway: If you want nice, suburban living, though, Alex isn't completely talked out of his butt. University Place and Fircrest are nice. North and Northeast Tacoma are, too, although all of these are out of most families' price ranges. Lakewood is a mixed bag and I'm honestly not a big fan. You can find some nice, family oriented developments on the outskirts of the urban area. For Seattle metro, they're very cheap. But they're definitely sprawlburban. Like many places, you're going to have to pick between affordability and a vibrant neighborhood. However, you will not have to sacrifice nice.

DuPont is actually a decent mix. It's definitely very much an exurb, but it offers affordability and it isn't isolated -- just not much happens. It's a model suburb, and exploded in population because of it. I guess it's a good place to use as a model. Looking at your experience with DuPont, what things did you like, and what things did you dislike? I can probably recommend a neighborhood better with that info.

Here's a list to start you out:

Nice, but pricier
* Fircrest
* North Tacoma
* Northeast Tacoma
* University Place

Nice, but less vibrant
* DuPont (not so much less vibrant, but far out)
* Bonney Lake (like DuPont, but somewhat closer and less developed)
* Small Pierce County towns and their developments -- Orting, suburban Puyallup, etc.
* Developments around Spanaway and the Mountain Highway

There are also some rural areas, such as outside Gig Harbor and around Graham, that are worth looking at. Like most rural areas, the real estate market varies a lot depending on what you're looking for. Objectively, the Tacoma metro is not the greatest place in the world. However, there are some genuinely pleasant, safe, "desirable" areas and comfortable living to be had.

By the way -- I have a friend who lives in the 4600 block of Warner, and I've been there more than a few times. The ne'er-do-wells must have found a new intersection .

Last edited by Alcon; 07-05-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM

20 posts, read 64,339 times
If you are looking to buy a house, the neighborhoods near Gig Harbor are way more affordable and safer than what you will find on the other side of the water but you have to pay a toll going one direction on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM

370 posts, read 1,068,229 times
Default Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandtoby View Post
Hi all, My husband and I just relocated to Reno Nv and cant find work. He recieved a job offer in Tacoma and starts monday. His family lives in Dupont so he is staying there with them. We know NOTHING about the tacoma area. We are looking for a home in the suburbs, lots of kids for our kids to play with that is in a good area. He is willing ot commute up to 20min. Any suggestions?
I just stumbled on your question. I would check out areas around Fircrest and around the narrows/26th st area, that way you avoid the bridge and have alternate routes to travel.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM

17 posts, read 31,908 times
I live in Tacoma, near the Tacoma Community College. We bought our house 3 years ago and are very happy with our area. Its quiet and no problems with theft or load parties. And there are both rentals and homeowners here.
I like that we are close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington