Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,750 times

Advertisements

Surely am glad to find this site. My daughter, husbnd and grandchildren live in Bonney Lake - They both work in Issaquah at Costco Corporate.

I live in Spring City TN at the moment -- but am seriously beginning to look at relocating when I retire at 62. I have a small income tax and bookkeeping business here -- but can't stand the humid summers - and cold weather is beginning to bug me.

'Used to drive by Cle Elum and occasionally stop in to eat on the way to and from Montana.

Cle Elum has a lot the same feel as the small town I am in now - and am used to driving forever to get to the mall, etc.

Glad I'm not the only one looking to this area. The summers seem to be cool. Would you say so? I am spoiled here with the hot weather from this stand point - Lovely gardens are possible and hardly any snow. But it can be cold here.

I like the idea of being only 90 Minutes from the Seattle-Area. I lived there for a long time - 1965 - 1986 --- 2000-2004.

Thought about going a little farther east - (yakima) Hotter weather in summer - What about the humidity during the summer? Do people try to have gardens or is it too cool for that.

Cle Elum seems to have still more mountain temperatures -- In Montana is gets COLD in the evenings - or so I remember -- Always had a good coat for being outside in the evening.

Thanks for all your comments - Most appreciated - Sounds like making new friends would definately be probable !!

Constancia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,750 times
Default Moving to Cle Elum

This is so interesting and I really appreciate all the posts.

I live in Spring City TN - Am considering a move to Cle Elum or Ellensburg in a couple of yrs.

When I moved here in 1986 - it was small town - and very clanish (sp) I have a tax and bookkeeping office here - and always see people I know - wherever I go. But it is still very tight - and I'm still not a part of the crowd. Practically impossible to break into it if you were not born here.

I understand the part about not wanting anything to change. I remember that when we moved from Seattle to Redmond back in 1974.

Change will happen - Redmond fought it for a long time - I guess Issaquah did too.

Here they are still fighting it - but slowly change has happened. Land and housing prices higher - people the locals don't know coming in.

I got called a "yankee" when I came here - and a couple of yrs. ago, a lady at the laudromat told me she wished I'd go "home" -- It may be extreme here for a number of reasons - but I surely wouldn't want to move all the way across the country to end up in the same situation.

I have enjoyed coming back since I was back in Seattle from 2000-2004 or so.

I love the hot weather (for gardens and beautiful flowers ) - but I do not like the humidity at all. We have practically no snow, here. But it does get cold even though it's far south.

It sounds more snowy and cold in the winter than I thought it might - HMMM.

You have given such a good rendition of Cle Elum - Are the people open to making friends with new people coming in - Is there an open feeling at all about it - or are they a little "burned" about it - I do understand this.

Mostly what is driving me is the weather, here -- and I do want to be closer to my daughter and her family in Bonny Lake - also have old friends in Seattle.

Ya'll really opened my eyes to the commute - Yikes -- Since I am self-employed - Is there room for a new tax business in Cle Elum - Ya think??

I live in a mobile home here in TN -- Are there a lot of mobile homes in the Roslyn/Cle Elum area? Would I have to buy an acre or two?

We also have a really big drug/meth problem here in TN - I think we may have cornered the market for that.

So glad that there will be new people coming into this area from all over if I decide to come.

Constancia

Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,662,093 times
Its a nice little town, and the summers get HOT and the winters COLD with up to 5 feet of snow at times. Very different weather than Seattle...

The show Northern Exposure was filmed in the very nearby town of Roslyn.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:01 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,821,914 times
Cle Elum was in the newspaper this week, regarding a possible new source of industry and jobs.

World's largest solar plant may be built in Cle Elum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington