Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM

17 posts, read 90,697 times

Advertisements

I live in Reno, NV and have an interview next month for a job with the Tacoma Police Department. I've never been to Tacoma, so my trip up for the interview will be my first chance to look around. I'd love any advice as to whether Tacoma would be a good place to move to? I've been reading a lot of bad things about it, but also some good. I am a single female in my early 20's, looking for a safe place to live with sort of a small town feel. Right now I'm paying $900/mo for my apartment and with this new job would be able to afford the same amount or a little more. If I do take the job, would I be better off living in a nearby city? Like where? I'm fine with a short commute, but would prefer not to drive more than 30-40 minutes each way.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM

238 posts, read 865,967 times
I haven't been to Reno but it is about the same size as Tacoma. I am sure you would enjoy Tacoma. From what I have seen older officers with families live mostly outside the city. A lot of younger single officers live in the city. As for rent you I guess you need to consider if you are taking a patrol car home or not. You can find houses in Tacoma for $900 but they might not be in the best areas. Not sure TPD's policy on parking cars in apartment/condo garages. You wouldn't have a problem finding an apartment (1bd) in a nice area for $900.

Last edited by Jake840; 07-21-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 06:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
I would say Reno is smaller than Tacoma a totally differnt animal.Have family in Reno/Virgina City. Depending on what department you are looking at and where. Are you looking at ST or City? If you want DM me family is been in the Departments for area for a while..........

The major thing you need to look at is climate....are you OK with not much sun (although this spring and summer are incredible) usual is the grey winters, no sun in winter like your used to. Rent for nicer neighborhoods in Tacoma will be more likely in $1200 range.. You can find cheaper but .. I would at least plan on that price for out side Tacoma also.....I would look at NE Tacoma by Federal Way, or UP for an Apartment or you can go to Spanaway area but check it out first for cheaper rent. Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,123 times
Get into a roomate situation first until you personally have an opportunity to explore the area and see what appeals to you. You can rent a room in the 350-450 range in a private home where you will be safe. Stay there for 6 months, save your money and move to a place you will be happy.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 AM

370 posts, read 1,068,409 times
Default Job in Tacoma

Tacoma is a good place to be. The housing is affordable and good deals are being offered. Will you working at the headquarters on Pine Street ? You may want to consider renting a room around the PLU or UPS campus. Orchard street is close and safe. Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM

17 posts, read 90,697 times
Thanks for the help so far!

Jake840: I am a civilian, not an officer, so I'm not sure if that changes your advice at all..?

nfdsouza2001: Yes, the station on Pine St. I'd really prefer not to live with roommates/housemates, as I am accustomed to living alone.

Would I be able to get a better deal in a neighboring town? Can anyone suggest where?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,409 times
Default Welcome to Tacoma

Daisies 16 I saw a rental at University Place for about 795 at 4601 Grandview University Place, WA 98466. University place is about 15-25 minutes from your work. This area is safe and walkble to most businesses. Leave me some contact information on my website and will be glad to show you around.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 AM

31 posts, read 95,006 times
Default Try Orting

If you take the Tacoma job I would strongly recommend living elsewhere and commuting, as Tacoma is one Washington's most dangerous cities. My cousin and his wife live in Orting, which is beautiful little town on the outskirts of greater Tacoma. It's much safer than Tacoma itself.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I lived in Tacoma for about ten years. I think it was the most miserable ten years of my generally very happy life. When I tried living with roommates there I was ripped off. The last time I visited Three skinheads tried to rob us in Point Defiance park (in the so called good part of Tacoma) I had to pull my gun on them to get away. Tacoma sucks and I am really glad I didn't get stuck there for any longer than I was. The only good part of Tacoma in my opinion is Salmon Beach where I lived for most of the time I was in Tacoma where you can fish off of your front porch.
Picture below is a modern totem pole along the footpath leading down to the houses on Salmon Beach. There is also a nice full sized bronze sculpture of a mermaid sitting on a rock between two of the houses down on the beach. I wish I had a photo of it to post.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
If you take the Tacoma job I would strongly recommend living elsewhere and commuting, as Tacoma is one Washington's most dangerous cities. My cousin and his wife live in Orting, which is beautiful little town on the outskirts of greater Tacoma. It's much safer than Tacoma itself.
To the OP, you will find lots of statements from people like the above. I live in Tacoma, in an area of $600K houses. Far from dangerous. We rent an apartment in the Proctor area for $750/month. I think the people who move here and have a bad experience probably lived in the not-so-nice areas. Tacoma has some really bad areas, and areas that are awesome (like where I live). Do some research. It's not a bad city at all. I can crab fish three minutes from my place, so I live in a beautiful neighborhood and can eat fresh Dungeness. What more can you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington