Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What made you decide on Vancouver? Is it more important to be in WA as opposed to OR? I wouldn't necessarily think of Vancouver as a destination city, it's more like one of many Portland suburbs, so are you wanting to move to Portland metro, or do you just want to be in WA for some reason?
I specifically chose the Vancouver area (Clark County actually) when I moved from Texas. I wanted to be on the west side of the mountains, did not want to pay income tax, and still needed to be close to a major airport. Access to major hospitals and city services was important but we did not want to live in a city. I find this location to be ideal and argue it is not at all just a Portland suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 PM

7 posts, read 24,900 times
Default By all means, do it!!

Moving here to the Vanvcouver/Camas/Washougal area is such a great thing to do, from getting more crowded by the day Portland to alreay crowded and getting worse California.

here you have friendly people, slower pace of life, GREAT schools, even a "green" carbon zero HS school building being built--forgot to lock your doors?? No worries. Not only will your neigbors watch out for you but there really isn't anyone around doing bad stuff.

Considering moving here? You will be amazed. Take a drive up 14, take in the view, no you are not in the fiords of Norway but in the good ole US of A and in YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD!!!! It is simply the best--friends await--fun and family get togethers...old fashioned USA like the 50s.

Don't even think any more about it, just do it....

Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 PM

230 posts, read 623,235 times
I relocated to Washington State 6 years ago from California. I ended up more toward Seattle, Gig Harbor to be exact. I've spent some time in Vancouver, and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure where the Vantucky thing comes from... there are a few towns north of there that sure qualify! But Vancouver has some gorgeous neighborhoods, and nice looking retail. The big bonus is Portland so close by! I prefer Portland to Seattle.. it's much more authentic.

Regarding the rain. I have to say that quite a few people make the big mistake of falling madly in love with the PNW on a visit during the only dry month of the year. I echo the other comments that you really need to spend time here in other seasons besides a visit in the summer. Better yet, spend 9 or so weeks from January thru February, and see how you like it. It's not the rain that gets you.. I honestly thought I loved rain, because of my experience with rain in Calif. Up here? It's not the rain that gets you, it's the constant gray from October through June. Literally. Yes, you can have a few dry spells for a day or two in there, but it's gray and drizzly for at least 8 months a year. I thought people were just being negative when they told me that things get mossy and mildewed here for months at a time, but when my mother's CAR was covered in moss last winter, it pretty much proved their point.

Not everyone has an issue with all the gray here... some folks enjoy indoor pursuits, and don't mind the overcast and drizzle. It takes around 3 years for the honeymoon to wear off in the PNW, and at that point you'll fall into one of three camps: Those that absolutely love the weather as it is (more of a rarity); Those that don't like the weather, but find all the other good things outweigh the weather; and those that just cannot function without sunshine for months at a time. Not being dramatic.. you will literally go for weeks with no sunshine here, and the winters get dark at 3:30pm. There's that joke about Seattle.. the only place where you can go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark, and be working 8 to 5. It's not for everyone.. and I think people have to be very honest about it up front, so people asking about living here have both sides of it.

It's gorgeous here. If you love trees and water and lots of clean air, it's lovely. There is a lot to do. I'd be more inclined to move near Portland, than Seattle. If you move too far from Oregon, you'll find yourself missing the real ocean and beaches. Oregon has the most gorgeous beaches in the Country... and the State does it right with having all those state parks. Washington pales by comparison. So if you'd like to hit the beach occasionally (and believe me, you will miss the beach at some point), you'll want to stay near Oregon (either in or near it!)

Many folks lease a home for a year or so until they see if the lifestyle and the weather suits them. Though it takes a few years for some people to decide, others make up their mind after one long winter. Being from Southern California, you just have to experience it for yourself, but armed with the knowledge that it's not just some rainstorms... it's like the June gloom in So Cal, only colder and it lasts several months.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 23,736 times
I used to live in Vancouver and, um, the Californians who moved there weren't popular, to say the least. You might want to keep your comments about "Vantucky" to yourselves! Seriously. Yes, you will find mullets and jacked-up pickup trucks and all of those other redneck things, but you'll also find lots of people who believe they are very sophisticated. So please try very hard not to have a 'tude about Da 'Couv!
It's a bedroom community of Portland; we always used to say that Portland is the best thing about Vancouver. It's got next to no charm, except for the downtown area. But living across the bridge from Portland is a FABULOUS benefit, provided you don't try to cross the bridge during rush hour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington