Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,634 times

Advertisements

Hi, could you tell what winters are like? I live in maine and our winters are long and cold.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 AM

733 posts, read 1,927,921 times
depends where you are in Washington. This past winter was the worse I have seem in 10 years. However, what is "bad" here probably doesn't equate to what you get in Maine.

Also I"m not that far North. Up in Everett I'm sure their winter was much more extensive than ours near Tacoma.....

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Washington is a state of diverse climates. However, there is no place with a really mild winter. Every part of the state has either extensive chilly rain, extensive snow or extensive dry cold. Some have all three at different times.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,832 times
We're intown Poulsbo, at low elevation near the water, and think winter here is very mild. This is only our third year, so maybe it's just been an unusually mild few years. The perception of good or bad weather is definitely relative to your previous experience though and compared to living with the weather extremes of the midwest (where we lived for 45 years), this place is a piece of cake. The first year we kept waiting for winter to begin when we realized it was already over...last year we had a little more snow, but still nothing at all compared to frigid Illinois winters. IMO, winter here is short, mild & wet, and spring is the longest season of the year with some of the most beautiful flowering trees & bushes I've ever seen. Summer is short but very nice, and fall is simply glorious. Each season has something to celebrate. We love it here.

Lynn

Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,653 times
Winters vary quite a bit depending on what part of the state. The Seattle area typically gets little snow (okay, this last year we had snow on the ground for weeks which was a shocker!) but lots of overcast and wet days. Not too terribly many days are bitter cold, but plenty of days are in the upper 30s to 50 degrees.

So, if you are from Florida, WA is wicked cold; if you are from Minnesota it is looking pretty easy! From what little I know of Maine, I expect western Washington (ie Seattle and Puget sound region) is warmer then you are used to and gets less snow. It is not a tropical paradise by any means!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington