Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 26,165 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Olympia area and havent spent much time east of the mountains. It's been many years since I've been home but I'm considering fineshing my business degree at Central. I'm not to inspired by the schools out of state attendance rate but I could probably stand to hold off a semester to gain residency and a foothold in the city.

I am married and not wealthy so both of us will have to work. My wife would like to attend a Vet tech school in Yakima but the Central is in Ellensburg. On a map they seem only 30 miles apart but which city would benifit us most for liveing and working. Would it be better to commute to work or school? I know this is a unique situation but haveing little experiance with either city I hope some of you would be better be able to advise me. Also any insider information on the university would be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 31,307 times
Default Central Business Student

I attend Central from Wenatchee thru distance learning. I know that Yakima has the same thing. So your wife could work in Yakima and you could attend school from there. If you need to drive to Central for a couple quarters to specialize rather than a general business degree, choose spring/summer. The 30 miles is mountainous, but not a bad drive.
Good luck.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 PM

5,594 posts, read 18,971,966 times
--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2006, 09:02 PM

49 posts, read 231,583 times
Default Commuting to Ellensburg/Distance classes in Yakima

I live outside of Yakima. Yakima would be cheaper than Ellensburg to live in, probably. In terms of climate, Ellensburg is wetter. The two towns have a very different feel culturally; visiting before deciding would be best. Consider if you want to feel connected to campus life - if you do, Ellensburg will be a better choice, obviously. Also, if you want to plug in in any way to the chimpanzee facility at Central, you'd want to be in Ellensburg.

I agree with previous posters that the drive is fine most of the year; I do it frequently on my way to Seattle. Even in winter, it's okay most of the time in daylight (at night it can get especially icy and foggy). I've known people who have commuted between the two towns; people do do it. It's a reasonable plan. If you do drive it regularly in the winter, 4WD, AWD, or front wheel drive would help.

There is a new distance learning building on the Yakima Valley Community College campus in Yakima that houses classes from Central and WSU. Distance learning course offerings are expanding there, so as a previous poster mentioned, that may be an option for you - you could check.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm sure the school is a lot different from a few years ago no worries.

Hmmm. The commute could be a problem then. I drive a 67 Mustang and though I keep up good maintinace on her 60 miles a day will wear on even a new vehicle. Also I plan to focus on international business and continue studying Japanese. I'm betting that would be hard to do through distance education.

Does anyone know of a public transportation system in the works? How about just a car pool or park and ride program?

How are both towns for recreation? Stuff to do, music, interesting attractions? Rent?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 AM

49 posts, read 231,583 times
Default Yakima info

I don't know of any public transportation, park and ride, or carpools existing or in the works between Yakima and Ellensburg. It's possible (but not real likely) that you could advertise for and find someone with a similar schedule to carpool with.

I don't know a lot about Ellensburg, but here are things to do that come to mind for Yakima: Yakima Folklife Society concerts, Yakima Symphony concerts, Allied Arts classes and readings, Yakima Museum, Warehouse Theatre (plays), Yakima Bears (baseball), Yakima SunKings (basketball), Cascadians (hiking and climbing club), Capitol Theatre (concert and play venue), and various activities on the YVCC (Yakima Valley Community College) campus. Google any of these for more information. Also see www.visityakima.com. Also google the Yakima Herald-Republic for its community calendar, its classifieds (rental information), and an overall sense of the community. Housing costs are low here. The cost of living in general is low - except for anything involving fossil fuels, like transportation and heat.

Mt. Rainier hiking is two hours away (of course there's closer hiking, though), Seattle 2-1/2 hours, Portland 3-1/2 hours.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 48,005 times
Default ***-a-vegas or E-Burg

Yoruai,

I grew up in Yakima and I know my way around Washington State, both western and eastern. I would say live in E-burg apposed to ***-town, just from a quality of living standpoint. There is no a lot to do in either town, but at least in E-burg you have more activities stemming from Central and you don't have to put up with Yakima crap (ei crime and uneducated people). If your wife has to go to school in Yaktown, you should definately look into CWU's center at Yakima Valley Community College. I believe that you can obtain your B.A. in Business through YVCC campus (you might have to make some trips to E-burg from time to time). I would highly recommend that over communiting from E-brug to ***. It's not bad most of the year, but winter is terrible with closures and big semi rigs sliding off the road, ect.

Either way, good luck in E-burg or ***-a-vegas.

A side note which you have probably already looked into: If you are interested in getting a business degree and your wife wants to get an education in vet science, you should consider Washington State University in Pullman. It has a very good business program and it's Vet program is one of the best in the world.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:52 PM

--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-19-2007 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Yakima Military Training center

Does anyone know anything about the Yakima Military Training center? What company runs the fireing ranges, are they civil service or military run?

I've worked on the ranges here at Ft. Hood for 4 years with Northrop Grumman. I havent been able to find much on the Yakima Training area exept something about a company called SA Tech. It would be great if I could get a job before movieng up there.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:46 PM

Hi Yoruai.

I'm assuming it's military run but I'll leave that for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

I know that there's a trail for the public to use that's open to non-motorized travel (John Wayne Trail, I think it's called). It's open year around for recreation. They also allow hunting on the property. I think the army has a website describing it. I'll try to look it up and PM you the link if you haven't already found it. I think the firing range is managed out of Fort Lewis, the army base near Tacoma.

--'rocco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington