Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My first post on this forum---I'm normally causing trouble on the Spanish forum...I saw an opportunity in Takoma and am looking for some insight. It is generally speaking in the social work field.

What are all your thoughts on relocating from Baltimore MD to Takoma?
Someone described the area as "rednecky"
Tell me abit about accessing hiking and other outdoor activities as well, if you could.

Details are good for me.

Thanks in advance
Gracias de antemano!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,802,355 times
One detail you should know... It's Tacoma, not Takoma.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,241 times
Mine is based on a local variety...so, the education begins.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,631,894 times
Well, we could argue that the the "real" name of Tacoma is "Tahoma". The original native name of Mt. Rainier. And still the name of a western WA school district, and a high school in Tacoma!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Well, we could argue that the the "real" name of Tacoma is "Tahoma". The original native name of Mt. Rainier. And still the name of a western WA school district, and a high school in Tacoma!
Which is a far better name than Rainier... I also much prefer Wy'east for Mount Hood. But I digress!

Since no Washingtonians are offering any info...

I would not consider Tacoma to be rednecky. Sure there a few areas you can find it, and it's not quite Seattle. A lot more working class. Though there is a bit of a "Seattleish" element to be found too.

As for the outdoor activities... I know there is Point Defiance Park in the city which I hear offers some great trails and views of the sound. There is the sound itself, for water-based activities. Head to the east and you'll find mountains and forests and lakes. And... Mount Rainier National Park is only 40-50 miles away! I haven't lived there so I'm not familiar with specific details of where you can hiking and such... I'd look into the Washington State Parks website Activities at Washington State Parks and the Tacoma city parks site Metro Parks Tacoma > Parks & Facilities.

Also look into Pierce County parks and possibly King and Thurston Counties parks too.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,153,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
One detail you should know... It's Tacoma, not Takoma.
Baltimore is up the road from Takoma Park, MD, so a lot of us Maryland natives make that mistake the first time.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,153,207 times
hawk, my son goes to college in Tacoma and so I've been there several times. It strikes me as a city of extremes - there are some very poor, rough areas, especially in South Tacoma, and beautiful, expensive areas in north Tacoma. The downtown is undergoing a bit of a renaissance, but it's got a ways to go, and the Proctor District and 6th Avenue District are sort of trendy - by Tacoma standards. There are a lot of beautiful natural areas outside the city, and a nice rainforest-y park at the tip of the peninsula. It has some industry and the associated odors and blight, and some spectacular water views. The more I describe it, the more it reminds me of Baltimore, now that I think about it.

Although I don't live there, my impression is that it isn't nearly as bad as its detractors make it out to be.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
Although I don't live there, my impression is that it isn't nearly as bad as its detractors make it out to be.
Agreed. And the Tacoma area is extremely beautiful. I'd bet those views of the mountain never get old.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,279,258 times
Tacoma has a few absolutely great neighborhoods. Friendly, walkable, hip, beautiful....To put it in Baltimore terms, Proctor is the rough equivalent of Hampden?, and Ruston/Point Defiance is the closest thing to Fells Point? Keeping in mind that Tacoma is far smaller than Baltimore.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:10 AM

404 posts, read 1,335,145 times
I've stopped by Tacoma to take a break during a road trip and it was visibly bad. Houses were visibly run-down. Even the post office looked like a condemned building. The area is called "Hilltop" and I believe it is quite well known for high crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: