Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

In the future, they say that water will be more important than oil. So being from the California Bay Area ... I LIKE cooler, gray temperatures. But at middle-age, I'm also yearning for a few acres surrounding my little "fixer".

I'm a black ex-trucker soon to return to tech writing. ( ) So .... is there a place where I can find a "cheap" place to purchase such a dream?

At first I thought about Tacoma ... but I've been hearing stories about how bad the place smells and all the ships and manufacturing. That sounds like an environmental cocktail designed for bad health. Am I being too over-concerned?

I'm mainly want to grow about an acre of crops and flowers ... raise some dogs and chickens on the rest. Maybe one small Dexter cow.

Comments on Tacoma or other areas of the wonderful Evergreen State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,010 times
It's a good idea to stay away from where the container cargo ships unload. The pollution around the port will be as bad as anywhere. Anyway, you probably can't find a few acres close to the water cheaply anywhere in Washington State.

If you are not tied down to anywhere in particular and can work from home you'll have more options. Typically the best areas to have a garden are in the river valleys. The soil in Western Washington isn't very good but there are probably exceptions.

I like the Sunset Western Garden Book for help with climate zones. Most thrift stores have a couple used copies and libraries would have newer ones. Sunset also has a less detailed climate map online.

I don't know much about Oregon but it might be worth looking at. Their property taxes are supposed to be lower. The Willamette River valley has lots of small farms like what you are describing.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM

392 posts, read 1,557,071 times
Several areas not far from Tacoma would be ideal for what you're describing. Towns like Yelm, Roy, Eatonville will give you plenty of room for agriculture and affordable fixers.
Also some areas on the Kitsap Peninsula like Olalla and Burley.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM

40 posts, read 216,342 times
veganwriter, your post caught my eye. my husband and i (and 3 kids) are also looking to grow a huge garden in washington (or possibly oregon). are you looking to grow your own crops for summer consumption and winter preservation? this is what we're thinking of.

i'm curious, if you don't mind my asking what is tech writing? you sound like a very interesting person to me and i wish you much luck in your endavor!!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
The soil in Western Washington isn't very good but there are probably exceptions.
Really? I'd imagine that all the volcanic sediment in many of the valleys would create good soil. The entire valley Puyallup to Kent used to be farming and there are still a few hold-outs remaining. I grew up hearing the soil was very good, and it's a shame it's getting paved over...

The OP might find this site interesting: Growing Washington - Sustainable Agriculture Program (http://www.growingwashington.org/sustainable_agriculture_program.php - broken link)

Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 AM

30 posts, read 68,463 times
At first I thought about Tacoma ... but I've been hearing stories about how bad the place smells and all the ships and manufacturing. That sounds like an environmental cocktail designed for bad health. Am I being too over-concerned?

Yes you are. Tacoma gets a bad rap unfairly and undeservingly ... especially from the snooty Seattleites. So be careful.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Tacoma gets a bad rap unfairly and undeservingly ... especially from the snooty Seattleites.

I'm a snooty Seattleite, and I love Tacoma.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 PM

30 posts, read 68,463 times
I'm a snooty Seattleite, and I love Tacoma.[/quote]

Yes, I was going to mention to that poster that there's a certain small percentage of reformed/ex-Seattleites who come to prefer and love Tacoma but it seemed unnecessary. So, welcome.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:38 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
In many ways, Tacoma was often considered the "redheaded stepchild". It also didn't help that Tacoma was going into decline in the 1980s and the crack epidemic hit Tacoma too, giving it the nickname "Tacompton". There is also the reputation for "Tacoma Aroma". Tacoma is doing better now, but the bad rep seemed to ling in the minds of some people. Not everyone thinks that way, but it is kind of like the NYC thing. Many people only remember NYC from the show Taxi, and assume extremely violent city, and at one time, NYC was a very violent city. NYC is alot safer now than some people would give it credit for.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:14 PM

10 posts, read 42,601 times
Work now in Tacoma but live elsewhere. Am not impressed with this city at all. And my workplace (a hospital) is a factory - physician whims are first, patient care is secondary or worse. Will be moving on soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington