Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 56,001 times

Advertisements

Hello,

we're a young family from Miami that are looking into moving to the Seattle area.
We are looking for a country feel with easy access to the city. We will most likely visit the city once a week, for shopping and pleasure. Good schools, beautiful nature and low crime are important factors. The climate will not be an issue, as we are born and raised in Norway and are used to rain and cloudy days. Our children are 3 and 6, and we are looking for a safe, beautiful setting to raise them away from the busy, owercrowded city. We need to be close to a major airport and have high speed internet access for our jobs. We are visiting Bainbridge island this summer, and will be looking at nearby areas. Vashon island seems like a great place. On pictures it looks just like Norway. Has anyone that reads this forum lived there? What about Bainbridge Island? Seems more expensive....Our budget for a 4 bedroom single family home is $600-$1M, we don't want to be in a typical subdivision, unless it is a older more established neighborhood. A small farm or home with a larger lot is our dream. Any opinions on the schools. Any other areas we should consider? I already looked up Poulsbo. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 03:02 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,041,958 times
Just a quick comment, elise.

As we've dicussed before, on Vashon, you'll definitely feel more isolated because there's no way on or off the island other than by ferry. Bainbridge, on the other hand, will not feel like an island as you'll have access to drive off the north end (to get to Poulsbo).

My hunch is that you will probably find the place you're looking for on Bainbridge in that price range.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-11-2007, 03:14 PM

22 posts, read 121,386 times
Default each their own island

Elsie,
My friend's parents just moved to Vashon island from Maryland and they love it. It is a small diverse community. There are a lot of farms and forest for an island. It has expensive houses as well as trailers. Vashon has a reputation for pot-smoking hippies and while there are some, there are plenty of families and retired people and farmers. It is beautiful and it's own world while just being a ferry ride from the city. A few of my fellow students live on Vashon and take the ferry over to go to college in the city and they don't mind it.
Bainbridge Island is obviously bigger than Vashon and has its developed parts but there is still plenty of open space. It seems to be a bit snootier than Vashon in my opinion, a lot of Bainbridge people commute to the city for work. It has a lot of hills and is an easy connector if you want to head to Poulsbo or to the coast; you definitely won't feel like you are on an island as the ferry runs about every hour from the city ot Bainbridge. It is more developed in terms of restaurants, stores, people, etc.
Its' easy to get around so I recommend visiting both places while you are here.
Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,763 times
Default Maybe Mercer Island

You won't get a farm on Mercer Island but you could find a large lot. It's definitely the place for low crime and one of the best school districts in the state of Washington. I have mentioned Poulsbo many times on this forum and can't brag enough about it. I just love the area and the people, however, Bainbridge Island schools are ranked higher than Poulsbo so that would be something to consider. Good schools are always top priority on my list when I consider a neighborhood, so I can relate. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,041,958 times
jojo, where on Mercer Island are you going to find a large lot? If you can find one, I'm sure it's going to be over a million for a lot alone but I'm questioning whether you can even find one.

I do agree that Mercer Island does have good schools. However, for some reason, Mercer Island just doesn't quite sound like what they're looking for. I say that with all due respect, jojo.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Mercer Island

Thanks for your input ...I have researched Mercer island, but it seems to be a bit "snobby". Yes, schools are a main priority for us, but I want my kids to grow up having a good balance of everything.We are moving from a very upscale Miami neighborhood, where all the kids go to expensive private schools. We live here because we need to live close to downtown, and we wanted a single family home...I can't do condos...tried and just could not do it. Reminded me of when I worked for the cruiselines. But living among the wealthy is strange....the other day my neighbor, actually told me, she was sorry for me because I only have a cleaning lade twice a month!!..My cleaning lady is wonderful, came with the house...sort of...worked for the previous owner and begged for me to keep her. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning my own home, in fact I take pride in taking care of my home, cooking for my family and last but not least...Raising my own children. I'm a rare breed around here, not having a nanny is unheard of, mopping my own floors....well let's just say their jaw would drop. I don't want my children growing up with values like these. I don't want them to get used to a lifestyle that require them to become a millionaire of sorts just to live the way their peers do. My husband and I have come a long way, and one thing is for sure..money makes things so much easier, but it is also very poisonous. I wan't my kids to take summerjobs and feel good about making their own money. Oops...totally got off track with this one...but this is the main reason we are leaving Miami...to live in a real world, away from the see and be seen, children raised by nannies and also the heat and humidity.We are outdoors people, you can always dress warmer, but you can't carry an A/C around. How are schools in Poulsbo? Would love to hear from somone that actually have children in Public schools on either Bainbridge Is. Vashon Is. or Poulsbo.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,763 times
Default Response

I only mentioned Mercer Island because of the low crime and good schools which were the two things that were mentioned. Definitely not farm country on Mercer Island that's for sure. I think Bainbridge Island can be just as snotty but that's just my opinion. I would prefer Vashon over Bainbridge but I don't know about the schools. You could get some info on schools at www.greatschools.org and check test scores which is only a small part of the school. Although I miss the east coast which is where I am originally from, the west coast is definitely a better place to raise a family. Tons of culture and diverse outdoor recreation. It's truly endless. We have lived in WA for about 7 years and I still have not seen some parts of this state yet which we continue to explore. I really enjoyed reading your post and I have the same values so I know what you mean. I live in a very wealthy neighborhood but I must say, there are a mix of people who are so nice and down to earth and some who just stay in there "little circle" of friends if you know what I mean. I must say my children have made wonderful friends and the parents are just as nice. My son is probaby one of the few kids that works for an allowance but those are my rules and hope to make him more aware of the value of money and things in life don't come easy. I would go to each of these places and walk through each area to get a better idea of each place and see what the people are like as well. I love Poulsbo but it may not be a good match for you. You will know what feels right. Good luck to you.
PS I am really weird. I clean my own house! LOL

Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,475 times
Im leaning tords Vashon also. Depends on where I find employment.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Thanks

I know this forum is for discussions and sharing ideas, but I just wanted to tell everyone how nice you are to share your experieces and thoughts.
Thanks!!

Old 06-02-2007, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 20,135 times
Hi,

We have been in the Seattle area for 35 years, and are moving to Bainbridge this summer. We prefer Bainbridge -- feels more alive, vital. If prices are higher, that's because you can go, including average wait time with ferry, to Bainbrdige of about one delightful area from the heart of downtown Seattle.
Last night, it toook 45 minutes coming back. If city access isn't important to you, you may not care about this.

Rental bucks go MUCH farther on Bainbridge than Seattle, but probably more than Vashon. Am i reading right? Do you want to rent for $600 to $1000 a month? Or do you mean you want to buy for $600,ooo plus? If it's the former, it'll be a challene to find something with size on Bainbridge; you might fare better of Vashon. If it's the latter, you won't BELIEV how much you can buy on island for $600,000 Pplus. W'ere not that well-set, but hope to be in the next few years.

Hopes this helps. Namaste, LoraJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by elise77 View Post
Hello,

we're a young family from Miami that are looking into moving to the Seattle area.
We are looking for a country feel with easy access to the city. We will most likely visit the city once a week, for shopping and pleasure. Good schools, beautiful nature and low crime are important factors. The climate will not be an issue, as we are born and raised in Norway and are used to rain and cloudy days. Our children are 3 and 6, and we are looking for a safe, beautiful setting to raise them away from the busy, owercrowded city. We need to be close to a major airport and have high speed internet access for our jobs. We are visiting Bainbridge island this summer, and will be looking at nearby areas. Vashon island seems like a great place. On pictures it looks just like Norway. Has anyone that reads this forum lived there? What about Bainbridge Island? Seems more expensive....Our budget for a 4 bedroom single family home is $600-$1M, we don't want to be in a typical subdivision, unless it is a older more established neighborhood. A small farm or home with a larger lot is our dream. Any opinions on the schools. Any other areas we should consider? I already looked up Poulsbo. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington