Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,599,095 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Nebraska to the Seattle area on the week of Thanksgiving. Job will be in Bothell, but we're trying to keep rent as low as possible until we get a good feeling for what everything will cost- and the best "cheap" apartment complex we are finding with great reviews is in Mountlake Terrace. My question is, how is Mountlake Terrace- would there be any reason to be leary of this area? The apartment is on 4402 212th Street Southwest, which appears to be pretty close to I-5, just to the south of the Alderwood Mall area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,264,202 times
Mt. Lake Terrace is really iffy. Lynnwood is too. I'd suggest Lake Forest Park, Kenmore, Parts of Brier, Woodinville, even Kirkland, Mill Creek, or Maltby.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,960,257 times
Wink A good base

I'm not familiar with the exact address you cited, but consider at least some portions of Mountlake Terrace, WA to be perfectly fine, even desirable.

If you'd like someplace reasonable to stay while scouting the area, a good option would be the Studio 6 in Mountlake Terrace, conveniently located just off I-5. Run by the same corporation as Motel 6, they tend to be a bit nicer, with every room having a small but full kitchen. As said, this particular property enjoys a great location, with grocery and other services nearby, is safe enough, has fairly modest rates if rented by the week, and basically a good base to work from:
Studio 6 Mountlake Terrace Washington Extended Stay Hotel

Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,599,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
I'm not familiar with the exact address you cited, but consider at least some portions of Mountlake Terrace, WA to be perfectly fine, even desirable.

If you'd like someplace reasonable to stay while scouting the area, a good option would be the Studio 6 in Mountlake Terrace, conveniently located just off I-5. Run by the same corporation as Motel 6, they tend to be a bit nicer, with every room having a small but full kitchen. As said, this particular property enjoys a great location, with grocery and other services nearby, is safe enough, has fairly modest rates if rented by the week, and basically a good base to work from:
Studio 6 Mountlake Terrace Washington Extended Stay Hotel
Thanks for the information! We actually went ahead and signed the agreement for a 6 month lease at the apartment complex I mentioned earlier, taking a bit of a risk but the reviews on this place were almost all positive, so I figured it would be OK- at least for 6 months until we get familiar with the area. The place is in north Mountlake Terrace, I think almost in Lynnwood- just south of Alderwood Mall maybe a couple of miles.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:13 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,396,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Thanks for the information! We actually went ahead and signed the agreement for a 6 month lease at the apartment complex I mentioned earlier, taking a bit of a risk but the reviews on this place were almost all positive, so I figured it would be OK- at least for 6 months until we get familiar with the area. The place is in north Mountlake Terrace, I think almost in Lynnwood- just south of Alderwood Mall maybe a couple of miles.
It might have changed in twelve years, granted, but for seven years I lived within five blocks of the southern edge of Mountlake Terrace and went there quite often. I thought it was a lot nicer than the semi-crummy part of north Aurora I lived in, quite frankly.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 AM

103 posts, read 206,808 times
Try Creekside Village in Mountlake Terrace.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:40 AM

159 posts, read 623,527 times
I spent the past year living just a few blocks from there, at 52nd and 212th. It's not a great neighborhood, but I never had any trouble. Don't leave anything in your car (anything at all - a friend of mine once had a blanket stolen, and that's not worth the damage to your car); property crime is not uncommon. My building was tagged last month. Not a huge deal, but a bit unnerving. You're at a busy intersection, which could be good or bad - good, because there will be a lot of people around, which could deter crime, but bad because there will be a lot of foot traffic at all hours of the night (there's a grocery store, gas station, a couple strip malls, and a drive-thru coffee shop all right on that corner).

Really, though, I think you'll be fine. I didn't like living there, and if I hadn't moved out of state (huge mistake; I really, really miss Seattle), I would have moved to another area, but like I said, nothing happened to me. And as you pointed out, it's a convenient location.

However, Bothell is pretty nice, and you should be able to find some relatively affordable apartments there if you look hard enough, depending on where you want to live. You might try looking near UW-Bothell. Also, there are some nicer parts of Lynnwood that will almost definitely be more affordable than a lot of other places.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 AM

214 posts, read 646,584 times
You are right on the corner of 2 pretty busy roads....like the only busy roads in mountlake terrace and right down the street from the high school where I graduated from. My g/f and I actually bought and renovated a small house not too far from where you will be moving(52nd and 222nd) by the elementry school. It is a nicer area than you will be living but same general area. Is there crime? yes. Is it bad? no. you may have some one steal your bike or your radio if you park your car on the street but its for the most part just bored kids since there are lot of them in the area. Its not like you are going to get mugged or any thing like that. Our street was quiet and nothing bad ever happned the year that we lived there. You will get spoiled living there because it is not only close but convenient to EVERYTHING. If you end up liking the area but not exactly where you are moving to try other parts of terrace, briar, lake forest park, bothell etc. There are some really nice places in the area. We currently have lived in bothell for about 5 years and like it alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington