Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
How about driving a bus for Metro? They're in need right now. I can't be certain about the wages exactly since it's been awhile but the training pay is around $14/hr, starting pay possibly in the low $20s (?) and top scale is about $27/hr. Of course it's part time to start but once full time you get excellent wages, benefits, and retirement packages ...it's in the state retirement system so you know it's better than a lot of private sector jobs. And wages and benefits are all union negotiated.

Thanks.

--'rocco
You will need to have a clean record for the past 5 years. No moving violations. But if you do, this would be an excellent option. Great idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
As I've said I'm not counting on it, but I think it's pretty likely. To be honest I would prefer something less "corporate" but I'm probably going to take the first offer just to get my foot in the Washington door, then I'll find a serious job after that (unless my first job just happens to rock).

EDIT: In response to the bus thing I do have a perfect record but I only have a standard drivers license and I would be terrified to drive such a massive vehicle! I'll keep it in mind, do they help you get your license to drive a bus?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
As I've said I'm not counting on it, but I think it's pretty likely. To be honest I would prefer something less "corporate" but I'm probably going to take the first offer just to get my foot in the Washington door, then I'll find a serious job after that (unless my first job just happens to rock).

EDIT: In response to the bus thing I do have a perfect record but I only have a standard drivers license and I would be terrified to drive such a massive vehicle! I'll keep it in mind, do they help you get your license to drive a bus?
Yes they do. If you are interested, check out the King County Metro Bus website. They also offer supervised training so you could comfortably learn.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Quote:

Yes, they do. You get the license as you go through training. Driving the massive vehicle isn't the problem, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It's the dealing with the public that's the tough part.

The only reason I mention it is that they will be hurting (or are now hurting) for drivers because of the massive expansion they are planning and also because of a lot of drivers applying to the Sound Transit to operate the light rail.

I heard from a friend this morning who is about ready to retire from transit that they may be, for the first time in almost 30 years, going to hire full-time off the street without having to go part time first. This is how badly they need transit operators. Some top step operators are making over $100,000/yr. working overtime. At almost $40/hr at overtime rates, it adds up quickly. It's a union job, however, and you said you wanted to avoid unions.

Thanks.

--'rocco

edit: *lol* singlemom literally took the words right out of my mouth ...or i should say, I took the words out of her mouth.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
It is interesting that many of our youth are so anti union. Yeah bottom line unions want our money. But what they don't realize, without them we would still have sweat shops. As Corperate America keeps chipping away at health benefits. Laying off workers and outsourcing of jobs, better paying jobs are going away and being replaced by lower paying jobs. Middleclass is going bye bye. We are slowly going back to the middle ages. Most of us will become serfs.I would love to see them outsource CEO positions to other countries Have you ever checked out the stock options of the elite? cashing in on stock options on thousands and thousands of shares worth $$$$, but only pay pennies on the dollar

Last edited by ted08721; 05-15-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I've been in a union before and they were the cause of my problems, not the company. Unions were necessary when sweat shops were a problem, we now have laws against that kind of thing.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I've been in a union before and they were the cause of my problems, not the company. Unions were necessary when sweat shops were a problem, we now have laws against that kind of thing.
I learned in 9th grade history class, change is constant and history repeats itself. Those that have not learned from the past are doomed to repeat the past. I think in a way unions are a necessary evil, sometimes it takes evil to fight evil. There are all different types of unions, just as there are different types of employers. Some are good and fair, others are not. Ultimately greed will raise it's ugly head. Just my humble opinion. Also i might add "power corupts, absolute power corupts absolutely." This may apply to both sides of the fence.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:56 PM

In recent years there has been cutbacks in funding OSHA, resulting in more on the job accidents. If the company I work for wants me to drive an unsafe vehicle, I go to the union. Union will back me. I keep my job. If I did not have a union, I could be told to drive it or else I do not have a job. Just an example. Lower level management is always under the gun to keep production up, not only are their raises based on production, but also their jobs.I am sure everybody has heard of the Walmart lawsuit about not paying employees for overtime and not allowing employees to take breaks.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 PM

My wife was once fired from a job for drummed up charges by a wacky supervisor, claimed she was not doing her job. Her supervisor would curse out the employees and belittle them, made some cry, my wife spoke up. There were times I would go meet my wife at the end of her shift, I would stand around for 30 mins while she helped a customer. After she was done helping customer I would go tell her to go punch out. She would reply "I already did 30 mins ago." She had no union.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
There are extreme stories on both sides but I believe that overall unions aren't necessary. You obviously feel differently and I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: