Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 07:39 AM

18 posts, read 92,255 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I found a great place to rent in Puyallup. It's tucked away on a hidden road and has all of the amenities that we are looking for. It's off 112st in Puyallup by Fruitland (less than 2 miles to the South Hill Mall). I will be commuting into Seattle and the Sounder Transit train is within a short bus ride. There seems to be the conveniences of shopping, restaurants, etc without the crowded city center vibe that usually comes with these types of locations. I see green lights as far as taking this place and I feel good about it but I don't know much about this city.

Can anyone give me a firsthand perspective on Puyallup as far as crime and just a general overview??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM

534 posts, read 3,106,461 times
Puyallup's a great town, there should be quite a few threads on it if you do a search. It has all modern conveniences anyone could need. Crime feels really low for the area (although the stats say different) and people are generally friendly.

The only downside to puyallup is 167 traffic. In a word, it sucks. If you can avoid it to get to the sounder, you'll be all set. My wife used to take the sounder and enjoyed it (although she took it from the Sumner stop).

If you have to take a bus to the sounder, and then get on the sounder, and then another bus ride from the sounder, you could be looking at a pretty long commute though. I would double check actual commute times because unless you're used to it, it could drag you down after a while. It did for my wife after about 6 months.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:58 PM

416 posts, read 2,507,330 times
Definetly take the sounder train from Puyallup to Seattle. It takes approximately 40 minutes each way. If you drive, it will be a nightmare. Sounder train is nice.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 AM

9 posts, read 34,344 times
I knew the lowest people there as a college kid and they were harmless. Not much crime really...occasionally something will happen when Tacoma crime creeps in Puyallup. But that doesn't happen often. I went to hs at Emerald Ridge High (good school). Pick a good elem. school there b/c the resources at Pope elem. are bad. Meridian is a pain, but you literally have EVERYTHING on that one street.

The people are more small town and overall nice. If you have teens or tweens....keep em' away from the Mall rats who wear all black at the South Hill Mall...

Pierce college there is nice, a good place to start a college education (and safer than going to Pierce College in Lakewood).

P.s. I know all the back roads to get around Meridian traffic....and YES traffic does suck....even to get downtown to the train! You should be good though if you get to the station 30 min. early.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM

50 posts, read 223,256 times
My aunt lives around there as well and yes traffic stinks, especially going up Meridian.. you could take the back road of Pioneer-Main Street into Sumner like someone suggested to catch the Sound transit. Just remember that the Puyallup Fair is around there that happens every September.. Also happens around spring too. So traffic might be bad during that time as well. I grew up in the Sumner area.. Haven't been home since 2001 so I don't know how the traffic has been but I do visit my family every year.. but yes Puyallup is a nice decent area to live.. Good Luck

Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 PM

18 posts, read 92,255 times
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your replies. I especially appreciate the heads up about the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington