Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,953 times

Advertisements

I live in Mill Creek Wa and the Landlord wants 60 day notice if we plan to leave at the end of the lease. Everything I'm reading says we only need to give at most is a 20 day notice. Anyone have a link to a citation that says the 60 day nonsense is unenforceable? Or something along those lines? I've found a reference for Month to Month that specifically says this, but not for a lease.

A link to a good Tenant Attorney would be appreciated as well if you know one.

Thanks,
Markus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
I agree, you shouldn't have to give any notice if you do not plan to start a new lease. I would think it's courtesy to let your landlord know, 30 days prior, that you will be moving - but I don't think there is any law that regulates notice if you have fufilled your lease term.

Of course, read what you signed - did you agree to giving 60 days notice at the end of a lease?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
I'm not sure how it works in Wash. state but in some places you must still give written notice even if your lease is up. You could be opening a can of worms by not knowing what applies in your state.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Have you already signed something saying you would give that? If so then it might be too late.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Have you already signed something saying you would give that? If so then it might be too late.
RCW 59.18.230
Waiver of chapter provisions prohibited--meaning that a lease does not supercede the Tenant-Landlord act. Let me give an example: The 'hole' I live in wants 30 days notice for Month to Month. I've already found in the landlord tenant act where it specifically says the landlord will NOT ask for more than 20 days--but this specific wording is in the month to month section. My point? My landlord is in obvious violation here with the wording in his contract for month to month situations. More than likely he is in violation of other stuff as well.

What I cannot find, is specific wording saying he cannot ask for more than 20 days notice if under a lease. I was hoping someone here had experience with this in the past.

Thanks!
Markus

Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,145 times
Default I am a landlord

In the state of Washington you must give 20 days notice prior to the end of your lease whether or not you are month to month. Refer to RCW 59.12 and RCW 59.18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: