Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,272,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I was there from September through April.

During that entire time period there were TEN sunny days!!! I kept track on a calender. FIVE of those days were in September.

Now I was gone for most of December so I might have missed some sunny days during that month.

I realize that it was probably a bad year for clouds and rain.
I find that very hard to believe.

We've had 5 sunny days this week alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 PM

132 posts, read 256,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
My wife and I relocated up to Anacortes for a job opportunity for myself with a compensation package we could not pass up. We have been here for 1 month and although I like the region, I am having mild doubts. It has been great enjoying the sunny days we have had the past few weeks, but I am really unsure if I can tolerate all of the gray days expected with a normal winter. I also think I will progressively miss the suburban lifestyle we left in San Diego. My wife works from home and likes it up here so far.

I am a native of So Cal and was getting sick of the hot summers, high cost of living and traffic, but am unsure if I was ready to give sunny skies throughout the year. We really analyzed this opportunity before we committed to this move, and I am going to give this relocation a full chance to experience a winter and summer season up here in the PNW.

I am posting here to seek feedback from others that may have moved here and encountered these same concerns. I really enjoy the outdoor activities and love snowboarding which are great positives of this area. I just may need a light box to go along with my vitamin D supplements to combat any potential SAD effects.
I too am born and raised SoCal; lived there just about my whole life. I made a sudden move up here north of Seattle going on 7 years ago now. That first winter was somewhat disheartening due to the extended periods of darkness and grey weather; but it hasn't effected me since.

You'll get used to it; I guarantee it. I was a life-long, t-shirt and shorts-wearing guy with a year-round tan that had been in place most of my life. I thought I was forever "bronze", because... well... I always had been. Interestingly enough, after my first winter here, I donned a pair of shorts in the spring... and found that I had turned pasty! "You're now an official Washingtonian", I was told.

DD

Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM

59 posts, read 157,964 times
I hope I did not appear to sound as if I do not like it here or am feeling depressed, because I am not. I just felt that my feelings and apprehensions were likely normal for someone experiencing a cultural shock with my urban to semi-rural new lifestyle along with the climate changes. Before coming up here I knew that alot of CA transplants have made it up here and actually love the change (at least in Anacortes), but I just wanted to hear some other varying opinions.

I plan on enjoying my first full year experiencing all 4 seasons here in WA, and than deciding how both my wife and I feel about staying here to raise a family and continue with our career endeavors.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,997,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious Dub' View Post
I too am born and raised SoCal; lived there just about my whole life. I made a sudden move up here north of Seattle going on 7 years ago now. That first winter was somewhat disheartening due to the extended periods of darkness and grey weather; but it hasn't effected me since.

You'll get used to it; I guarantee it. I was a life-long, t-shirt and shorts-wearing guy with a year-round tan that had been in place most of my life. I thought I was forever "bronze", because... well... I always had been. Interestingly enough, after my first winter here, I donned a pair of shorts in the spring... and found that I had turned pasty! "You're now an official Washingtonian", I was told.

DD
NO! Your officially a 206'er. Those east of the Cascades remain Bronze, Fit, and still look forward to the sun rising in the east every morning.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,636,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
NO! Your officially a 206'er. Those east of the Cascades remain Bronze, Fit, and still look forward to the sun rising in the east every morning.
With icicles hanging from their nose hairs.

And 206'er? Could also be a 360'er, 425'er, or 253'er, all Western WA area codes.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,172,712 times
You wil not believe how pasty white you can become... Good luck in your investment of WA....again get out and look aroound. This year is cold but really dry not normal. It is gpnna take another year or so for you to acclimate. This is not normal but after hte 21 of Dec starts the lighter days. Whahoo normally by Feb you are done here for the rain, By June you are pulling your haif out. But that June kinda - Sept you fall in love. Hopefully you make it till then?????? post next Aug and tell your experience.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 AM

6,323 posts, read 6,997,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

And 206'er? Could also be a 360'er, 425'er, or 253'er, all Western WA area codes.
Even with the icicles remember that it is a "dry" cold over here. Feels much warmer than the temperature. Particularly if your standing in the sun.

In our old timemy hearts, you guys will always be 206'ers no matter what the phone company does!!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,272,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

Not all that long ago there were only 2 area codes. 509 is dating himself. (herself) lol

I grew up in Phinney Ridge. My first phone number was ME 3 1744. (ME stood for Melrose, translated to 63) And we had an old phone in the house that still had the previous phone number on it. That number was ME1744. It's my understanding that the 7th digit was added in the 50's I believe. The home had been in the family since it was built in 1918.

What's interesting is that the exchange would tell you where in the city you lived. So Melrose was Phinney Ridge over to Wallingfrod. Then LA as I recall was near Lake City and so on. EA was Eastlake which also covered at least part of downtown I think. Oh yeah and SU was Sunset, which was Ballard.

Now I feel old. lol

Old 12-12-2009, 07:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,974,222 times
Wink In what it is

If in doubt, don't worry. In the end you may find Washington (and its weather) is not for you, lesson learned, with hopefully more than a little compensation along the way. You can look back on those aspects fondly, if thankful to be elsewhere.

I've really enjoyed winter in Washington, and summers as well, but unfortunately not to their full extent. So while reveling in the drizzle and overcast which could lend a certain coziness, if for an entire winter, well, I'm not so sure. I like sun as well. Although, and perhaps I was lucky, my experience in different years is that the sun does emerge occasionally, now and then, only it tends to be fleeting and most usually intertwined with cloud and shadow.

There is a thread on the Portland, OR forum with people b*tching about an unusual amount of sun, and otherwise depressed due the less than usual amount of rain. What that might suggest is that everyone has their favorite flavor, why some live in the PNW and others perfectly content to remain in Phoenix. Put another way, this your chance to try something different and gain a better sense of what you really do like.

As others have wisely suggested, the PNW is no place to play the hermit all winter inside. Those most content with it tend to be out and about, even enjoying the wet. It is such a lovely place, and surely moments when in beauty (and perhaps even fleeting sun) you'll be perfectly content with exactly the spot you're on.

And certainly visit Olympic National Park.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM

260 posts, read 767,041 times
Keep some relatives in California and go visit them in Jan or Feb. You will enjoy the sunshine but then be glad to get back to greenery and heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington