Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 AM

14 posts, read 91,833 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if you guys had any input about the community colleges in Washington state. I am looking to move out and spend a year at one of them before transferring as a resident to UW or WWU, and wanted to know which offers the greatest variety of classes, most knowledgeable professors, and overall education quality. I appreciate any insight you have to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
The community colleges also have a 12 month residency requirement to be considered a “resident student".

http://www.tacomacc.edu/admissions/residency/ (broken link)

Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I've taken classes at Bellevue CC and at North Seattle...like them both a lot...Bellevue has nicer physical facilities and smaller classes, and North Seattle has a long track record of doing things right for a long time.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
If you're going to do the transfer track, Bellevue College is probably the way to go. They're the largest community college in the state, they offer a lot of classes, and they make a huge effort to make sure their transfer classes are very similar to those offered at UW.

The other colleges do specialize in different areas, so BC is not necessarily "the best' in every situation. Cascadia CC is smaller, has more intimate classes, and they have a lot more active-learning type activities. Renton TC has a lot of good technical programs. North Seattle has a good real estate program. Seattle Central has good programs and a great location right in Capitol Hill.

And the secret about the CC professors in this area: a lot of them teach at more than one community college (less than 1/2 of CC faculty are full-time). So any comments about "teaching quality" usually have more to do with the facilities and resources available at that particular college.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Bellevue College has a lot of great programs that you won't need to go to UW or WWU. It depends on what you're looking to do. Do you have a specific area you want to go into?

There's also Lake Washington Technical college, South Seattle CC, South Central CC (which is on Broadway, in DT Seattle), Pierce Community College. You might want to narrow where you're going to live because we have a lot of schools here.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
South Central CC (which is on Broadway, in DT Seattle),
Probably just a typing mistake, of which I make daily, but it's Seattle Central Community College on Broadway.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 91,833 times
I'm not sure if I want to go to school in the city, as the rents are probably cheaper elsewhere...

Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM

271 posts, read 657,238 times
Hmmm.....
Everett, Edmonds, Shoreline, Cascadia, North Seattle, South Seattle, Central Seattle, Bellevue, Green River, Highline, Skagit Valley, Whatcom, Pierce, Tacoma.....who am I leaving out?

The point is there are a LOT of community colleges here and almost all of them would have some kind of transfer program to a Washington State University so, we would kind of need to know more of what you are looking for.

Some community colleges even offer student housing now. Green River and Edmonds are the two in western Washington I can think of. There might be more

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
Is Bellevue College good or "respected" in the sciences? What should I expect from the area as someone from a suburban Richmond VA?

edit: Bellevue College is not a community college anymore.. how hard is it to get accepted now? Do they only let people with perfect grades or what?

Last edited by Anders15; 12-21-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Bellevue College is a great college to go to, but its still not yet on the par w/ UW, WSU, etc. It still has to build up from Community college status. A lot of people still refer to it as BCC and forget its a full-fledge College institution now.

Bellevue as a city is on the higher end, but where Bellevue College is located is basically as middle class area as Bellevue can get. (I think this answers your question to the suburban Richmond, Va? Sry if it doesn't)

I don't think their acceptance-entrance is hard at all, after all you have a lot of people who are looking to change their careers and those who just want to take classes just for fun getting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington