Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

I know this is not about car buying but I am buying a new car and havent done this before and am terrified. I have bank financing and have pre arranged the price. They didnt have my color so it will be here soon

Can someone please provide answers to the following-

-how many docs do i sign at the dealership (the contract, and ???)
-since i am buying the car, not leasing it through them, should they give me the title then and there?
-how does this go regarding the bank financing. my bank says they should fax them the purchase order. once the bank gets that, they will give me the check. so here i am sitting in the dealership, they fax the PO, what then. should i just leave and go the bank, or do i sign the contract but leave without the car. help, confused about this step

Really appreciate all inputs as this is something i havent done and i dont have family in this State. also as a woman it seems this process is really daunting as i am going in alone.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
You will fill out the documents on the contract. They did a dealer trade for your color. The car should be there and inspect it before signing the contract. You will need to provide insurance on the new car - call your insurance agent and have a faxed copy sent over to dealership for paperwork. Depending on who you financed through will be how much paperwork.

If you financed yes you leave with car after providing insurance and signing papers. If you are paying cash no you never get the title until you have paid off the vehicle. Your regestristation will have your name on it with the bank as first owner. Typically if paying cash or financing your till get your title/ regestration /license within 2-3 weeks. The dealership should call you to let you know it is there or if you want to have it mailed to you let the salesperson or a receptionist know that you want it mailed to you and they will.

Congradts on a new car.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,845,745 times
Even after you've agreed on a purchase price, beware of the dealer's F&I (finance and insurance) person at signing. He or she may try to get you to buy overpriced add-ons like protectants. Don't do it, even though the dealer will explain that it will "only" add $5.00 or whatever to your monthly payment. They still get several hundreds of dollars in additional profit up front, and you'll pay for it , in the end.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
...avoid the extended warranties they'll probably try to get you to buy as well. They are typically worded with language so restrictive that they end up covering virtually nothing.

It's high dollar profit for someone...but not you!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Looking at your question again... You might have to go to your bank to sign documents if they are faxing the PO depends on if your bank is set up with the dealership for dealership to do paperwork. Depending on the dealership - some let you take the car if need to sign paperwork. Some want the paperwork before you take ownership. In WA you have full ownership/contract/obligation once you drive off the dealership property meaning you can not change your mind. You do have the lemon law though on a new car in Washington if there is something wrong with the vehicle and it can not be fixed- meaning they will give you a new car.

As far as extended warrenties some are good, some are bad. Depends on the company, how long are you going to own the car, manufactures warrenty, how many miles you drive a year? Look into it. I protectants are usually not worth it. You can always go into dealership and buy a warrenty later - it will be more $$ but not added onto your bill. You can also cancle your warrenty at any time and be pro rated back from the cancle date. However finance people hate that because it is deducted out of their paycheck, and will do anything they can to make you stay in it. (Yep I sold cars and did finance in the past). Good luck and enjoy your new car!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM

28 posts, read 95,457 times
Thank you all so much for the replies. This is very helpful

so as you all mentioned this is a dealer trade? Hmmm..that makes me think that someone is going to drive the car to me in Seattle from quite a few miles since almost no one had a red color for miles.

It also means that this car may be used slightly, could be a demo car or a car that was taken off the lot but returned when the new owner couldnt be financed (returned within a few days but still no longer new)

this worries me slightly -so here is my question--

--i want to ask the dealer to specifically mention "new" in the sales agreement or contract. do you all think this would work?
-how many miles should be ok for a new car? any ideas? meaning how many miles on the car should be a red flag for me?

This really is my main concern and since i have never bought a new car i have no idea how many miles is considered ok on a new one

Thanks again for all your replies

Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Why buy a new car living in Seattle? It will depreciate quickly due to "urban rash". What about Zip Car? My step-daughter lives in Seattle, and mostly uses the public transit there...Seattle traffic is bad too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington