Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM

20 posts, read 27,497 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, I will be visiting Port Angeles in late March to look around and get a feel for the area. Any suggestions on where to stay? I would also like to check out the local schools in the area seeing as I have a teenager and she would like to visit the schools also.While we are there can you suggest anything else we should check out, or maybe what kind of activities we be going on at or around that time? any info would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadog1 View Post
hi everyone, I will be visiting Port Angeles in late March to look around and get a feel for the area. Any suggestions on where to stay? I would also like to check out the local schools in the area seeing as I have a teenager and she would like to visit the schools also.While we are there can you suggest anything else we should check out, or maybe what kind of activities we be going on at or around that time? any info would be great

Lodging depends upon what you're looking for and your budget. There are several nice little B&B's in town. The Red Lion Inn is on the waterfront and if you get a room facing the Strait you'll have a nice view of the harbor, Coast Guard station (on Ediz Hook) and occasionally Mt. Baker. At night with an upstairs room at the Red Lion (if the weather is clear) you'll be able to see the lights from Victoria, BC.

Depending upon the age of your teenager, there is one High School in town. For a city this size, I think our public library is very nice and your kids may want to have a look at it as well.

Activities on the peninsula tend to revolve around outdoor things. A drive up to the park (Hurricane Ridge) is fun although there may still be snow at the top in March. We like hiking the Olympic Discovery trail or riding bikes along the waterfront. There are a few museums in town as well. Depending upon how much time you have, it might also be fun to explore more of the peninsula. You could take Hwy 112 out to Neah Bay. Cape Flattery and the Makah museum there are worth seeing. If you're in the mood for vampires, you could follow Hwy 101 out to Forks! If you had several hours at your disposal, you could also then continue down 101 to the rain forest (Hoh). All depends upon your interests and how much time you'll have here.

The "big box" stores (Costco, Home Depot, Petco etc.) are in Sequim, so I'd suggest spending a little time exploring Sequim as well.

Probably the best bet would be to keep an eye on the local paper (Peninsula Daily News) and they'll highlight any activity that might be going on during your time here. Here's their link:
Peninsula Daily News: Local Sports, Shopping, Dining, Lodging, Medical, Jobs, Homes, Cars, Classifieds, Obituaries, Services for Olympic Peninsula, Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Sequim, Forks, Jefferson County, Clallam County, Washington

In the spirit of caveat emptor, job opportunities are limited here, so if finding a job is part of the equation you'll probably want to scope this out as well.

Enjoy your stay!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM

271 posts, read 657,524 times
You could also board the ferry and go over to Victoria B.C. Make sure you have a passport though

Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I have stayed at the Best Western Olympic Lodge a couple of times and it has really nice views of the golf course behind it. The rooms are very good, but there's no continental breakfast!

Olympic Lodge : Port Angeles, Washington Hotel and Lodging.

Also about 10 miles west of Port Angeles is beautiful Lake Crescent

Last edited by kanhawk; 01-13-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 PM

20 posts, read 27,497 times
thanks for all the info. We will be there for a week or so.I forgot to ask if any of the lodgings are pet friendly. We plan to check out as many places as we can. Actually my 16yr. old has looked up the schools in the area,but would prefer to see them in person.Maybe a tour of the schools? We do plan to go to B.C. for a day or so also. We are thinking of moving to the area,but at this stage we are just looking.It is such a beautiful place we just have to see it in person.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM

49 posts, read 247,198 times
Default Schools

The schools in Port Angeles are pretty old, with the exception of Jefferson Elementary School, which is located in central Port Angeles. With recent school closures, the school district doesn’t have a very good reputation with the community. However, they have a promising plan for the future. Within the next 10 years, the school district wants to rebuild all of the remaining operating schools, starting with the high school. In order for this to happen, the school district will need the support of the community.

Currently, the high school offers a wide variety of options. During my Jr. and Sr. years at Port Angeles High School I split my schooling between the PAHS, North Olympic Peninsula Skills Center, and Peninsula College (the community college in PA). The partnership between the school district and the college provided a great learning experience. I graduated from high school with an Associate in Arts degree from Peninsula College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington