Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,212,473 times

Advertisements

Like most people with any kind of yard, we wanted to put up a backyard shed, nothing fancy, in order to store equipment, etc. (Maybe a 10x12)

Wow, sticker shock! The prices on sheds in the Olympia area seem very high. A couple thousand bucks for a SHED???

Yet if we look online and find something with a tolerable price, shipping costs put it out of reach for us!

Maybe we're looking in the wrong places (Craigslist, phone directory, newspaper).

Could anyone give us some better ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Did you check Sears or Costco? There are also several Home Depots and a Lowes in the neighborhood.

Lots of variation... neighbor bought a beautiful cedar shed through Costco around Thanksgiving... well built and he said the final price delivered was less than he could buy the materials.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM

214 posts, read 646,355 times
My g/f and I also recently went to look at sheds, we are in the middle of a remodel and needed a place to store some things. 3K for a shed is crazy, im going to save my self over 2K and just build one on the next nice weekend we have. I know costco sell some of the plastic rubbermaid ones that are actually really sturdy and fairly cheap. My parents have had one for about 5 years now and it seems to hold up just fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,121,433 times
We built our own and spent around $700 for materials.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,140,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
We built our own and spent around $700 for materials.
That was gonna be my suggestion. It isn't rocket science...believe me, my wife will vouch for the fact that if I can do it, anyone can!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM

To Sandy and Skinem, yes, it WOULD be rocket science for me and hubby to even attempt to nail a piece of plywood to a 2x4! You know how every teenager rebels in some way against the parents? Well, hubby's dad taught woodshop for over 30 years and hubby made sure HIS rebellion took the form of ignoring all his father's teachings!

So hubby redeemed himself by contacting some local woodshop teachers in the Oly area high schools and, lo and behold! one of them thinks he can take on the shed-building project for his class, no labor charges, just materials.

Thanks also for the other tips on going to the big-box stores but we still can't get past the shock of looking at the price tags.

I'll post again when we finalize the deal with the woodshop teacher. (We are sworn to secrecy as to which school he's with, as he doesn't want a slew of phone requests for the same project.) Just in case you want to call around to some schools, too, and find ones still open to the idea!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
Out here on the coast, we have lots of high winds with driven rain and falling branches. A shed has to be pretty substantial if it’s going to remain standing and be water and mold proof.

Plastic or metal sheds are usually not suitable if you want them to last more than a coupe of years.

We had a big storm and noticed that a lot of the display models set up on the Home Depot lot had blown down, except for the Tuff Sheds.

So we went to the Tuff Shed web site for more info and found out that the Tuff Sheds at Home Depot are built to lower standards so Home Depot can sell them cheaper, but they still seemed to be the best ones on the lot.

We decided to have Tuff Shed, out of Chehalis, build one for us. All we had to do was provide a level spot for it to set on which meant cutting and digging up a lot of Salal.

They built it on site in one day. It was constructed out of quality materials, no junk lumber nor chip board. It has a plywood floor, a sliding window and a wide door, and the paint and roof matches our house.

It is packed full of stuff and has gone through several severe storms and a lot of rainy weather and has never leaked and there is no mold anywhere.

It was not cheap. It cost about $4K. The Insurance company estimates the value of it about $7K and that’s what they insure it for in case it needs to be replaced like if a tree falls on it which almost happened a couple of months ago.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Out here on the coast, we have lots of high winds with driven rain and falling branches. A shed has to be pretty substantial if it’s going to remain standing and be water and mold proof.

Plastic or metal sheds are usually not suitable if you want them to last more than a coupe of years.

We had a big storm and noticed that a lot of the display models set up on the Home Depot lot had blown down, except for the Tuff Sheds.

So we went to the Tuff Shed web site for more info and found out that the Tuff Sheds at Home Depot are built to lower standards so Home Depot can sell them cheaper, but they still seemed to be the best ones on the lot.

We decided to have Tuff Shed, out of Chehalis, build one for us. All we had to do was provide a level spot for it to set on which meant cutting and digging up a lot of Salal.

They built it on site in one day. It was constructed out of quality materials, no junk lumber nor chip board. It has a plywood floor, a sliding window and a wide door, and the paint and roof matches our house.

It is packed full of stuff and has gone through several severe storms and a lot of rainy weather and has never leaked and there is no mold anywhere.

It was not cheap. It cost about $4K. The Insurance company estimates the value of it about $7K and that’s what they insure it for in case it needs to be replaced like if a tree falls on it which almost happened a couple of months ago.
When we win the lottery, Tuff Shed will be getting the first call! Very impressive story, as I KNOW how storms can be on the coast. (Used to spend winter weekends in a cottage at Yachats for years.)

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM

214 posts, read 646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I was going to build my shed close to the house but after reading this I think I just may build it right underneath the big cotton wood tree in our back yard lol One good storm could turn $1K into $7K

Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,000 times
You know how every teenager rebels in some way against the parents? Well, hubby's dad taught woodshop for over 30 years and hubby made sure HIS rebellion took the form of ignoring all his father's teachings!

Well- I guess he showed him.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington