Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to the NW...
Oregon..or Maybe Whidbey Island area..south end.

I know the ferry situation can be a problem to go to the mainland..but island life??

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM

28 posts, read 93,170 times
Default Beautiful!

The south end is just beautiful! We just bought a house in Clinton and we love it! Very small town but really a sweet place.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 57,019 times
I grew up in Freeland, very quiet, woodland area lots of wind and a long drive to mainland if feerys fouled up. Great area for boating fishing, and very nice summers.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
It's a great place, but be aware of its isolation and its dependence on the Ferry should you need to commute into the Seattle area. That can be a meaningful hassle and a significant expense.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansGeneral
...lots of wind...
Underscore that, particularly during the winter months. Throw in the occasional winter snow and ice storm with associated power outages-

Not necessarily a deal breaker, just a "look before you leap" thought.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:21 PM

20 posts, read 82,728 times
I live in Oak Harbor. Beautiful area, I love the rain and the wind.

I will give you some advice....if you move here have lots of money! If you don't have a job and you're going to rent be prepared to jump thru hoops until your head spins and to be taken to the cleaners on moving in fees. DO NOT GO THRU A REAL ESTATE BROKER!!! I live in a house rental, thru a real estate agency, it cost me a little under $6,000 to move in Then of course there are 3000 rules of what you can't do in the home so it never feels like a home. So prepare to have a wait to find a place. Look for an owner wanting to rent. Also, I moved here from California and the slow snail pace of washingtonians getting things done may drive you crazy if you're not prepared

If you are money stable and buying a home I think you'll be fine. I just went thru all this in the last 6 months, so experience talking and all that.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 16,549 times
I live across the cove from Coupeville, and I have never really felt isolated. It takes just about an hour and a half to drive up through the pass and back town to Seattle, and the ferry route takes about as long, maybe a tad quicker.

Yes, it's windy, but usually just the West side...if you find a place in the woods, it's protected so no worries.

I also moved here from another more busy state, and you really have to consider that you ARE moving to an island, and things just naturally move a little slower. The highest speed limit on the island is 55, but usually like 50. If you are in a rush to get anywhere, or just typically like a faster pace, then this is not the place for you. Consider Seattle or Bellevue for that.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 AM

366 posts, read 595,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennCoveLife View Post
If you are in a rush to get anywhere, or just typically like a faster pace, then this is not the place for you. Consider Seattle or Bellevue for that.
Translated from Islandspeak:

If you like to drive at posted speed limits and observe common road rules, you will not like Whidbey Island. Consider... anywhere else.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 93,170 times
I don't agree. Highway 525(the main drag up and down the island) is a posted MPH. That is reasonably fast for a stretch of HWY. The main freeways in Seattle are only posted up to MPH. I have seen law enforcement pull people over on the mainland for speeding, so there is not much rushing around being done over in the Seattle area either. Remember, on the island there is little to no traffic (except for the ferry line during the summer). So when your sitting on the 5 with a posted speed of MPH in traffic doing 25 where are you really going faster? Hwy 525 or the I5? I would say Hwy 525 because there is no traffic!

JMHO

Good luck!

I just moved on a couple of months ago and I love it. I would say your biggest worry about the island should be the ability to find jobs on the island.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,677 times
Default Lpn jobs in wa???

does anyone know about nursing jobs (LPN) near whidbey island?? I'm in the process of renting out my five bedroom three bath home in san diego ca. I currently am a nurse at the juvenile hall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington