Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM

47 posts, read 119,921 times

Advertisements

Well I am leaving the 14th to travel across the US from St. Louis, MO. to Port Angeles, WA. I got a house in Port Angeles, relatively cheap now to find a job.

I am moving there to get a fresh start and to be near family but the job market is getting scary.

I understand the highways and distances around the area are a little deceiving as far as time to travel.

Can someone tell me what would be within an hour of Port Angeles? That's about my commuting time now so it's not out of the question.

Anyone know any companies hiring, I have experience in retail management, customer service, retirement account help desk and manufacturing years ago. I am willing to do anything to earn a living though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 PM

576 posts, read 2,251,830 times
You didn't mention what line of work you're currently in (although from your post it sounds like anything would be considered) and it will obviously be a little different if you are now working as a bank executive or a construction worker. But speaking in terms of basic, entry level or various blue collar occupations, if you don't already have a job lined up in Port Angeles or Sequim, you're probably somewhat in trouble as the general job market here is slim to non-existant. I don't see any reason to look west of PA (Forks etc.) as the job market over there is even worse.

Let's see, Port Townsend is a little over an hour drive (one way) from Port Angeles but it's about half the size of PA with a smaller job market yet. About the only other option I could think of would be to look for something in the Poulsbo/Silverdale area but that's a good 1 1/2 hour (again one way) from PA.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Best of luck to you but the job market here is really not good right now.

Last edited by Dendrite; 02-05-2010 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: mis spelled word

Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 PM

134 posts, read 889,898 times
To move and have a place to rent without a job is kind of scary. I wish I had the courage to do that.

For a basic, entry-level job just to have "something" you may want to look at the hotels in the area. They don't pay much but with the area being fairly popular during the "tourist season" there are plenty of possibilities.

If you look "presentable" (ie. no visible tattoos, outlandish piercings, matted/unwashed hair) etc your chances of getting hired are greater as it would allow for more flexibility in the positions you could apply for but a lot of hotels don't want "unprofessional" looking people on their front desk.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 AM

218 posts, read 577,485 times
I hope you let us know how you will do! Port Angeles has a lot of foreclosures - I don't doubt you got a good deal on a house. However, I wince when I think of you not having a job lined up. People who move to coastal WA thinking they can make it on entry level jobs get a major surprise. Plus, I hope you noted carefully the property taxes on the home your purchased - they are high on the coast. I hope you make it, I really do. Washington already has high taxes, it is depressing what will happen to us as federal taxes raise as well and they are going to be higher starting this year.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,336,172 times
You're in for quite an adventure.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 AM

850 posts, read 3,701,331 times
Are you renting or buying a house? I hope you're renting, because there really aren't a lot of jobs in those areas. Of course, since it looks like you're looking for entry-level work, I'm sure you can find something.

As far as commuting, I would look basically only in Port Angeles for now. You're looking at a long commute for any town around there--Forks, Sequim, Port Townsend, etc. And plus there won't be many jobs in those areas. Are you looking at part-time or full-time work? If you do decide to commute, make sure you consider the price of gas, especially if you have an entry-level income.

Starbucks is often a good start for people, but they don't pay much and it's usually part time unless you're a manager or assistant manager. I think the other person's idea on hotels is a good idea. People can be pretty grungy in this area (nobody take offense to that if you live there, because there are a lot of people also that are not grungy), so have a clean-cut appearance would give you an advantage like the other poster said. Waiters can make pretty good money too. I can't say I really know of any big corporation or company that is there. Port Angeles is a pretty small town.

Having retail management experience might help you, too. Though, I have heard that a lot of the small antique and clothing shops are family owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington