Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 AM

134 posts, read 891,448 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting in the Puget Sound area and looking for a place to buy. I don't like commuting too much so the neighborhood I buy in to would also be or nearby to the neighborhood I would be working in. (I could transfer my job to much of the Puget Sound region)

I am single, in my 40's and have no family therefore, "good" schools are not important to me. Safety is also not of the highest importance. As a matter of fact I like "a little rough around the edges". No, I do not want to be living in some gang-infested neighborhood where I'm worried about hearing gunshots everynight. Yes, I do want to feel safe with walking my dog around midnight if that's when I get home but I know how to lock my doors and secure my truck to discourage burglaries.

I have a bit of a "blue-collar" mentality. I prefer bars over coffee houses, I prefer trucks over BMW's etc.

Since I don't know if buying a place or getting my job transferred would come first, I need to make sure there are some rentals in the area that would be pet (dog) friendly.

I already have a few ideas....just looking to see if anyone might come up with one that I haven't thought about.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Puget Sound Region covers a huge area. Helps if you narrow it down a bit-- but renting is a must because you have to see if you like the area or not. (Puget Sounds covers basically from Friday Harbor/Anacortes to down to Olympia then back up to Port Townsend.)

As for your talking about "blue-collar" mentality... are you saying you prefer to have bars in your area? You're going to at least have coffee stores everywhere because it's huge here. We don't really have a pub scene (though we do have some pubs).

Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Puget Sound Region covers a huge area. Helps if you narrow it down a bit-- but renting is a must because you have to see if you like the area or not. (Puget Sounds covers basically from Friday Harbor/Anacortes to down to Olympia then back up to Port Townsend.)

As for your talking about "blue-collar" mentality... are you saying you prefer to have bars in your area? You're going to at least have coffee stores everywhere because it's huge here. We don't really have a pub scene (though we do have some pubs).
Good point.

I'm mostly looking from the Everett to Tacoma area. I would also consider Bremerton

And yes, I know coffee stores are everywhere. I'll go occassionally myself but when given the two I feel more comfortable at a nice neighborhood bar

Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Well, Everett and Tacoma are going to have a more blue collar feel. Bremerton as well. I think out of all places, Bremerton would have the best value for money.

Maybe even Mukilteo/Edmonds would work as well. Though it will have a markedly less blue collar feel. Kingston has a ferry to Edmonds and its rural and very blue collar.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
How about Renton? It's within pretty easy commuting distance to both Seattle and Bellevue, it's clearly more blue collar than a lot of places around here. Certainly more expensive than Bremerton, but far less expensive than Bellevue, Kirkland, much of Seattle, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 AM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
I like this post it cuts to the point with no fluff. I vote Georgetown which has Smarty Pants, and Nine lb hammer for good dive bars. Or somewhere over in Columbia City/Beacon Hill.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
How about Renton? It's within pretty easy commuting distance to both Seattle and Bellevue, it's clearly more blue collar than a lot of places around here. Certainly more expensive than Bremerton, but far less expensive than Bellevue, Kirkland, much of Seattle, etc.
Renton is one of the places I would have considered a long time ago. With the growth and development out there now is it becoming more "yuppyish"? That is one thing I am not. I have heard that they are wanting to develop to become another Bellevue. If true, Renton is out of the question. If not true, I would still consider it.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Renton's powers that be might want it to become another Bellevue, but it's not going to happen. There's plenty of " almost hillbilly" housing and neighborhoods.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM

When I was growing up, people I knew refer Renton (and Kent) as the Bellevue's poor brothers (cities). [Poor as in "not rich/successful".]

I think Renton has some potential... perhaps you could look on the outer edges, like closer to Maple Valley.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
I like this post it cuts to the point with no fluff. I vote Georgetown which has Smarty Pants, and Nine lb hammer for good dive bars. Or somewhere over in Columbia City/Beacon Hill.
Thanks HuskyDawg. That's one of the reasons I made this post. It seems like everytime somebody is asking about where to move to they always state that "safety is of the upmost importance".

I understand that, especially if they are moving with kids but then those are the places you know about...not the places that are "a little rough around the edges" without being too dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington