Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 19,062 times

Advertisements

This summer I will be living in Mount Rainier National Park to pursue an internship opportunity for college. I'm really looking forward to it! However, I have never been to Washington before (I'm from Utah), and I don't know exactly what to expect.
Can any of you give me some advice before moving to Washington? Are there any towns near Mount Rainier with a cool atmosphere for "younger crowds"? I'm a 21-year-old male (almost 22) who will be moving there without knowing anyone, but I'm hoping to make some friends and come away from it with a positive experience.
Any information you all could give me would be really helpful.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAK View Post
This summer I will be living in Mount Rainier National Park to pursue an internship opportunity for college. I'm really looking forward to it! However, I have never been to Washington before (I'm from Utah), and I don't know exactly what to expect.
Can any of you give me some advice before moving to Washington? Are there any towns near Mount Rainier with a cool atmosphere for "younger crowds"? I'm a 21-year-old male (almost 22) who will be moving there without knowing anyone, but I'm hoping to make some friends and come away from it with a positive experience.
Any information you all could give me would be really helpful.
Thanks!
Expect beauty totally unlike Utah! Green upon Green... even better with the view of Mt. Rainier (where you'll be working at, awesome!).

Do you have a place already set up or do you need to choose a place?

All the towns immediately around Mt. Rainier is... SMALL. Way too many small-towns to list. Eatonville is a cute (small) town with the NW trek which is a great experience. The "Big" town closest to Mt Rainier would be Tacoma which is roughly 70 miles away-- rough around the edges, and a tad run down. I don't know about the night life there. If you want the young nightlife, definitely go to Olympia (~90 miles away) or Seattle (~80 miles away).

You mention that you're from Utah... You might get surprised by the amount of Liberalness here.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 AM

103 posts, read 783,360 times
Scroll down to Paradise in this link.Dining in and around Mt. Rainier National Park: Find a Restaurant | VisitRainier.com
Mount Rainier National Park - Frequently Asked Questions (U.S. National Park Service)
Don't forget there will be others like you and besides that the park will be full of people hiking,camping,sightseeing etc.So plenty of chances to met others.
I know some of the people that work there get transported to paradise by van on a daily bases.In other words you might be living someplace else where people in their 20s can have fun nearby.
If you know where you will be staying people here will have info for after work fun places.If you are staying in the park the link above gives you info for what is near.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Will you be working for GSI and dorming in Ashford?

Working in the park will be many people your age you will be able to hook up with. Also the Mt Climbing crowd if your into that kinda thing. There is three bars in the area that has some of the younger crowd in nowdays. Ashford/ Elbe is pretty generational so the younger crowd average is around 25 now. They are fun, querky small town bars, that have music occasionally.

Eatonville is a cute town but not Hip in anyway. Yelm is 40 minutes away but again not hip. Morton side no better. You will have to journey out to Tacoma if you want night clubs or hip hop in any fashion. Or over to Olympia for the Evergreen College crowds.

Again working in the park you will meet many people working for the summer around your age to hook up with and run into town when you want. Have fun! If you have any questions just ask - lived there over 10 years and still go up when home at least once a month, I moved a whole 30 miles away!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,062 times
Thanks for the info!

I will actually be living in housing located inside the National Park. The position is with the SCA (Student Conservation Association). The internship isn't paid but housing is included, along with a weekly stipend for food (although not much), and I get accommodated for transportation costs on my way up there, and coming back home. Pretty good deal I'd say! I'm excited and I'm hoping the experience I gain will lead to a fulltime, paid job.

Inkpoe, I'm not too worried about the liberalness up there. Even though I'm from Utah, you could say I'm not your "typical" Utahn. I consider myself to be pretty liberal by Utah's standards. I've already experienced "culture shock" while living in southern California for 2 years so hopefully that is out of my system.

Again, thanks for all the info. You guys were really helpful!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Cool your gonna have fun. Depending on what your doing my best friend might be your boss! Although she was moved to roads this year. You will meet lots of people. Have fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington