Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,839 times

Advertisements

I am from South Carolina and have been offered a position in Wenatchee. I am curious to know if there is any African-American communities there and if not what is the general attitiude towards Blacks. Here in the South it hasn't always been pleasant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA-Grad View Post
I am from South Carolina and have been offered a position in Wenatchee. I am curious to know if there is any African-American communities there and if not what is the general attitiude towards Blacks. Here in the South it hasn't always been pleasant
In WA, people don't tend to segregate themselves, and attitudes about race are aloof at worst. You'll be fine.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
I believe the last census showed a population well under a 100, with a total population in the valley over 75,000.

The community has been very welcoming to the recent influx of Mexicans, Ukrainians, and various other groups. The biggest group to face problems has been the recent transplants from Seattle. Whatever you do, don't get a seattle area code for your cell phone.

David is right in that the northwest is a very aloof area of the country. People are polite, but not very friendly. Welcoming in that they will help you, but making friends is more difficult.

The best advise we got when we moved to the northwest was to join every club and service organization with your interests and values. That got us connected with people in short order and linked to the community.

Everybody in Wenatchee that has lived here for awhile go to their lake places in the summer. So clubs really shut down during the summer and pick up in the fall.

If you have kids there are many actitivites for them. We know people, that had a hard time quitting clubs when their kids moved on the college and other things.

If you like the outdoors you will love Wenatchee. If you have a family it is a great place to raise kids. If your single and young....well it has been awhile for that one. So I probably should not comment.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I am from South Carolina and have been offered a position in Wenatchee. ...Here in the South it hasn't always been pleasant

Congrats on the potential job and move. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with social and career acceptance of any minority class in most of the PNW. It is very tough for me (non-minority) to travel in the south of USA and realize the presence and burden of discrimination.

You may initially feel a bit out of place with few African-Americans in the local populace, but don't let the internal feelings rule, because I trust you will find it a very refreshing change and full of sincere folks and equal opportunities. (I've often been in the minority when living overseas)

Think how nice it will be to get away from the humidity. I love the 'cool summer nights' for sleeping in the PNW. You may have a few lingering warm evenings, but generally no AC needed at night, and little during the days. (so it will be a refreshing change in more ways than one)

Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM

98 posts, read 543,809 times
My trip to the Wenatchee area is in less than one week! I will be spending time in Cashmere and E. Wenatchee as well. Hopefully my career and living situation will be a little more career by the end of this trip.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 PM

98 posts, read 543,809 times
We have been back for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed our visit to the area. During our short stay, I had a few job interviews, toured Chelan, Entiat, rode the entire 11-mile loop trail on rented recumbent bikes, ate at Cafe Anjou....we really packed it in. We decided it was a place we could really see ourselves raising our family. A few questions:
  • Is it always that windy? 15-25mph winds were the norm during our stay.
  • It looks like I will possibly be splitting my work time between Chelan and Wenatchee. What is that drive like in the winter?
  • Given my commute, where would be an ideal place to live? Keep in mind that I may eventually be working entirely in Chelan.
  • Wife really wants to live in Wenatchee. If that is the case, any communities/neighborhoods in Wenatchee or E. Wenatchee that are reasonably affordable and nice?
The wife and I will be going back for a formal visit within a couple of weeks. Trying to figure out how our time will be best spent during that time. Any realtors you recommend? Is it a good time to buy? We are open to renting for a time. Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
We have been back for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed our visit to the area. During our short stay, I had a few job interviews, toured Chelan, Entiat, rode the entire 11-mile loop trail on rented recumbent bikes, ate at Cafe Anjou....we really packed it in. We decided it was a place we could really see ourselves raising our family. A few questions:
  • Is it always that windy? 15-25mph winds were the norm during our stay.
  • It looks like I will possibly be splitting my work time between Chelan and Wenatchee. What is that drive like in the winter?
  • Given my commute, where would be an ideal place to live? Keep in mind that I may eventually be working entirely in Chelan.
  • Wife really wants to live in Wenatchee. If that is the case, any communities/neighborhoods in Wenatchee or E. Wenatchee that are reasonably affordable and nice?
The wife and I will be going back for a formal visit within a couple of weeks. Trying to figure out how our time will be best spent during that time. Any realtors you recommend? Is it a good time to buy? We are open to renting for a time. Thanks again!
Spring is windier than other seasons. This spring has been very windy.

Drive is fine. Lots of people do it. The bus also runs between Chelan and Wenatchee for a buck I believe.

Both are nice communities. If you can afford it I would go with Chelan.

Sunnyslope area. North end of either Chelan or Douglas county. Will get you on the road quickly in the mornings.

Kathy Emmerick of Windermere Realty on North Wenatchee Avenue is great. Very professional and will not waste your time. We have bought several houses through her.

Wenatchee is running out of flat land. The steep slope stuff cannot be built on because of land use restrictions. I would buy now rather than rent. Wenatchee is the first city with sunshine when you drive east from Seattle. That is enough to keep people moving here from over there.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
To 509: " Wenatchee is the first city with sunshine when you drive east from Seattle."

What a silly thing to say! You make it sound as if Seattle gets NO SUN the entire year.. Seattle gets plenty of sunny days 50-60 days, and plenty of partly cloudy days 100-150 (most of the time partly cloudy pretty much seems like a "sunny" day). It may not be a lot compared to places like Arizona, but thats still plenty of sun to me. And also, usually when Seattle is cloudy, wenatchee is likely to be cloudy, even if it may be much less wet. Please dont insult Seattle's weather compared to Wenathcee's weather. I think Seattle's weather can be great here a lot of the time, and we get more precipitation, which is a good thing, and less hotter summer and less colder winters. I could see why someone who want to move from over there to Western Washington just for weather reasons alone.

To MBA-grad:

From my experience(with Seattle) at least, race relations seems really good here. I was in an interracial relationship here with someone who is African American, and it went well with NOBODY around us showing discrimination or alienation. The Seattle area has one of the highest percentages of interracial relationships and multiracial people in America. Seattle had a two term black mayor in the 1990s that was popular. Spokane, Washington in eastern washington had a one term black mayor in the 1990s as well.

Good luck on the move to Wenatchee and I hope you dont have to deal with any racism. Racism sucks. I think youll find Washington state great with race relations however, sadly, racism and incidences of racism can exist anywhere. I think youll find a lot of great things about this state.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 8,389 times
Default latest on moving to Wenatchee

I am considering a move. The posts on this site are all old.
What is the current "climate" in Wenatchee? I live on the west side of the state and am very tired of gray skies. Recently retired. Looking for active young senior groups.
What about housing opportunities? Lots of properties on this side of the mountains for sale...not much moving.
Are there any condo/gated communities for 55+?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM

13 posts, read 39,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To 509: " Wenatchee is the first city with sunshine when you drive east from Seattle."

What a silly thing to say! You make it sound as if Seattle gets NO SUN the entire year.. Seattle gets plenty of sunny days 50-60 days
Ha! Try Wenatchee's 300 days of sunshine a year!! :P

I'm just teasing, no offense meant.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington