Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 35,316 times

Advertisements

Hello all!! My boyfriend is in the Navy and will soon be stationed on Whidbey Island. So, in a few short months, I'll be moving from West Texas to Oak Harbor, WA. I just graduated from college with a degree in Marketing. My question is: would commuting to Seattle totally be out of the question? Are there train systems that go to Seattle or is all transportation by car? Also, other than Seattle, any advice on where a fresh college grad like myself should look for a job in that area? Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Hi Sarah. I actually know several people who commute from the south end of the island to Seattle but they are aggravated by having to deal with the ferry connections.

Oak Harbor will even be more difficult. My recommendation is to try and find a job on the island. If that's not possible, try Anacortes, or the Burlington/Mt. Vernon area. Even Bellingham will be an "easier" commute than trying to go into Seattle ...you've got to remember the horrendous traffic in the Seattle/Everett area.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM

148 posts, read 765,704 times
Oak Harbor is a small military town with a small, but growing, retiree population. The job prospects there are not good. That area (Anacortes, Oak Harbor, Burlington/Mt. Vernon) is not the place for a recent college grad as the only jobs available are mostly in the retail/service industry. Really, the Seattle area would more than likely be the only place that you could put your marketing degree to good use.

It would take anywhere from about 2-3 hours with traffic to commute back and forth to and from Seattle. As scirocco22 says, it’s possible, but you might go crazy doing it. There are no types of commuter trains anywhere in western Washington. Your only way is by car. You can also drive down and take the ferry to Mukilteo, get off, and then drive down to Seattle. In all honesty, this is probably a little longer than making the straight drive. Again, as scirocco22 mentions, the ferry connection can be a royal pain, and I believe the ferry ride is $7 or so.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture. Congratulations on earning your degree.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:02 PM

169 posts, read 764,706 times
I'm sorry to have to agree with the other posters. I wouldn't move to Oak Harbor unless you absolutely have to, i.e., make sure that boyfriend becomes your husband. Then you will get the military benefits. I live on the south end of Whidbey and if I had to commute to Seattle, I'd move. It would take an hour and a half on a good day. Plus, the cost of gas, the cost of the ferry. Too much for me. Please let me know what other questions I can help you with. Congratulations on your degree...feels great doesn't it?!!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 35,316 times
Yeah, the degree does feel good, AlwaysSmiling!! Thanks to everyone for the responses! They are definitely helping, since I am overwhelmed with the idea of finding a career in a new state! So, its looking like Seattle would be the place to start, as far as a new career...........

Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,404 times
there are commuter vans that leave the south end of the island. From there a commute would be doable (about an hour to downtown), but not Oak Harbor (unless you have a plane or access to one).

Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 14,329 times
Default Moving to Oak Harbour

My husband will be posted to Oak Harbour and I was looking for some info on the Island life and employment opportunities in general. We will be moving from Nova Scotia, Canada. We live in a fairly large city at present and wondered how much of an adjustment Oak Harbour may be for me especially. Oak Harbour looks like a lovely City/Town and seems to have some shopping and ammenities. Any info on island life, ammentites, employment. The upside of living there and the downside would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:30 AM

169 posts, read 764,706 times
Good Morning,
There are many threads on Whidbey Island. I would suggest you do a search of them, and you will see a lot of comments.
Oak Harbor is a military town. With all your fast food, grocery store, car lots that a soldier might need.
The best part of Oak Harbor is that is ten miles away from the most beautiful park in the world. Deception Pass......very scary to drive or walk over, but it couldn't be more gorgeous.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 60,461 times
I am a Navy spouse and we moved to Coupeville in 2003. We rented a home there and I worked at the local hospital for a short time. (there are VERY few jobs) The weather there was dreary and rainy most of the time. There was very little to do and we had to go off island for mostly everything. We moved to Oak Harbor in 2004. There is some beautiful outdoor scenery but that is all we found there. Nothing to do.... we were glad to leave. We experienced some undesirable racism while we there. Whidbey Island isnt for everyone.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:09 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,774 times
We live in Mount Vernon which is also where many navy folks choose to live for various reasons. My husband works in Everett and he does the commute daily. I agree in general with all the posts. While Oak Harbor/ Coupeville/ Anacortes would be great if you had employment locally, I believe you will have to look further afield to put that brand new degree to use.

I would think that in the Everett/Bothell area it would not be too difficult to find a job in Marketing since many corporations are located in those areas. But that is quite a commute from Oak Harbor.

I always wonder too about commuting from south Whidbey because of the ferries. It's difficult to be locked into and depend on only one mode of transportation to get to and from work.

My best advice would be to take a look at a map of the area and focus your job search so that you and your boyfriend live equi-distant from your respective jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington