Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,319 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a small to mid-sized city that is progressive, liberal, and family friendly with decent employment prospects. Quality schools are important since we have a 6 and 8 year old. We currently live in Central Oregon in a small, conservative town that offers hardly any culture (unless your a cowboy/girl). We have been here almost two years, and it's just not feeling like home. I'm also tired of the dust. I like what I am seeing about Olympia, but wanted to get some other opinions. Please, let me know your views of Olympia or any other Washington city you might feel would be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 PM

47 posts, read 156,593 times
Why a Washington City? Corvalis/Albany area of Oregon or Eugene Oregon would offer some of what your looking for. We lived in Albany for a few months and it was great!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,319 times
I haven't ruled out the cities you mentioned in Oregon. We considered a move to Bend one hour away, but we really feel our dollar will go further elsewhere. A quality school is my number one priority followed by decent employment prospects.

Any opinions on the quality of Washington schools compared with Oregon schools? I've looked at some of the other threads and have gotten a general sense that Washington schools are better than Oregon schools, although I know quality can vary from district to district. Can anyone give some additional input?

We are also very tempted by a town that offers decent public transportation and is easy to bike and walk around. We have considered purchasing a home within the heart of a city so that we keep commuting down to a minimum. However, I don't want to be in a large city like Portland or Seattle. We are thinking a population of under 100,000, and maybe closer to 50,000, would be right for us.

I know, it's impossible to find that city that offers all the things you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: