Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 PM

506 posts, read 2,577,304 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a state income tax for everyone (eventually).

LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 PM

854 posts, read 4,144,709 times
I think you're right, Redline. As it is, this would of course benefit us now -- I'm a small biz and would be happy to see the B&O tax go, and wouldn't everyone love to see property taxes go down, even though they're not currently particularly onerous?

But it's the foot in the door. If couples making $400k are wealthy, well, in a couple years, aren't couples making $300k wealthy too? And if $300k is wealthy, isn't $200k? Hmm, I think we topped $200k one year and as things pick up we should be doing that again soon, I hope. In a solidly middle-class neighborhood with solidly middle-class cars, etc. If that happens, bye-bye one of the nice draws of moving to WA.

But, honestly, the sales tax is ridiculously high as it is. Maybe a limited income tax would be better than increasing the sales tax. Or they could, you know, trim budgets.......

....nah.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,274,089 times
Would the cut-off be indexed for inflation or will all of us be considered "rich" in a few years.

I doubt this idea is going anywhere, too many people are fed up with big-spending governments that never saw a tax they didn't like to hike.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:19 PM

84 posts, read 243,976 times
I'd much rather see a progressive income tax and a lower sales tax/B&O.

jenlion, if your family is netting $200k, I would be hesitant to call you middle class.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 PM

271 posts, read 1,238,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
But, honestly, the sales tax is ridiculously high as it is. Maybe a limited income tax would be better than increasing the sales tax. Or they could, you know, trim budgets.......

....nah.
Exactly, taxes are high because spending is high and keeps climbing.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Sounds like a state income tax for everyone (eventually).
you can bet that is the plan. and... cache 22... Do we chase away the employers (worse than now)?

That said... The B&O (and other business tax) is killing jobs.

AND states with a broader perspective on taxation are far more beneficial and sustainable overall.

WA is also chasing away retirees, that is not gonna pan-out for the long-term.

(btw...I call my $33/day ($12k/yr) WA property tax bill "seriously onerous", since I have ZERO income but, your mileage may vary.)

Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,683,875 times
Tax the rich in Washington, and many will leave. Put higher taxes on their buisness, and they will leave.

It is an easy way out, but it is is detrimental to business in the state.

And less business in the state will make things worse for everyone, the rich, the middle class, and lower income folks.

This is SO short-sided. Wake up Washington!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
I wonder if the Microsoft or Costco groups will shift staff?

Personally, I find the Property Tax to be onerous... 80% increase in less then 3 years has caused me to rethink things...

The thing about income tax is a portion of what you earn goes to taxes... no earnings... no tax...

Don't really have a problem with sales tax... other than it is getting rather high... I always have the choice to do without, buy used or make do...

A fair system would be a small flat tax paid by just about everyone with a low threshold... and it would be very simple... don't need a bunch of CPA's to figure things out or their bills.

The thing about property tax is that it is due irregardless of ability to pay and the county has the ability to determine value on a whim... well not a whim... more like an opinion of value.

B&O tax is confounding for many small businesses... just the way it is...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM

850 posts, read 3,721,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikdahl View Post
I'd much rather see a progressive income tax and a lower sales tax/B&O.

jenlion, if your family is netting $200k, I would be hesitant to call you middle class.
I second that! If you make 200K, you are rich. If you're having a hard time getting by on that income, you're spending too much money.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,374,703 times
Washington is one of the few states out there without an income tax, and because of the economy, tax revenues are way down. So if they want to continue government services without making large cuts, they have to raise revenue somehow.
Gates senior or otherwise, an income tax not going to fly here. It's so deeply ingrained in the culture of this state that an income tax is akin to communism or worse, no way it'll fly. Political suicide.
That said, if you have to raise revenue, what's the best way to do it? You can't tax the poor, cause they don't have the money. You can't raise taxes on the middle class, cause there's a lot of them, and they've had it with tax increases. That leaves the rich.
In this state, the rich are worshipped, and we the taxpayers bend over backwards to do things like build them stadiums or happily give them rezones so they can build more buildings to make more money.
I'm not saying this state is pro-business. In fact, B&O taxes are onerous, and the governments make operating a small business difficult....But if you're rich enough, you have nothing to worry about. If you make 200,000 a year, you're just not rich enough to get elected officials to bend over backwards to ensure that you get richer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington