Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 14,137 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a road trip of Washington. Though I live in Vancouver, I've probably seen more of Oregon than I have of Washington. I want to change that. I am wondering, within the state, what are the best places to stop and visit? Sell your favorite towns to me. Do you have a favorite place to eat there? Any spots you love to visit? The more specific the better. I'm interested in the history and culture, too.
Also, if you've been on a road trip of the state, any tips would be terrific, especially on the route I should take.
I am only 18, and I've heard of hotels and motels where you have to be older than that to get a room, so lodging tips would be extremely useful to me.

I looove photography, astronomy, history, and animals. If you know of any places you think I'd like, please let me know! I'l look in to everything.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Here you go.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com

He is currently posting places in eastern Washington.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Scenic Byways
America's Byways - Pacific Region
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
http://www.allgetaways.com/region.asp?areaid=100490
http://www.milebymile.com/main/Unite...ay_photos.html
http://www.travel-in-wa.com/TRAVEL/road_trip.html (broken link)

Cheap places to stay:
Hostels
Washington hostels - Hostels in Washington
CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

Free Campgrounds for RVs
Federal Campgrounds Abound in Washington State: Most Sites Located in National Forests, Near Dams East of Mountains (http://camp-sites.suite101.com/article.cfm/federal_campgrounds_abound_in_washington_state - broken link)
Washington Campgrounds - Camping in State Parks, National Parks, Forests and Private Campgrounds
state parks
Maps at Washington State Parks

I've been using private guest homes for ~20 yrs = $10-$20 / night, very safe and good local travel info from locals (there are several 'directories' available, some of mine are age restricted (50+) and some are church based, we started this type of travel with a 'home-school' directory).

Stop and talk to lots of people, tourist centers / chamber of commerce are a good place to start

Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,137 times
Thank you so much for all the links. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stop and see though?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Stop about anywhere you want.

If you don't have a specific time frame, I would go to a small town and work for awhile. At your age I found it very ez to get jobs during holiday, harvest, and hunting seasons so follow the weather / schedule. Senior service centers lend a lot of volunteer opportunities to get to know folks and local history. Same with working in a local diner. Look to clubs that are in your areas of interest and attend meetings / shows (animals?, you like poodles, parakeets, pigs or ponies?) You can work at a county fair!! Or a sale barn OR follow the photography shows and exhibitions around the state.
For astronomy, be sure to tour the public observatories in August.
Goldendale had a great program last I went (only 2 hrs from Vancouver).

A few other places I like to stop (small towns):
Packwood; Winthrop; Twisp; Coleville, Metaline Falls, Newport (soda fountain), Rockford, Colfax, Almota, Pomeroy, Dayton, Waitsburg, Walla Walla, Wishram, Glenwood (breakfast and shakes); Troutlake (arts and Huckleberry weekends)

Historical places / societies and shows I frequent
WSRHS Home Page
psatma.com
Washington State Steam Railroads and Locomotives: Collections
La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum in the Historic Gaches Mansion
The National Quilt Museum

I would travel in a Camper van, (~$3000) thus you can stop about anywhere. I've bought old pickups with campers for under $100, that'll work too. Throw a bicycle in for getting around town on a more personal level.

This is about 0.1% of the stuff I would like to do in WA state.

Good luck, have fun, be adventurous
------------------

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Too many miss the beauty of the upper Columbia, The achievement of the big dams (Grand Coulee, Chief Joseph), and the fantastic geology of the dry falls area.

Dry Falls, Washington, USA.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM

850 posts, read 3,716,773 times
First off, Do you like hiking? I hope you do because I'm going to mention a few short hikes to stop at during the way. You could spend a whole week just driving along HWY 14 from Vancouver. Start your drive on HWY 14 headed east towards Camas. You will eventually come to Beacon Rock. Take this short 1 mile hike on the side of the rock, switching back and forth up the ramps. Once you get to the top, you will have the best view of the Columbia River Gorge--bring $5 for the parking fee. Then stop in Stevenson for lunch at a great burger place. Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but the town is small enough to where it shouldn't be hard to find.

Continue driving and enjoy the beautiful scenery, and then stop at the Maryhill Museum of Art, a mansion built by Sam Hill. Maryhill Museum of Art Visitor Information - Information for Visitors to Maryhill Museum of Art.

If you're really ambitious, continue driving to Tricities--Kennewick, Pasco, Richland--for a night's stay. I can't help you much on the best hotels to stay. There isn't too much there, but it's worth seeing if you've never been there before. Take a stroll on along the Columbia river.

You must also see Spokane and view the Riverfront park. Take a ride on the skyway that goes over the river and walk along the river to view the waterfalls.

Other places are Moses Lake and the sand dunes; Coulee Dam; and Leavenworth, the European styled city. There is Lake Chelan for a great camping spot.

Head to Mt. St. Helens to see the Johnston Observatory and view Spirit Lake and the downed trees, Mt. Ranier to Paradise Lodge and the surrounding hikes, etc.

My favorite area in Washington is the Olympic Peninsula and the HWY 101 loop. If you only do one thing, do this. From Vancouver, take I5 North. Take the exit in Tacoma towards HWY 16, Gig Harbor. Eventually 16 turns into HWY 3 in Bremerton. Cross over the bridge and head towards Port Townsend, a nice little town to view the shops. Head out on 20 towards 101 to continue around the loop. If you planning a couple days, stay in Port Angeles. Take the ferry from here to Victoria, Canada and spend the day there.

Then continue driving west. Take 112 to Neah Bay and take the 1/2 mile hike to the end and view the cliffs at the Juan De Fuca Straight/Pacific Ocean. Head back and then south on 113, and then Continue west on 101. Come to Forks and then take 110 towards La Push beaches. There are several, and take the small hikes to the secluded beaches. I think these are the best beaches you can find in Washington. Head back south, go through Aberdeen, and then to Olympia and I5. If you have more time, stop at Hoh Rainforest and Lake Quinalt.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
How about doing the Cascade Loop? State Scenic Byway | Scenic Driving Tours | Washington State

Group of motorcyclists went out from Tri-Cities, spent the night near Omak, went on to Seattle and the ferry ride, spent the 2nd night in Levenworth. Good trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington