Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,977 times

Advertisements

Dilara, if your husband wouldn't mind the commute, have you thought about Bainbridge Island or perhaps Poulsbo? I know you would like Bainbridge, but it is extremely expensive. Still if you are looking for a place you can be happy, I think Bainbridge Island or perhaps Poulsbo would be a great answer for you. The Bainbridge to Seattle ferry is only about 20 minutes (I think; it has been a long time since I used it). If Bainbridge is too pricey for you, Poulsbo is a lovely, lovely alternative.

If I may suggest....take the Edmonds-Kingston ferry and come over to the Poulsbo area, look around there, then drive up to Bainbridge and drive around there. I think you'll be extremely surprised at the differences between Southern Kitsap County (Port Orchard/Bremerton) and Northern Kitsap County (Poulsbo/Bainbridge Island).

Good luck, honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,667 times
Default Schools a consideration?

If schools are also a consideration, looks like Kitsap County has some good schools with Central Kitsap being the best one in the Kitsap County according to the Kitsap Sunn article. If you need to check schools scores, the web site is Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. which will give you a breakdown on each individual school. I know you are several years away from thinking about schools but just thought I would give you the info on the schools in case it was of interest to you. I agree with brightcopperkettles on Bainbridge and Poulsbo. I am a huge fan of Poulsbo but it still may be a bit rural for you if you like the city but definitely go check it out for yourself. The beauty of Bainbridge and Poulsbo may change your mind and Seattle is so easy to get to for the "city" life.
I wouldn't pay any mind to people who can't handle your opinion of their town. If you didn't like Port Orchard, you have every right to speak your mind. This is what this forum is all about.... OPINIONS and advise to people who seek it.
Good luck to you Dilara.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 PM

467 posts, read 324,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Dilara, if your husband wouldn't mind the commute, have you thought about Bainbridge Island or perhaps Poulsbo? I know you would like Bainbridge, but it is extremely expensive. Still if you are looking for a place you can be happy, I think Bainbridge Island or perhaps Poulsbo would be a great answer for you. The Bainbridge to Seattle ferry is only about 20 minutes (I think; it has been a long time since I used it). If Bainbridge is too pricey for you, Poulsbo is a lovely, lovely alternative.

If I may suggest....take the Edmonds-Kingston ferry and come over to the Poulsbo area, look around there, then drive up to Bainbridge and drive around there. I think you'll be extremely surprised at the differences between Southern Kitsap County (Port Orchard/Bremerton) and Northern Kitsap County (Poulsbo/Bainbridge Island).

Good luck, honey.
I was just about to suggest that!!! I live in Poulsbo (husband is on a submarine) and I can tell you that it is a nice safe little town with a great market (Central Market) and quick access to either Seattle from Bainbridge or Edmonds or if you just want a quick trip to a little mall - head down to Silverdale (10 min).

We've lived here for 2 years and although it is pricier than PO or Brem or Silv - we love the town and the school system.

PO is about 20 min from here so not a long commute for your hubby and he'd be the only one heading that way during rush hour (most commute FROM PO because the housing is cheaper).

Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM

35 posts, read 202,979 times
This may sound nuts, but the OP might consider Tacoma. Port Orchard is an accessible (reverse) commute, Tacoma has a version of the amenities of Bellevue, and they could become familiar with the Kitsap penninsula to see if a closer move would be good. Also the Tacoma schools might be ok - I don't know firsthand about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington