Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 26,828 times

Advertisements

Take a look at the Tri-City area - Kennewick, Richland, Pasco. People are friendly, traffic is light, recreational opportunities are plentiful, and the cost of living is low. There are several hospitals and many churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 38,759 times
I live in Moses Lake. It sounds like you would love it here. Not so great on the shopping, but within 90 min. Everyting else is great

Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 PM

26 posts, read 199,578 times
Hi Chris082060, My husband and I are looking at retiring and are considering Kettle Falls, We really love the East side of the Mts, We are specifically looking for warmer weather, longer growing season, not alot of cloudy days nor rainy days, snow is ok, just hate the doom and gloom 24/7 that the west side has to offer. Are we anywhere close by choosing Kettle Falls, Colville area? your input would be greatly appreciated. Thnx-Lisa

Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 51,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA IN LONGVIEW View Post
are considering Kettle Falls...specifically looking for warmer weather, longer growing season, not alot of cloudy days nor rainy days, snow is ok, just hate the doom and gloom 24/7 that the west side has to offer
You will find a SHORTER growing season here.
You will find very dry hot summer days but chilly evenings (wear a sweater at night, except maybe one or two weeks out of the summer months)
The main thing is lower humidity makes it completely more comfortable here even if it isn't warmer or sunnier. (We can be dark and gloomy in winter but all the snow everywhere for 5 months brightens things up a bit!)
Yes you WILL find MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH less rain than on the 'coast'.
You will also find a much MORE conservative politics. Be ready for that. We often refer to 'the west side' as if it is a foreign country--like when the governor wants to pass a law limiting the number of quarts of wild huckleberries we can have in our possession...

Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Are you serious about the huckleberries comment? Man, nothing surprises me anymore. Isn't that sad?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 51,129 times
Exclamation yes, Serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Are you serious about the huckleberries comment?
YES, SERIOUS. It was considered SERIOUSLY but fortunately did not pass.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 17,861 times
stay clear of Othello and Quincy. large migrant population with lots of crime. If you must live there, I highly recommend private school for your kids. lots of gang activity in the public school system and almost all of the school resources are spent on helping the migrant population at the expense of others.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I'd add Walla Walla to your list to check out, tho it is a bit far from the "west-side". I have found it to be real friendly, and offers both jr college + university + hospital and enough industry / economy to avail various employment while schooling (plus a prison for interning(ment) !!) . I like Waitsburg, a little town ~ 15 miles east of Walla Walla. It has some great old homes and buildings.

River + Blue Mountains nearby for recreation. Conservative socially (Lots of SDA, but others to), and plenty of organics and 'green people too.' They have a nice 'sustainable living center' Sustainable Living Center and they used to host the "renewable energy Fair", which was a great vacation escape for us 'west-siders'. Now they do seminars at the center.

If schooling wasn't in your formula, I'd look to Kettle Falls, but for educational opportunities for both you and your kid, and a nice place to reside, do give Walla Walla a look. Tri-cities is good too, but you need to look them both over. Try to stay in a guest home when visiting. (local residents ~ $20/ night 'contribution', great way to travel and get the 'straight scoop', and get involved in the lives of others). Go to some public events and visit the stores you would shop, churches, markets...and drive around during commute hours. I also like to drop in on the courthouse / driver's / auto license places and see how friendly they are. Just ask a lot of questions, and frequent some casual social places. You should get a good feel in a few days, you can also pack a lot into a weekend. My spouse and I split up and each go to different spots and then compare notes and re-visit. (you can visit ~ 6-8 churches in one weekend that way!! Sat. eve, multiple Sun AM and Sunday PM) Have fun, good luck (with the move and school)

Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 PM

82 posts, read 324,979 times
Default Tri-Cities has my vote

I like the Tri-Cities and moved here from CA in 2003. Great schools, low housing costs, plenty of shopping and great free family/community activities in the warmer months. If you guys are looking for a place to stay while checking it out, my husband and I have a vacation rental listed on Craigslist for Kennewick area. I have a little packet with great restaurant info too. Best Wishes!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM

24 posts, read 56,153 times
I'm following this thread but I don't know what tri-cities is. Would somebaody give me a definitive description, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington