Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times

Advertisements

smoking weed is also against the law but apparently thats not stopping people either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Default Hands free cell phone law takes effect on Tuesday!

A state law that takes effect on Tuesday makes it illegal to drive while talking on a hand-held cell phone.

Cell phone bill, text message ban signed into law | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
*sigh*

When will these lawmakers understand that it's not having a phone in one hand that's the problem. The problem is distracted driving, and there are laws for that already on the books.

If you're having a heated argument on your cell while you're driving, it's no different from having a heated argument with someone inside the car. In either case, you're not paying attention to the road. But having a casual phone conversation is, again, no different from having a casual conversation with someone in the car. Most of us can multitask just fine.

Having a phone in one hand and glancing down to dial is no more or less dangerous than changing the station on the radio.

For the record, I hardly ever talk on the phone and drive at the same time. But it's not an issue when I do.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 PM

48 posts, read 267,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
For the record, I hardly ever talk on the phone and drive at the same time. But it's not an issue when I do.
I agree that it's the intensity of the conversation that is the distraction (and I think every study concurs), but even a "light" phone conversation can be distracting, whether you're conscious of it or not (that is the whole problem, people are not cognizant of the distraction level until it's too late).

There was a story on the news yesterday where they asked someone who'd conducted a cell phone study about phone conversations vs. conversations with passengers. They said it was not comparable because the passenger is aware when your attention needs to be on the road (lane changes, stop-and-go traffic, etc) and will stop talking when needed, whereas someone on a cell phone has no idea what's going on. Also, the passenger serves as "another pair of eyes" on the road and can warn the driver of trouble, whereas again, someone on the other end of the phone cannot.

Not saying cell phones should be banned from cars, but the reality is they are a provable and preventable distraction, whereas "driving distracted" is so difficult to enforce as to be practically useless.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
I know there are some people out there that just shouldn't be talking on the phone and driving but this law is stupid nonetheless. Its going to be hard to enforce first of all. And whats stopping people from text messaging which is worse!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM

30 posts, read 272,349 times
Give me the days when you had to go home or to a phone booth to make a call. Not a cell phone fan, don't own one, and they should NEVER have been allowed to be used while driving!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 PM

48 posts, read 267,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
Its going to be hard to enforce first of all. And whats stopping people from text messaging which is worse!
It's no different than any other traffic law where the proof is the cop's word against yours. Actually, it's easier to enforce because if you try to deny it the prosecutor can simply subpoena your call records.

Text messaging while driving has been banned in the state since January 1.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:14 AM

5 posts, read 24,805 times
After everything I've seen over the years, from someone going 20 mph on a I-5 on-ramp because the person was texting to *** *** I don't care if I'm weaving all over the place, I'm glad this law is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington