Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 14,476 times

Advertisements

Originally from Southern California I've been stuck in the country outside Charlotte,NC for three years- IM REAY FOR A CHANGE. I've always wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest and next year I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm in my early twenties, female, single, and ready to be in a "smaller" urban city enviroment. I've been doing research on Tacoma and there improved downtown area and think it would be perfect for me. The prices ranging from 450-850 for rent is what Im aiming for. I have a good friend originally from Federal Way who raves about Tacoma, but I'm afraid she is will say anything to get me to move to Washington. These are my main concerns:

-Safety- Every review is mixed, but I will be living alone preferably in the downtown/ stadium district area. Should I be concerned for my safety. Every city has there issues, and coming from the "Valley" in CA and Charlotte ( rated high in crime rates) anyone have comparisons?

-Jobs - I work in a corporate enviroment for a large retailer who will secure some position for me in-store , which is fine, but I would probably pursue a corporate job in a merchandising position ( Amazon, Google, Rei....they have corporate offices in this area) I also am considering completeing Dental Assistant program change my pace a little. Either position have any luck pursuing?

-Transportation- I do not want to really drive anywhere but to work, can I rely on walking/bikes/ and public transit for everything else.

-Lifestyle- Im eco -friendly and appreciate others with same mindset. I do not mind marijuana users, but do not really want to do with some of crackheads/tweakers ( I know they are everywhere just do not want them in the neighborhood Im in)

Any input woul be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 PM

238 posts, read 866,191 times
Downtown Tacoma is pretty safe and clean. A lot safer than popular areas in Seattle (Capitol Hill, Belltown, etc). Yeah you will see some undesirables but they won't mess with you. The security force in Downtown Tacoma is pretty big. You have Tacoma Police, UWT Police that patrol a large area, Hospital security up the hill that patrol the neighborhoods do to the hospital parking lots, BIA Security on their bikes and building security that at some of the larger buildings around downtown.

I live & work downtown and have never felt threatened.

Jobs like everywhere can be tough. Tacoma does have some big corporations headquarters here but not a lot or retail/high tech. A lot of jobs are growing local companies so when searching get creative and not just look for big names.

Transit is pretty decent in Tacoma. We have local buses, light rail in downtown, Sounder trains up to Seattle. If you live in Downtown Tacoma you probably don't need a car to commute to Seattle if you had to.

If you live Downtown there are going to be crackheads. That is just the way it is for now. They usually stay in their little areas and do whatever they do.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the input, Do you suggest somewhere other than downtown for living? I just do not want to be stuck in the burbs with a bunch of families. I prefer to be with the twenty to thirty something crowds. Any other towns/areas I should be looking at as well?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Proctor district in Tacoma is very nice. So's Old Town, and the Stadium neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM

35 posts, read 161,560 times
Based on what you've mentioned, I think I have the perfect places in the city in mind for you... These are the names of the neighborhoods: Stadium, Downtown, 6th Ave, Old Town, and Proctor. Here's a little more info on each of the neighborhoods:

Stadium is the most "urban", functional neighborhood in the city. Several young people like the area for the nightlife, shopping, and proximity to everywhere else. There's a neat mix of hippies, yuppies, gays and elderly folk enjoying life.

Downtown is adding more residential units all the time and is constantly getting better, except there is no grocery store (nearest is in the Hilltop and Stadium District) yet or much retail either.

6th Ave has the best nightlife in the city (along with cool shops and good food) and people from all over the South Sound come here on the weekends.

Proctor is the liberal, eco-conscious, family raising part of town. It honestly really isn't all that happening for us young folks. It's nice and vibrant. (Think wine and organic food)

Based on what you expressed, I would say the Stadium District is easily the best part of town for you.

On the note of bad areas in town... We do have them, but they're nothing like the rest of the country. People swear up and down that the Hilltop is horrible. Don't listen to them. It has a bad reputation from the 80's and 90's, but today, crime is low and the area is cleaning up nicely. If you ever consider to buy a home in the city, this is where I would strongly recommend you to look. There's a good school (Bryant Montessori) for the kids, and really cool grassroots people living here. This is where I live. The Eastside has been a little rough lately. And South Tacoma has its good and bad pockets. But overall, it has a very blue collar feel, and other than dive bars, doesn't have much nightlife.

As for jobs, I can't really speak on that. I'm finishing my degree up at the UW Tacoma in city planning and will likely end up leaving the area for work (though not for a year or two! I like it here).

Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 26,693 times
Out here near University place is pretty nice too. My wife and I live near the Tacoma Community College which has a huge bus hub, we pay 720 for a 2 bedroom apartment and we are near a bunch of stuff.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM

54 posts, read 220,616 times
tacoma = ghetto

Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxis View Post
tacoma = ghetto

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

So much useful info! Thanks for making this a little easier. I have been concentrating my time on the stadium area, Im a go with the flow kinda person so this area def. sounds like something I would love. I understand every city has its crime especially when you get over a 100k. Im thinking ghetto is a harsh word for Tacoma seeing as the area I am currently living is rated 5th highest crime in the U.S. and Tacoma is 56th..... something to ponder over.

Since I have some younger adults attention.... Best pubs/bars suggestions? How is the local music scence?

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 PM

35 posts, read 161,560 times
So, the local music scene (to the best of my knowledge) really takes place in Seattle. However, there is Hell's Kitchen downtown which usually has some form of live music on the weekends. Also, Jazzbone's on 6th Ave usually has some too. I'm sure there's more, but unfortunately, I don't know too much.

As for the nightlife scene: There are two key places that this occurs: 6th Ave and Stadium/Downtown.

Along 6th Ave: Chopstix, Jazzbones, Sax on 6th Ave, Masa, Engine House No. 9, The Red Hot, Six Olives, Crown Bar... to name a few. This strip is lively and you can easily bar hop there.

Downtown/Stadium: The Mix, Silverstone, The Hub, Harmon, Swiss, Hell's Kitchen, Paddy Coyne's, Matador, Meconi, Whisky Saloon and Doyle's are some of the faves. They are a bit more spread out, but one can still bar hop as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington