Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 44,121 times

Advertisements

Job relocation to SE Tacoma (705 & 5 area) for a year and I'm looking for a place to live. It will most likely be an apt. It seems as if every site I visit recommends NOT to live in Tacoma. My major concern is safety, meaning I can go for a jog in the evening w/out getting jumped, not waking up to my car alarm, returning home to broken lock, etc. No kids/family, in the 30s, and more towards conservative. I don't mind driving a bit as long as it's not a hour commute every morning. I would like to keep my commute up to 15mile/30min drive each way if it means safety. When responding, please state specific reasons. If you have personal experience, even better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM

238 posts, read 865,967 times
Downtown Tacoma is pretty safe. Again safer than living in Downtown Seattle. Live north of 21st Street in Downtown (where most of the housing is) and you are good. 705 is downtown so I'm guessing you are working in the Dome District? Or up the hill at Charles River?

As for being conservative, Tacoma is pretty liberal. Being north of I-5 in Tacoma times that by 2. Downtown Tacoma is very artsy, gay/gay-friendly, and liberal. Either way Downtown/St. Helens/Stadium is a good starting point IMO.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:41 PM

which area in Tacoma is the unsafe area?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 51,267 times
Default Tacoma and vicinity

Hi,

Gig Harbor,WA would be a 1st choice and if you take public transportation,then no toll across the Narrows Bridge,way more affordable.
Minutes to 705 and Tacoma
I know people personally that love living in this community,very low crime
Scenic and rural feel+gateway to the Olympic peninsula

Taking a look at the immediate area,guessing only Ruston neighborhood a distant second choice,

Stay away from anything immediate east or south of Tacoma,crime jumps and the commute is hell on wheels at times!

DL

Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 20,493 times
I was going to say Gig Harbor as well. It is a safe, little upscale town. It is beautiful, lots of amenities. I would avoid Tacoma period if you can. If you don't mind going a few minutes south, Dupont, just south of Ft Lewis Army Post is also a safe little town tucked in a valley on it's own.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM

How much of a drive (real time traffic commute) would be from Gig Harbor to SE Tacoma? With car and with public transportation.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:24 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
A good friend of mine lives on S. 38th St. near Pacific Ave. It's super-convenient because Route 7 runs from 38th straight to 705 & 5. It's a working-class neighborhood, not the prettiest but worth a look.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM

35 posts, read 161,515 times
The Tac happens to be a pretty liberal place. If you're into the "right" side of life, I would look to the right on a map--Puyallup and Sumner are a pretty quick commute from Downtown Tac.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM

35 posts, read 161,515 times
That being said, Tacoma is not "unsafe" - those are popular understandings of the city 20+ years ago. We've come along way since. Those same articles will likely mention that we have some sort of "Aroma" as well. Not the case anymore.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 PM

6 posts, read 16,689 times
Like someone mentioned earlier, every city has their good and bad areas. It's been almost 10 years since I lived in Tacoma but I will never forget the horror stories I hear near one of the housing projects by I-5. Don't get me wrong, the families there are so friendly...it's usually gang related shootings. Again, nothing uncommon in a metropolitan city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington