Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

I get a riotous laugh out of it too, Sean. Everything wrong with Murrica and Washington is caused by government, especially DOE. And then when either government proposes giving TC less money, there are screams of outrage and grief, even though cutting spending is precisely what they keep saying they want. Which if done at DOE, would mean their jobs would go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 17,836 times
Since the places you mentioned as having job possibilities for your husband are mostly in the Puget Sound area, it seems like you'd want to stick to the towns surrounding Seattle when considering places to live. You might want to check out the Puyallup/SouthHill/Graham area. Its politically conservative around here especially in comparison to the Seattle Metropolitan area. There are also several active LDS stakes in the area and all of them seem to have an abundance of young families. (I'm not LDS but know many families around me that are.) The schools in the Puyallup district have a good reputation for academics as well as sports and the arts. The students and student groups frequently achieve state and national recognition. My daughter calls Puyallup a 'Friday Night Lights' kind of town and that pretty much sums it up. Like any other area, it isn't perfect but I think its a good place to raise kids. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM

321 posts, read 1,135,671 times
I think you'd like Tri-Cities as others have pointed out. Plus, the climate there will be closer to what you're accustomed to versus towns in the Puget Sound area.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:07 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
I think you'd like Tri-Cities as others have pointed out. Plus, the climate there will be closer to what you're accustomed to versus towns in the Puget Sound area.
And don't underestimate the significant impact the weather here will have on your outlook on life and mental state, coming from the Southwest.

It is very difficult for many people to adjust to the amount of rain and gray skies we get here. As one of my friends lamented, "Don't it make my brown eyes blue..."

Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 PM

33 posts, read 128,559 times
I'm an LDS, gun-owning, conservative, too. My family is currently relocating from the Seattle/Everett area to Spokane, partly to get a little more distance from the left-leaning mindset of the Puget Sound area. Washington state has very reasonable & generally common-sense concealed & open carry laws. The greater Seattle area has a pretty healthy LDS population, but I would suggest giving the eastern portion of the state a good look.....particularly the Tri-Cities & Spokane areas, plus the weather is better east of the Cascades!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
Federal Way is not a place you would want to live... Must be a typo...

Left leaning in WA would be conservative in California. Despite the apparent liberal stigma attached to Seattle, I stand by previous statements that Western Washington is the most conservative place I have ever lived in.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Federal Way is not a place you would want to live... Must be a typo...

Left leaning in WA would be conservative in California. Despite the apparent liberal stigma attached to Seattle, I stand by previous statements that Western Washington is the most conservative place I have ever lived in.
Are you from Portland?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 29,510 times
I think this family should just move to Utah. If you have conservative LDS values and love guns, then you would fit in perfectly. I am a life-long resident of Utah and am looking to move around the Everett area to get away from the strong Mormon presence. I have nothing against Mormons, but it is hard to be a more "liberal" type living in an environment like Utah where all politics are controlled by the LDS church.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 AM

5 posts, read 21,361 times
I think perhaps I might have given some of you the wrong impression regarding our feelings about guns. My husband is in law enforcement and we have had the unfortunate experience of "running into" people he has arrested quite a few times, we've also had suspects make death threats against our family- so my concern about carry and concealed weapons laws is primarily for that purpose. If my husband had a different job, neither one of us would have any interest in carrying guns with us. So if any of you were picturing an old beat up, lifted pick up truck with a giant Confederate Flag and a gun rack.... that's not us. LOL!

Thank you for all the responses. I realize the political climate will be very different, which is why Washington was not our first choice- but unfortunately we only have the options of where the jobs are!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM

5 posts, read 21,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORTH View Post
I think this family should just move to Utah. If you have conservative LDS values and love guns, then you would fit in perfectly. I am a life-long resident of Utah and am looking to move around the Everett area to get away from the strong Mormon presence. I have nothing against Mormons, but it is hard to be a more "liberal" type living in an environment like Utah where all politics are controlled by the LDS church.

I don't blame you for wanting to leave Utah. I would consider living in Utah but my husband absolutely would not. The "All is Well in Zion" attitude isn't very appealing to either of us... and there are no jobs there so that kind of rules out Utah anyways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington