Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 34,059 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have always planned to one day move to wa state, I am definitely a nature lover. Last March I decided to go scope things out and decided on the Olympic Peninsula due to the Hoh Rainforest, my kinda weather and beautifull all around ....as I was telling my co-worker about my destination she became frantic, something about Twilight. She then brought the books in for me to read before I went so I could make sure not to miss out (???). Anyway, my concern is the job that I may very likely be getting is in Forks, and surprisingly enough, though I did like the books and the store was cool, I don't find it a good reason to throw all caution to the wind and move there without knowing if the tourism there is causing problems with crime rate and are all these Twilight people really moving there... and am also concerned about my multiracial kids, is this an issue there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
These 2 threads have all the information you would need:

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...-forks-wa.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...some-help.html

There isn't much to say about Forks other than the book/movie really has nothing to do with Forks, WA.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
The Twilight phase will pass. That will cause all sorts of other problems for Forks when the tourists stop coming there, but it'll just go back to being the old has-been logging town that it was before Meyers wrote the stories.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:27 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
I see the potential for an independent film on the effect a successful book/movie series has on a small, nondescript logging town when people from all over the world pack up all their belongings and move there looking for a town that isn't really there based on a movie that was filmed in Canada.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Lol about the movie thing....but seriously, that is what I am asking, is it that bad, are theses people really all showing up? I mean really moving based on a book? My family is from a small town like Forks and so I thought it really comfortable as a choice, the economic thing for me is about the same because I'm from Michigan, but seriously unsure about a town full of tourists who never leave....lol I'm ok with ones that come and go......hmmm considering my being I guess a tourist turned moving maybe that makes me a hipocrit........hmmm ohhh well

Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Oh and to my understanding if I were to move anywhere other than Forks I would have approx 1 hr. commute from the closest city/town....is this a terrible drive in the winter? BTW I am sorry for being so long winded and I appreciate all response.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
One winter in Forks will cure most of these Twilight wannabees.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:53 AM

For me as weather is not really my issue, ice, rain and about 3 to 4 times the snow if that area is what I'm used to in winter, though hopefully you are right about those who are going looking for fictional characters not considering facts....finally watched the movies after readin a few of these threads.........NOPE, NOT Forks guys, not even close.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 34,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacloverofmi View Post
Oh and to my understanding if I were to move anywhere other than Forks I would have approx 1 hr. commute from the closest city/town....is this a terrible drive in the winter? BTW I am sorry for being so long winded and I appreciate all response.
The hour drive to Port Angeles in the winter is not bad at all, I use to do it every weekend and truck drivers do it multiple times a day with no problems. when it snows its usually not very much. 6 inches at the most.

As for you kids, they are fine. they'll find tons of friends.

tourism isnt bad either, they come and go.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 PM

55 posts, read 179,954 times
If you like rain and a small town, you will love Forks! People complain about the Seattle area, which is in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains. Forks is not. Forks receives something like 144 inches of rain a year (for reference, Seattle receives about 33 or so inches).

I personally wouldn't mind it, but with as much people here complain about clouds and rain, I'm under the assumption most people would hate it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington