Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,832 times

Advertisements

Have you checked Craigslist? There are a few local property management companies you could contact (Google search), but they usually post available rentals on Craigslist too. Some rentals are just advertised with a sign on the property, but that's only helpful if you're able to come out and drive around the area.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 AM

260 posts, read 768,441 times
the thing I like about Bainbridge is being able to walk on the ferry (about $7. round trip -you pay on one side only-with car about $15 each way) and head right smack dab into downtown Seattle. Seattle is a great city.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 AM

63 posts, read 254,562 times
As mentioned, Poulsbo is a nice place and close to Keyport. You could also check out Kingston, which is scaled back a bit from Poulsbo, in terms of action, however it's a nice place to live. It also has the ferry that you can go to Edmonds on. Kingston would be about 20-25 min to Keyport.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 15,738 times
Hi Lynn. Thanks for all of the info. We are also looking into moving to the area in June 2011 after my son graduates from high school. We are looking mostly at Poulsbo, and then Silverdale and Bremerton. We want a smaller town with definite water views. We will be renting a house for the first year to see where we want to be before we buy. I can't wait to get out there! I want to ask you though about the crime there. According to City data there are a lot of crimes in Poulsbo. Is this accurate? I live in Illinois right now, in a suburb of Chicago and the crime rating there is higher than here! I can't believe that. Can you give me a bit more info if you get time?
Thanks so much.
Jean in IL. Hopefully soon Poulsbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Poulsbo and Silverdale are the closest towns to Keyport and both are very livable. As Ira said, Poulsbo is awesome. It's only about a 15 min drive to Keyport from here--one of our neighbors even bikes to work there every day. My husband and I have lived in Poulsbo for over three years and love it more each year. We live intown, just a few blocks to the downtown area. We walked our dog to a waterfront restaurant last evening for fish & chips on their patio, and as a bonus, saw a gorgeous sunset behind the Olympic mountains. Poulsbo has a beautiful waterfront, quaint and historic downtown, some really good restaurants, wonderful Central Market (open 24/7), and a burgeoning farmer's market. If you're into mall shopping, you'll probably prefer to go to Seattle--there is a mall in Silverdale, but it's not very big. Silverdale is a very nice town too, just more commercial with shopping, big box stores and chain restaurants. They have a quaint oldtown area on the waterfront too.

Have fun with your search. Lots of good choices around this area.

Lynn

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,832 times
Hi Jean,

I'm not aware of much crime in Poulsbo although certainly crime can happen anywhere. I don't know how crime statistics are compiled on C-D, but living here, I don't have a sense of this town having a crime problem. Maybe you could check with the police department here for more information. Also, I'd assume crime rates are higher in Silverdale and Bremerton as they're larger than Poulsbo.

Lynn

Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Hi Jean,

I'm not aware of much crime in Poulsbo although certainly crime can happen anywhere. I don't know how crime statistics are compiled on C-D, but living here, I don't have a sense of this town having a crime problem. Maybe you could check with the police department here for more information. Also, I'd assume crime rates are higher in Silverdale and Bremerton as they're larger than Poulsbo.

Lynn
Poulsbo's crime rate for both property crimes and violent crimes is lower than the state average and the national average :

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 05:00 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks so much for the info. Can you tell me a bit about jobs there. Are most jobs in Bremerton or Silverdale? I am in customer service by the way.
Thanks so much for all of the info.
Also, are people pretty friendly there if you are a transplant? I'm a pretty outgoing person and would be lost if it's hard to make friends there!
Thanks
Jean

Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanrj2 View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Can you tell me a bit about jobs there. Are most jobs in Bremerton or Silverdale? I am in customer service by the way.
Thanks so much for all of the info.
Also, are people pretty friendly there if you are a transplant? I'm a pretty outgoing person and would be lost if it's hard to make friends there!
Thanks
Jean
There are some jobs in Silverdale, and the naval presence in and around Bremerton employs a fair number of civilians, but there's a surprising number of people who commute to Seattle. Poulsbo is not far from Kingston, and Kingston has a ferry to Edmonds, north of Seattle, and Poulsbo is also not far from Bainbridge, which has a ferry into downtown Seattle.
It's easier of course to find a job close to home, but you do what you have to. I'd rather commute on a ferry than sit in traffic in my car. Folks who do commute by ferry everyday aren't as fond of traveling by ferry as I am.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Actually I love taking the ferry! How long of a commute is that then from say Poulsbo to Bainbridge to Seattle?
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
There are some jobs in Silverdale, and the naval presence in and around Bremerton employs a fair number of civilians, but there's a surprising number of people who commute to Seattle. Poulsbo is not far from Kingston, and Kingston has a ferry to Edmonds, north of Seattle, and Poulsbo is also not far from Bainbridge, which has a ferry into downtown Seattle.
It's easier of course to find a job close to home, but you do what you have to. I'd rather commute on a ferry than sit in traffic in my car. Folks who do commute by ferry everyday aren't as fond of traveling by ferry as I am.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanrj2 View Post
Actually I love taking the ferry! How long of a commute is that then from say Poulsbo to Bainbridge to Seattle?
Thanks for the info.
Kitsap Transit runs buses from various parts of Poulsbo to the Bainbridge Ferry dock. Depending on where on Poulsbo, that'll take between15-35 minutes.
The ferry from Bainbridge to Seattle is 30-35 minutes.
So, if it takes you 10 minutes to get from your house to the nearest bus to the ferry, then 25 minutes on the bus, 35 on the ferry, and then another 10 once you get to downtown Seattle, it adds up. Hour and twenty minutes, each way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington