Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM

9 posts, read 15,697 times

Advertisements

Wow thats pretty cool that there are busses there though to get you to the ferry. I love the idea of moving there more and more! Do you live in Poulsbo? Is there any areas that I should avoid? Are people there pretty friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Kitsap Transit runs buses from various parts of Poulsbo to the Bainbridge Ferry dock. Depending on where on Poulsbo, that'll take between15-35 minutes.
The ferry from Bainbridge to Seattle is 30-35 minutes.
So, if it takes you 10 minutes to get from your house to the nearest bus to the ferry, then 25 minutes on the bus, 35 on the ferry, and then another 10 once you get to downtown Seattle, it adds up. Hour and twenty minutes, each way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,250,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanrj2 View Post
Wow thats pretty cool that there are busses there though to get you to the ferry. I love the idea of moving there more and more! Do you live in Poulsbo? Is there any areas that I should avoid? Are people there pretty friendly?
No, I live in Renton, southeast of Seattle. Lynn( LMB) is our resident expert on Poulsbo, lives there and likes it a lot, last I heard.
But Poulsbo is a friendly place. I'm not aware of any part of Poulsbo that's especially crime ridden or dangerous. Some places might be less convenient, areas further west which would be further from the ferry docks of Kingston or Bainbridge.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Thats cool. It's great to talk to people out there who know the area and can give accurate information. Everything looks great on the internet but can be very decieving! From what I have seen it looks amazing though and I can't wait to get out there. We live just outside of Chicago now and I have lived here all of my life. I was out there on a 10 day vacation last year and fell in love. You know how you go some where and go "this is where I belong." Well thats what my family felt. It was weird. But any information that you can five me would be really appreciated.
Thanks again.
Jean

Quote:
No, I live in Renton, southeast of Seattle. Lynn( LMB) is our resident expert on Poulsbo, lives there and likes it a lot, last I heard.
But Poulsbo is a friendly place. I'm not aware of any part of Poulsbo that's especially crime ridden or dangerous. Some places might be less convenient, areas further west which would be further from the ferry docks of Kingston or Bainbridge.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,250,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanrj2 View Post
Thats cool. It's great to talk to people out there who know the area and can give accurate information. Everything looks great on the internet but can be very decieving! From what I have seen it looks amazing though and I can't wait to get out there. We live just outside of Chicago now and I have lived here all of my life. I was out there on a 10 day vacation last year and fell in love. You know how you go some where and go "this is where I belong." Well thats what my family felt. It was weird. But any information that you can five me would be really appreciated.
Thanks again.
Jean
If you really want to make sure that you feel like you belong here, come visit for 10 days in November, December, or January. I know Chicago has godawful weather in the winter, soooo cold!, but in those months Seattle is gray, dark, wet, and windy. Doesn't suit everybody.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Trust me thats not going to be a problem! I's one of those weird people who get annoyed on sunny days! I love the rain, the more the better, and overcast windy days are the best. I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kinda girl so it's all good to me.

Quote:
If you really want to make sure that you feel like you belong here, come visit for 10 days in November, December, or January. I know Chicago has godawful weather in the winter, soooo cold!, but in those months Seattle is gray, dark, wet, and windy. Doesn't suit everybody.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:28 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,887,339 times
Jean, our experience in Poulsbo (btw, it's pronounced Paulsbo) has been wonderful. We moved here a little over three years ago from Orlando, FL, but we're originally from central Illinois, where we lived for 45 years. We felt immediately "at home" in Poulsbo and plan to stay here for good. People have been very friendly and welcoming, and we think the climate is quite mild, both winter and summer. Illinois had its fair share of gray days too in the winter, only it was much colder (and brown) all winter. The green lawns and evergreen trees and bushes help with the gray skies here I think. Some people have problems dealing with the short winter days, but staying active helps--and going outside for even a short walk every day is important. Compared to the Midwest, winter here actually seems kind of short to me. Spring is the longest season, and can actually go from early Feb to early July. As others have said, Nov and Dec are the stormiest months, wet & windy, but compared to the Chicago area, not so bad. Acclimating easily has a lot to do with perspective, and after living through winters of blizzards, ice storms and below zero temps, we'll gladly take drizzle, rain and cloudy skies! There's actually no bad parts of town in Poulsbo, just some areas that are older than others. Good luck with your search!

Lynn

Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM

Wow, you've live in two of my favorite places in the world, Orlando and WA. We will be in Orlando in 4 weeks for a 12 day lond trip to WDW and Universal. I agree about the brown winters here. It looks disgusting come February when the snow is mushy brown and black soot on the side of the road and all of the grass is dead and brown. We are going to come out in March during Spring break to look for a house to rent. I can't wait to get out there. I'm so sick of IL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
Jean, our experience in Poulsbo (btw, it's pronounced Paulsbo) has been wonderful. We moved here a little over three years ago from Orlando, FL, but we're originally from central Illinois, where we lived for 45 years. We felt immediately "at home" in Poulsbo and plan to stay here for good. People have been very friendly and welcoming, and we think the climate is quite mild, both winter and summer. Illinois had its fair share of gray days too in the winter, only it was much colder (and brown) all winter. The green lawns and evergreen trees and bushes help with the gray skies here I think. Some people have problems dealing with the short winter days, but staying active helps--and going outside for even a short walk every day is important. Compared to the Midwest, winter here actually seems kind of short to me. Spring is the longest season, and can actually go from early Feb to early July. As others have said, Nov and Dec are the stormiest months, wet & windy, but compared to the Chicago area, not so bad. Acclimating easily has a lot to do with perspective, and after living through winters of blizzards, ice storms and below zero temps, we'll gladly take drizzle, rain and cloudy skies! There's actually no bad parts of town in Poulsbo, just some areas that are older than others. Good luck with your search!

Lynn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington