Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 24,906 times

Advertisements

My fiance is being relocated to Keyport Washington, and we currently live in Portsmouth, NH. It is a beautiful town with a down town historic area, right near the ocean and there are plenty of things to do around, shopping, entertainment, malls, reastaurants etc. We love where we live now, however we are excited about the move to WA. I have never made a move like this before expecially across the country and I have no idea how to choose a place to live. He will be working in Keyport, so we would like to be within a 30 minute commute or so, and we would like to be in an area that has "things" to do, however we don't need to be in a "city" environment. I have done some research and have heart that Silverdale, Tracyton, Port Ordchard, Bainbride Island all all good places to live, I have also heard good and bad things about Bremerton. I would like to know what people think of these areas and if there are other places I should be looking at... Also we would be renting so I would need it be be semi affordable, for example a 2 bedroom for around $1000 a month, if that is possible. Thanks All.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Bremerton is getting better. They're trying to revitalize itself into something fashionable. I like it. Very subdued and nice.

Bainbridge Island is VERY nice, über-pricey. I'd say its definitely more for families. Great school district.

Others, I only pass through, can't really give an opinion-- other than the area I was in Port Orchard had very nice view. Port Orchard might be a little far from Keyport.

I notice you haven't mentioned Poulsbo or Kingston.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 PM

I have just started looking as this opportunity just came up a week ago, and we will have to move with in a month or so, a little overwhelming. As for Poulsbo or Kingston, I haven't found anything about them in my research but I am more than willing to look into them, you have a good opinion of them I take it?

Thanks for your help

Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Poulsbo is awesome. Has a little history, on the water, great views, increasingly "hip" , it's become something of a " poor man's" Bainbridge, which is to say it's not cheap either but much less expensive than Bainbridge. I don't know how far Keyport is from Poulsbo, but lots of people really like Poulsbo.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,745 times
Default kitsap

I worked in outside sales is all the towns you mentioned. Manchester is little known but a good affordable destination. Some parts of Bremerton are rough. around Silverdale by the fairgrounds are nice. explore Chico too.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,519 times
Poulsbo and Silverdale are the closest towns to Keyport and both are very livable. As Ira said, Poulsbo is awesome. It's only about a 15 min drive to Keyport from here--one of our neighbors even bikes to work there every day. My husband and I have lived in Poulsbo for over three years and love it more each year. We live intown, just a few blocks to the downtown area. We walked our dog to a waterfront restaurant last evening for fish & chips on their patio, and as a bonus, saw a gorgeous sunset behind the Olympic mountains. Poulsbo has a beautiful waterfront, quaint and historic downtown, some really good restaurants, wonderful Central Market (open 24/7), and a burgeoning farmer's market. If you're into mall shopping, you'll probably prefer to go to Seattle--there is a mall in Silverdale, but it's not very big. Silverdale is a very nice town too, just more commercial with shopping, big box stores and chain restaurants. They have a quaint oldtown area on the waterfront too.

Have fun with your search. Lots of good choices around this area.

Lynn

Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM

This is all good information, it looks like they will be flying my fiance out Wednesday to check out the area so I wanted to have a few places for him to go look at, this is a pretty big move for us, but we are excited, I am really nervous about all the rain... we are big out doorsy people....

Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Just dress properly for the outdoor activities. And remember, rain here is not all downpour... more than times than not, it's short and light or misty.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I lived in Boston for a few years in between (back in Seattle) and you will find a big difference between NH and Seattle. It feels different in every way but you will like that the winters aren't so crazy cold with those ridiculous "arctic blasts". All the towns you mention are pretty small, in fact, Seattle really is not a metropolis. For a big city, it doesn't feel the least bit like one. I would think you would like Poulsbo or Bainbridge, both are nice. Personally, I never liked the "Live Free or Die" license plate. Disconcerting to see on the highway.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks for all this information, we currently own here in portsmouth and will be renting it out as this move is only for a couple of years. With that we are looking to Rent in WA, and I am not sure as to the best way to find a place. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington