Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,400 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in and grew up in Southern California, and I'm ready for a change. Despite growing up here, I have never fit into the surf/beach mentality of SoCal. I am down to earth, laid back, somewhat private, and simple. I'm a twenty year old lady and just finished my undergrad work at the local community college. I've been on my own since I graduated high school and am now considering moving to either Portland or Seattle. I am looking for feedback on going to another community college in one of these cities and hope to transfer to a four-year school thereafter. I want to experience an enriching friendly, and musical community, and learn! My focus is music, as I love to sing and listen! I'm looking for adventure, knowledge, friendship, culture and memories.Where do I start? I need to decide!!!

Last edited by blunt73; 06-08-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,632 posts, read 57,651,190 times
Portland has a pretty broad offering of colleges and music scene, I'm sure Seattle is similar. The costs of living and availability of jobs could be a barrier. Since you have a specific interest, you better come visit and get a feel for the particular music scene and culture you desire. You can get flights from most of CA for under $100, can take the train between cities for ~$25. I would trust you have or could find a friend to show you specific venues, as just arriving and hunting could be painful and unfruitful. There seem to be way too many 20 somethings of various subcultures lurking in the inner cities to make me think you could be "very turned off" in either place, but likely there is a spot for you in either.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM

850 posts, read 3,705,334 times
Portland sounds like a perfect match compared to Seattle. Portland is pretty laid back, and Seattle tends to be more professional. There's a huge music scene in both Portland and Seattle, but I think it's a bit moreso in Portland. I think the focus on music leans toward the folk style. What kind of music do you play?

Portland Community College is one of the best in the nation, and you can transfer to Portland State University, Oregon State University, or if you want to drive a ways you can go to Western Oregon University.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,400 times
Actually, I am more into folk music, sometimes a little bit of rock.

Thanks for the input! I've been looking into those schools. Very helpful.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,632 posts, read 57,651,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt73 View Post
Actually, I am more into folk music, sometimes a little bit of rock.

Thanks for the input! I've been looking into those schools. Very helpful.
I second Western OR U, and PCC

This female band is more 'bluegrass' (very rare in Portland) than folk,
Misty River :: Compelling Voices of Acoustic Americana They are quite good, Chris, Dana, or Laura would be able to get you connected. They are a great group of gals and very friendly and helpful.

I would come to Fossil (middle of no-where - But FREE !!) first weekend of July
Wheeler County Bluegrass Festival

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,879,320 times
I think Seattle or Portland would be great choices either way. However, it seems like Seattle has a more thriving and varied music scene than Portland. Or maybe I just know more about Seattle's music scene than Portland.

Seattle and Portland both have good community colleges and good 4 year colleges to transfer to. Seattle and Portland are similar in many ways but have some notable differences. If you want a a bit of a bigger city vibe, Seattle wins over Portland(But Portland still has a great city vibe). If you want ultra laid back and slow paced then Portland seems to win over Seattle(However, Seattle is still very laid back and slow paced compared to certain other cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: