Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
imagine if you got hit in the nuts with the ball at that temp...
Maybe it'd hurt less from being half numb?

I do know that getting hit in the hands when it's cold is brutal.
I did baseball practice once at 3 C/38 F on our first "mild" day in March.
A hardball and wooden bat, first hit... I felt like I broke every bone in my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Maybe it'd hurt less from being half numb?

I do know that getting hit in the hands when it's cold is brutal.
I did baseball practice once at 3 C/38 F on our first "mild" day in March.
A hardball and wooden bat, first hit... I felt like I broke every bone in my hands.
It certainly does feel more painful to be injured in colder weather.

Today I had the opposite problem. While playing football, I had to go inside because I thought I was going to vomit and pass out. Must have been dehydration. Or maybe it was because I'm really out of shape.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 06-12-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,393 times
Quote:
Cameroon is near the equator though. (somewhere less than 10, 15 or 20 degrees N?)
Likely the soccer players will probably play in any kind of weather given to them...
but the fans of those countries... it may be a hard sell if the windchills can approach 0 C.

If you lived on the equator,
would you consider travelling to Melbourne mid-winter to watch you favourite team?
Yes, because ..

A. I can't say no to a holiday
B. I know I'll be tortured by Melbourne's climate only temporarily.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,068 times
I think it is actually better that the world cup is being held in winter. Temps in the 60sF are probably ideal for sports. South African winters are not like Toronto winters anyway.

I was playing basketball today when it was only in low-mid 80sF and partly (almost mostly) cloudy and I could barely move after 15 minutes of playing. I run several times a week and have a decent endurance but the heat and humidity take all the energy out of you.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 PM

813 posts, read 951,054 times
Quote:
Thanks for finding all the cities and including stats.

Why must it be southern hemishpere winter?
All the Europeans insisting on watching soccer in June and July?

Soccer is a decidedly summer sport in North America and probably Europe too.
I would expect players to be visibly-sweaty after 10 minutes of game play.
Personally, I enjoy heavy-excersize when it's in the high 30's C (95-104 F) if I have a surplus of cold drinks.
(I usually get a few stares, as it's "supposed to be dangerous" )

Regardless,
looks like all of South Africa has lovely winters...
though it will be interesting to see if there are any rain-outs in Cape Town.
(the SW part of South Africa has a Mediterrannean climate )

Australia bidding for World Cup but FIFA troubled by Aussie winters?
Sydney's and Brisbane's winters would be similar to South Africa's.
It'd be funny to hear teams like Cameroon (Africa's most successful team?) drop out, afraid of the cold,
upon hearing some of the games will be held in Adelaide, Melbourne and Canberra.
The English season is held from August through to May. The Italian and Spanish leagues are similar.
The European Champions League finishes in May.
Most other European leagues are the same but some in Russia and Scandanavia start a bit earlier and take a month or so off over December and January as the pitches freeze over.
To reschedule all of these leagues would be a nightmare (and as for Russia and Scandanavia impossible) just because of a southern hemisphere country hosting the World Cup which is a once in a blue moon occurence anyway.
Also you have forgotton that most of the worlds best players including players from Cameroon actually play for a team in Europe and would be used to playing soccer in much colder conditions than 13°C / 55°F which is what they'd get in Melbourne.

We like yourselves have our soccer season in the summer but that is only because it is a sport that can't compete for crowd numbers in the winter against our more favoured football codes.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 AM

148 posts, read 323,178 times
Yeah, I don't think Sydney's winters would be worse than playing outside in England or even Spain in the January.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:11 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,393 times
SYdney has warm and sunny winters.

Melbourne has very cold, cloudy and rainy windy winters.

Up yours S***ney

Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
SYdney has warm and sunny winters.

Melbourne has very cold, cloudy and rainy windy winters.

Up yours S***ney
I wouldn't classify the winters as warm and sunny, more like cool to mild, and sunnier in the 2nd half of winter. (June is the wettest month of the year, and the first half of July is quite cloudy).
Even here, nearly 200km due north, there is still a definite winter, albeit shorter in duration.
The winters would in Sydney be better than Adelaide for example, as the number of days with maximum temps less than 15-16C is very low, whereas Adelaide, like Melbourne has heaps.
Going back to South Africa, it should be remembered that Johanessburg is about 1600 metres or 4500 feet above sea level -which severely alters the climate.
Only alpine villages in Oz are this high, and table-land towns are typically about 1000 -1200 metres elevation at the most.
Durban has virtually no winter, similar to south-east Queenland.
Cape Town is more maritime and oceanic, similar to, or slightly cooler than Sydney.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
So if weather isn't the reason, why did Australia have difficulty bidding for the World Cup?

Okay, maybe people in Northern Europe are used to chilly weather for watching soccer ( )

But I would hate attending an outdoor sporting event when there's a chance for it dropping below 7 C/45 F.
I would rather it be 105/40 C with blazing-sun; I'd just have to buy a lot of iced drinks.

Why I found winter in South Africa odd
is that snow is "not unknown" in many of their cities

and with games that last into the night, it could easily be below 50 F/10 C without a cold snap...
(which would make me nervous about a potential cold-snap )

Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
So if weather isn't the reason, why did Australia have difficulty bidding for the World Cup?
Weather isn't the reason for the timing of the World Cup. It will be in June/July no matter what so weather is taken into account for host cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather